AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PC World magazine has a test/review article covering digital and analog video cables.

"The Cable Game

Salespeople may tell you that exotic video cables deliver a better picture
..."

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I saw that. Review places should take note on how well written it was.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
When we want to watch Tivo in our movie room, I run 3 of the white red yellow cables so they are about 20 feet each coupled with RCA barrels then into the projector I cut up an old VGA cable and spliced into the the red white and yellow. We even went so far as to rewire the tivo in the movie room and used a markertek premade component to vga and could see no difference in the picture so we sent it back and went with my home made one.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks for posting the link. I hope many people read and understand what the article says.

But, nobody's at all surprised at the results, are they?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Nice review... I found a place to buy my cables through that review (cablewholesale.com) I just got a 6ft Subwoofer cable, 25ft Componenet Video Cable, and 25ft Digital Coaxial (RCA type) Cable for $60 shipped.

they look like pretty decent cables too, better than what I had to temporarily use right now anyway... now I can run my cable box to my projector without moving it next to my projector (all I have are 6 foot Audioquest Component video cables... that I spent too much money on a couple years ago...) :D

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I think what I found most upsetting, but not to the point that I need therapy, was the performance of the Kimber line which are stated to be 75 nominal but measured at 85-86. Now I know in engineering sometimes it's about what you can get away with, but what's up with Kimber? Maybe they're not using RG59 or maybe someone goofed with the measurements?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'm happy with my belden/canare.

Seth

·
Registered
132 Posts
So does this mean I wont notice "any" difference on my HD Tv and HD receiver using monster cables or the much cheaper bottom of the line wal mart cables?

The article doesn't come out and state that to me.

I'm planning on going to best buy today and buy some monster component cables.....well, I was but now I'm not sure :(

Thanks,

Amber

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you want them to say? They didn't test those cables head-to-head. All they were able to conclude was that for the cables they tested, quality was not correlated to price.

It's possible that one of the cables you buy is bad, or badly made. In that case you could very well see a difference. But would one expect to see a difference between the two? NO.

(I can say that because I'm not restricted to the context of the review. I have read many reviews and many tests (and tried some of my own). A definite pattern has emerged. :cool: )

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The article was interesting. Unfortunately I think the authors themselves may have not had the technical ability to understand the data that the Tektronix engineers were giving them. For instance, the variation in impedance of the RCA connectors at 50 ohms is 25 ohms while the variation in impedance of the Kimber cables at 85-86 ohms is only 10 ohms off center. What it doesn't mention is that the size of an RCA connector is electrically very short compared to the actual risetimes (maximum frequency needed) of the video signals on the cable. The amount of reflection from these connectors at that frequency is really negligible. On the other hand, a long cable with a 10 ohm variation might have a much larger effect. There conclusion is correct in that they really couldn't see a difference. For long runs, I would surely recommend a good Belden or Canare cable. If you can't build your own then look for recommendations of companies that use high quality brand name cables like Belden and Canare.

..Doyle

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
I'm planning on going to best buy today and buy some monster component cables...
Oh my... don't do that! As Doyle mentions above I wouldn't worry too much if you are running

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
That's precisely what it means Amber. Unless the cable is somehow defective, there will be no visual difference amongst them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Okee, thanks mighty wise ones. :)

Do you guys ever leave the house or have a life? I'm a geekgirrl but I don't have 1/10th the knowledge you guys have on this stuff or anything for that matter.

I found some cables on line that are a LOT cheaper so I'm looking into ordering them on line.

Thanks again,

Amber

·
Banned
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgirrl
Okee, thanks mighty wise ones. :)

Do you guys ever leave the house or have a life?

Amber
Not the engineer population here, no... :D

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Thanks for the link. No real suprises there, but interesting reading.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Quote:
Do you guys ever leave the house or have a life? I'm a geekgirrl but I don't have 1/10th the knowledge you guys have on this stuff or anything for that matter.
Oh, but I'm sure you are equally knowledgeable in other geeky areas. Most of have acquired our knowledge while or still in prison. Others have read Audio for Dummies or Audio Cliffnotes. Except for those of us in Solitary or on Death Row, we manage to get out quite a bit. Sometimes, you'll see us on roadcrews picking up trash or doing other interesting cardio-vascular work. We are generally quite healthy with rippling bodies and if you ever get the chance, we'd welcome a visit where we can get to know you better and show you how we make shanks from burned out woofer coils or replacement styli for our turntables from bits of wood and dinner forks. You'll find the more knowledgeable of us have been in Federal Prison which have more comprehensive facilities where we sharpen our mental acumen and pursue advanced degrees.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.