AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been looking to upgrade my sub for quite some time now. I had been told by mason over at SVS that the PC12 -NSD would be a step up from my paradigm PW-2100, but I'm curiouse to know how much of a difference there is between the PC12-NSD and the PC 12+. I've read alot of good things about the NSD, but was wondering if the 12+ was a step up from the NSD. Is it worth the extra $$. It would be very much appreciated to hear some feedback from all you PC12 + owners or anyone who has had the chance to compare these two subs. Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You should probably ask the guys at SVS what they recommend for you. They are very helpful with that and they would know the most about the differences between their subs. Also you could check any discussions on AVS between the difference between the PB12-NSD vs PB12-Plus since those are the "box" equivalents and may provide more results. With that said since you are looking at both I'm guessing the $400 price difference isnt a matter and I'd say go for the Plus.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886 /forum/post/17004106

Hi, I've been looking to upgrade my sub for quite some time now. I had been told by mason over at SVS that the PC12 -NSD would be a step up from my paradigm PW-2100, but I'm curiouse to know how much of a difference there is between the PC12-NSD and the PC 12+. I've read alot of good things about the NSD, but was wondering if the 12+ was a step up from the NSD. Is it worth the extra $$. It would be very much appreciated to hear some feedback from all you PC12 + owners or anyone who has had the chance to compare these two subs. Thanks.

IMO, aside from the SPL and SQ advantage of the PLUS over the NSD ...

what makes the + 'worth it' is the variable tuning (includes sealed mode).

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
In the September issue of Sound&Vision magazine, they compared the Plus to 5 other subs including the Fathom F112 ($2,800).

This is the summary on the Plus. "The PB-12 Plus at least matches the performance of any subwoofer in this test, and its price is about 40% less than that of the next-least-expensive sub we tested. If you've got the space for this behemoth, it's probably the best deal going for a high-end subwoofer."

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Compared to the PC12-NSD, the PC12-Plus has a stronger woofer, higher amp power, greater internal enclosure volume, and more port area. As you might expect, it has - on average - about 60% more max output capability across the pass band, but that value exceeds 2X more output at 25 Hz (the heart of deep bass country).

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You guys are always sharp and always on time!! I was searching for that PC-12 forum to answer the EXACT question that this thread answered completly. I have decided on a dual SVS set-up in my small family room (still waiting to buy), and was debating between the PC-12 and PC-12+. I will now wait for a used PC12+, or for a great deal.

One comment that I want to make is that SVS always claims to compare the PC as identical to the PB series; however, I would anticipate some differences due to the difference in design and internal volume. Here are the internal volumes of those subs:

PB10: 5985 in3 (325 watt)

PB12: 9450 in3 (325 watt)

PB12+: 9975 in3 (525 watt)

PB Ultra: 12177 in3 (750 watt)

PC12: 7038 in3 (325 watt)

PC12+: 8043.5 in3 (525 watt)

PC Ultra: 9250 in3 (750 watt)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
PB vs PC, the PB equivalent will have slightly more output capability due to the slightly larger internal volume...and I stress slightly which to me in this caliber of sub is splitting hairs. SVS has the numbers but I forget as it's been since so long since I inquired with them but the difference is minor. Anyone trying to decide between them should go with which form factor fits their placement options, taste and other priorities best. For all intensive purposes they are the same performance wise.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/17031788

You guys are always sharp and always on time!! I was searching for that PC-12 forum to answer the EXACT question that this thread answered completly. I have decided on a dual SVS set-up in my small family room (still waiting to buy), and was debating between the PC-12 and PC-12+. I will now wait for a used PC12+, or for a great deal.

One comment that I want to make is that SVS always claims to compare the PC as identical to the PB series; however, I would anticipate some differences due to the difference in design and internal volume. Here are the internal volumes of those subs:

PB10: 5985 in3 (325 watt)

PB12: 9450 in3 (325 watt)

PB12+: 9975 in3 (525 watt)

PB Ultra: 12177 in3 (750 watt)

PC12: 7038 in3 (325 watt)

PC12+: 8043.5 in3 (525 watt)

PC Ultra: 9250 in3 (750 watt)

Those are not the internal enclosure volumes. They are the gross external cabinet dims (at least on the ones I spot checked).

In order to determine the effective internal cabinet volume, you need to subtract baffle/wall thickness, bracing, etc. The cylinders don't lose as much going from outside/inside since the tube walls are thinner and there is no bracing, so the box/cylinders are closer than you might suspect in effective internal volume. Also for the cylinders, you need to only use the tube height, and not include the base plate height.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen /forum/post/17034716

Those are not the internal enclosure volumes. They are the gross external cabinet dims (at least on the ones I spot checked).

In order to determine the effective internal cabinet volume, you need to subtract baffle/wall thickness, bracing, etc. The cylinders don't lose as much going from outside/inside since the tube walls are thinner and there is no bracing, so the box/cylinders are closer than you might suspect in effective internal volume. Also for the cylinders, you need to only use the tube height, and not include the base plate height.

Are the port lengths different in the PC versus the PB?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts