AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many will take issue with this, but I was messing around with a new rental (Billy Elliot) and the dreaded PCfriendly load option popped up. Always annoying to have to deal with this. Well, because my kids were a little late for the opening curtain I decided to install the PCfrienly. I had tried this on earlier movies with no success ie: it would not play. To my surprise this version worked complete with 5.1 pass thru to my reciever and I didn't do a lick of set-up. The picture was stunning to boot! Great contrast, vibrant colors. I swear I could not decide if I liked the ATI player better or not..I was on my way out to play hoops and did not see the entire movie, but upon returning wife and kids said it was great. It looks like it will not run in a windowed mode but that is not an issue here. I am using a Radeon card, Fortissimo SC and celery 600 in win98. It drives an RCA MM52100 RPTV at 8000x600 max resolution. I would not have believed it if I did not see it with my own eyes. Does any one know what engine drives this software? Somebody else please load this version of PCF off of the Billy Elliot DVD and tell me if I am seeing things..

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Does any one know what engine drives this software?"

Sure, it is driven by whatever software player engine you had installed on the PC before installing the PCFriendly shell.

------------------

Best Regards, Cliff

Digital Connection, LLC

[email protected]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the reply..I have 2.. the ATI and WinDVD 2.6.4....so you are saying this PCF will not run as a stand-alone? Does not make much sense to me..please explain?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Nelman:

Also take note that Billy Elliot is one of the nicest looking transfers I've seen this year and I would be willing to bet that it would look great on any dvd player.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I read this with curiosity and went to the pcfriendly.com homepage. From their own site:

"Since PCFriendly relies on the DVD software that's already installed on your computer to play video, it is very important that this software is functioning correctly. You will most likely find that if PCFriendly is encountering problems trying to play a movie, it is because there is a problem in this software that needs to be addressed by either the maker of the system or of the software itself.

Some software DVD players require that a movie be played in them in order to complete the setup procedure. Until this is done, the player may not even be detected by PCFriendly. Even if it is, you will most likely encounter problems in PCFriendly when trying to play video until this is done."

But it's anyone's guess to whether it was using ATI or WinDVD on your computer...

Thanks for the post. I was always scared to click the "ok" button on PC Friendly discs, but if it uses my default player I'll probably see what they have to offer next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.