AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have some questions regarding the PC12-PLUS vs my dual PB-2000s. Assuming all factors are equal (same movie, same scene, same volume, same mlp) will a pair of PC12-PLUS sound or feel better/different from my current dual PB-2000 setup?


I'm trying to grasp exactly what people experience with higher end subs if the lower end (not that a PB2000 is low ha) ones are capable of hitting low frequencies. I don't necessarily need imax levels but I want to have very DEEP, controlled bass. I enjoy what I hear/feel now but there's a sense of wondering what the next step up would bring me.


Upgrading to a pair of plus subs would be realistically my highest financial upgrade possible and I'm ok with making the jump if it'll be worth the extra $ over what I have invested in the 2000s.


My room is about 2500cu ft so I know that it doesn't take much to pressurize but I'm uncertain how different subs sound from one another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Im in the same boat as you I have dual pb2000 s in a pretty small room and rhey sound great but I keep wondering what the next step up wouldnbe. In my case tho im saving up for 2 ultras instead.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,866 Posts
I wouldn't upgrade from PB2000 to Plus. I'd step up to the Ultras. It's not like you have one PB1000- dual Plus's would be a large upgrade.


Save your money, or spend it elseware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1519757/pc12-plus-question/0_100#post_24406623


Ok have some questions regarding the PC12-PLUS vs my dual PB-2000s. Assuming all factors are equal (same movie, same scene, same volume, same mlp) will a pair of PC12-PLUS sound or feel better/different from my current dual PB-2000 setup?


I'm trying to grasp exactly what people experience with higher end subs if the lower end (not that a PB2000 is low ha) ones are capable of hitting low frequencies. I don't necessarily need imax levels but I want to have very DEEP, controlled bass. I enjoy what I hear/feel now but there's a sense of wondering what the next step up would bring me.


Upgrading to a pair of plus subs would be realistically my highest financial upgrade possible and I'm ok with making the jump if it'll be worth the extra $ over what I have invested in the 2000s.


My room is about 2500cu ft so I know that it doesn't take much to pressurize but I'm uncertain how different subs sound from one another.

You get to run them in 16Hertz mode and now your getting a bunch more content to feel and if needed a lot more clean output
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
With 2 pc12+s vs 2 pb2000s you get more than 10 db more output at 16 hertz that's a huge upgrade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I also think of that ultra, it's a thing of beauty. I could swing one now but a second would be a long ways away. "clean output" is a phrase I like hearing. I haven't had much if any to complain about but I just wonder what the others sound like. I don't like the idea of giving up a dual setup, even if it's "temporary" but it seems as though an ultra would be biblical in my smallish room
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy  /t/1519757/pc12-plus-question#post_24406756


With 2 pc12+s vs 2 pb2000s you get more than 10 db more output at 16 hertz that's a huge upgrade

I guess I'm having a tough time with how more output will SOUND in real time, at the same volume level as a sub with less output. Only one way to find out I suppose ha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Yeah its gonna be expensive and I hate to give up duals temp. So thats why ill just order 2 ultras at the same time. Plus u know that this setup is the highest you could go with the company it should put a end to the wondering... at least for alittle while
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
All I can help with is that I know how my system sounds in 20 hertz tune vs 16 hz and I never want to go back to 20 hertz. Movies just have a more solid (full sounding) impact down low when needed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
So once you upgrade to the 12 Plus or Ultra's, will this take away the "I wonder" question or will it come back with "Hmmm. I wonder if I could get more extension with cleaner bass if I went with a couple of Submersive's or Orbital Shifters, or Cap 2's or S2's?"


I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend, WAF and space. Then if none of these bother you, then skip the upgrade path a few steps ahead and go for the best, which I believe are the subs I listed. Or DIY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't feel I'm "running out of steam" but wonder what the quality of a more expensive sub offers. I don't need quality above reference levels since the room isn't terribly big but going down to 16Hz with authority is what sparked this thread. Placement/size isn't an issue nor is WAF (a term which I loathe btw. No one should impede you from buying what you want but that's another thread ha). Funds are an issue now since I bought a fixer upper but one ultra or two PC12-Plus could be possible. Just trying to get a feel for how worth it this jump would be.


I highly doubt I'd be wondering what a sub higher than the ultra would sound like since any of those are unobtainable financially.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1519757/pc12-plus-question#post_24406961


I don't feel I'm "running out of steam" but wonder what the quality of a more expensive sub offers. I don't need quality above reference levels since the room isn't terribly big but going down to 16Hz with authority is what sparked this thread. Placement/size isn't an issue nor is WAF (a term which I loathe btw. No one should impede you from buying what you want but that's another thread ha). Funds are an issue now since I bought a fixer upper but one ultra or two PC12-Plus could be possible. Just trying to get a feel for how worth it this jump would be.


I highly doubt I'd be wondering what a sub higher than the ultra would sound like since any of those are unobtainable financially.
This can get expensive very quickly. Have you considered the vented PSA subs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60  /t/1519757/pc12-plus-question#post_24406971


This can get expensive very quickly. Have you considered the vented PSA subs?

Yes it's one expensive hobby for sure ha. I looked at PSA and spoke with Tom a few times but something tells me I want to stick with SVS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
I think you'll run into the problem of when is it enough. I currently own dual PB2000s in a 1900 cu ft room and although it is nice, it isn't anywhere near what I know it could sound like. I used to have a JL 13w7 with 1400W RMS in a tiny car and when it hit the low notes, your eyes vibrated and your face felt like it was rippling. It was a very unusual experience but a very awesome one. Now do you need that in your home theater? Probably not, but it goes to show that there is always something more.


Have you taken any measurements of your subwoofers? If so, could you post those so members here have an idea on what your current subs are capable of in your room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't have any type of measuring equipment unfortunately. Just my ears. I don't believe I'll keep wondering what else is out there if I have a plus or ultra because those are at the high end of my realistic budget. A ZO6 vette is my favorite car but it's unrealistic so I'm more than happy with my Focus ST. However, I COULD go more than my dual PB-2000s now but whether or not I should is what I'm researching.
 

·
Eyes and Ears Thriller
Joined
·
262 Posts
I don't have any type of measuring equipment unfortunately. Just my ears. I don't believe I'll keep wondering what else is out there if I have a plus or ultra because those are at the high end of my realistic budget. A ZO6 vette is my favorite car but it's unrealistic so I'm more than happy with my Focus ST. However, I COULD go more than my dual PB-2000s now but whether or not I should is what I'm researching.
I know this is crazy late and don't know what decision you made, but I will tell you this. I have 2 PB2ks and added 2 PC12+s to the family tuned in 16Hz mode and I will never need anything else as far as low-end extension goes. It's absolutely phenomenal and brought together the entire audio experience. We're speechless. So phenomenal in fact, that the wife wants to watch all kinds of movies over again just to experience the newly found expansive and visceral sound. When she heard Deus Ex Machina speak her eyes were larger than I've ever seen them. This quad sub combo was worth every penny spent. Duals? Impressive. Quads? Unreal.
 
  • Like
Reactions: javan robinson

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
I know this is crazy late and don't know what decision you made, but I will tell you this. I have 2 PB2ks and added 2 PC12+s to the family tuned in 16Hz mode and I will never need anything else as far as low-end extension goes. It's absolutely phenomenal and brought together the entire audio experience. We're speechless. So phenomenal in fact, that the wife wants to watch all kinds of movies over again just to experience the newly found expansive and visceral sound. When she heard Deus Ex Machina speak her eyes were larger than I've ever seen them. This quad sub combo was worth every penny spent. Duals? Impressive. Quads? Unreal.
I'm currently wandering around the same thing.

Right now I have one PB 2000 and one PB 1000 and I might trade up the 1000 for a pc12 plus or I might keep the 1000 and still get my pc12 Plus on the way to quad Subs.

Decisions... Decisions....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I'm currently wandering around the same thing.

Right now I have one PB 2000 and one PB 1000 and I might trade up the 1000 for a pc12 plus or I might keep the 1000 and still get my pc12 Plus on the way to quad Subs.

Decisions... Decisions....
You arent the only one. I havent had my dual PB2000's for long but I already want more. Considered PB4000's, but I cant spend almost $4000 on subs. Every time I see someone with PB-1000/2000's ask about what direction to go for an upgrade I see people say "go PSA or HSU" dam near every time. Im very close to sending my newest PB back for a refund and selling the other for dual PSA V15's.

Dam you guys and this forum!!:D
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top