AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First, the question, then the explanation:

Is there a PCI(e) card that will take a component video input, and compress it for display on a remote media extender using vista's version of MCE? Hopefully one that does most of the encode in hardware, so it doesn't bog the CPU down.

High quality is a must, since some of the remote screens will be 50" 1080p plasmas.

The reason why:

I'm planning out a remodel, and trying to decide between a dedicated component video switcher and discrete sources or using an HTPC with a media extender at each TV in the house.

Reading the forum, it seems like HD-DVD and BluRay are iffy at best on an HTPC, and wouldn't be displayable on the remote screens anyway.

If there is a component video input card, I could use an external source (HD-DVD, BluRay, whatever), feed the HDMI output to my main theater projector, and feed component into my HTPC for sending to the remote locations.

A side question for anyone who has read this far: Am I dreaming thinking that one high powered computer will be able to stream video to 5 media extenders and also act as a dual HD (cablecard) PVR at the same time? I figure I will at least need a raid disk array, and perhaps a dual CPU motherboard...

Thanks a lot,

--Carey

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes. You are dreaming. If and when anyone makes a computer board that can compress and digitize high-definition component video, the studios will turn on the image constraint token and downres all high-definition component output from HD DVD players, blu-ray players, and upconverting DVD players immediately.

Most of us are hoping no card like the one you are asking for will ever exist...

Sorry...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured (last time I looked at an HTPC was a year or two ago). Looks like the only real solution is to hardwire everything using a component matrix switch, and maybe just use a cheap pc as an input to play mp3's in any room.

Thanks,

--Carey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.