AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based purely on a video playback performance aspect, would a AT5ION-I based HTPC out perform a PCH A-200? I know the HTPC would offer many features that the A-200 wouldn't, but I'm wondering if the video playback performance would be better on one vs the other?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The popcorn hour is a glitchy, bitchy, cheap piece of crap. I have had two of them. When they work, they do a pretty good job, but they are unreliable, unupgradeable, and a waste of time. Build your own HTPC and you will not regret it. Better componets, better performance, better everything. My video playback is perfect on my HTPC, whereas the popcorn hour was hit or miss. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've replaced one of my HTPC with an A-200 and love it. No more codec, patches, software, update or configuration crap to deal with. I plug it in and it plays everything I've wanted it to with out a hiccup in about 5 minutes out of the box. I'm not really sure how either would outperform the other as long as it plays your files the way you would expect. I do not miss wrestling with the HTPC to get it to do what I want. If its to play movies/videos stored on a drive locally or remotely on your LAN it would be silly to build a HTPC.

On the other hand if you need anything that the streamer does not provide like a web browser or certain applications then you have no choice but to use an HTPC. Also the price difference is huge, about $180 for a A-200/A-210 or about $500 for your other option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts