AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of searching and waiting, I finally found one available in the US. It is Aopen PCX6600-DV128LP. Just do a search on ebay for DV128LP. Just ordered one. This has built in heat pipe for dead silent operations also can be adjusted to fit those low profile HTPC cases. Will let you know how it performs, compared to my old ATI 9600.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which Matrox model has at least 128MB, low profile, PCI-x, and directx compatible? Their website doesn't clearly state this.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Audball, actually there are quite a number of low profile PCI express cards out there that are low profile compatible with slight modification. Take for example on this page alone:
http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app...rcode=0&DEPA=1

The first 6 cards should be low profile compatible provided you out fit them with a low profile bracket. The low profile brackets can be found relatively easily if you search for them online.

This place actually sells some of the above video cards pre-bundled with low-profile brackets:
http://www.xpcgear.com/lowprofilevga.html

Granted, the AOpen you found maybe the quieter and faster than these cards :). Just want to point out that there are other options available.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually have the x300 low profile, but it didn't perform as great. Still saw tearing on HDTV movies or just had too much cpu utilization which caused my htpc to overheat. Crashed on any 3dMark test. This 6600 seems to have more horses and bandwidth for now. Also was interested in seeing what the hype was on Nvidia's Purevideo, which is only enabled with the geforce 6000 series and up. The geforce 6200 turbocache had bad reviews on tomshardware due to shared memory usage. We will see how it performs soon. Sorry, should have titled this thread "Finally, a stronger low profile card that can do Nvidia's Purevideo!!"

·
Registered
260 Posts
Audball...Keep us posted on how the new AOpen card works for you.

I'll do the same...

I just placed my order online for this card...I have been waiting for its release for about three months now!

As far as I could find, this AOpen card is the only 128MB, 128bit, PureVideo capable, Low Profile, SILENT PCI-express video card on the US market!

I'm hoping to see a serious improvement in my HDTV playback.

Nathan

·
Registered
354 Posts
I also purchased the card. I will be returning it though:

1. It didn't fit on my mATX board - the heatsink is too thick and hits the MB chipset heatsink.

2. I was able to remove part of the heatsink to make it fit (the heatsink has on outside part that you can unscrew). But the card became so hot I couldn't even touch it. I think the card would have become this hot even if I didn't remove part of the heatsink. This was at idle.

Just my two cents. Interested to hear what others think of it and if it fits your setup.

·
Registered
260 Posts
mrloopy,

That's good to know...Though I'm not happy to hear it. :) I've heard that the 6600 cards, even when actively cooled, are too hot...But what the heck, I'll give it a shot and risk it all for the team!

To assist others who might be reading this thread, what motherboard are you using? And are you using one of the CPU coolers that claims to assist with northbridge and vga cooling (i.e. Zalman 7000/7700)?

Thanks!

Nathan

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far my card fits perfectly. I have the ASUS A8NE-FM. This M-ATX mobo is not even on ASUS's website. But got it from UnitedMicro.com, check their site for the pics and specs if interested.. The heatsink/fan on the Nforce4 chipset is very low and out of the way of the 6600 card. Actually it's located below the PCI slots. But it's so low that my dvico HDTV card hovers perfectly above the heatsink/fan. The only issue is the fan is louder than my cpu cooler, but not too loud to be annoying. Any case, I haven't actually put the 6600 to the test yet. Everything installed as planned with no issues. Will run 3dmark and other test later today. Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well...If anyone is looking for a "perfect fit" low-profile solution, I can recommend the following:

MSI RS480M2-IL microATX motherboard (AMD 64 939)

Hauppauge MCE150PVR Analog TV Tuner (low-profile)

DVICO FusionHDTV5 Lite (low-profile)

AOpen PCX6600-DV128LP PCIe VGA (low-profile / passive...as discussed above)

The HUGE heatsink on the AOpen VGA card barely misses the RAM and rather large ATI integrated graphics heatsink (by, quite literally, a couple of millimeters)...But it fits! And, so far, the heat from this VGA card, which is quite warm, remains manageable. HDTV/SDTV performance is also solid.

The only problem I am having is periodic freezes and full blown crashes. I'm fairly convinced that it's a VGA driver issue. When I was using the onboard ATI graphics, I didn't have ANY crashing whatsoever (but HDTV playback was horrible). Adding the nVIDIA based AOpen improved HD playback dramatically but sparked random crashing. If I push stop on the remote when the picture is frozen, MCE will stop (after a 30 - 60 second delay) allowing me to minimize and then maximize the MCE2005 frontend. Often times that allows me to get things moving again...

Any thoughts on that issue?

Overall I am VERY pleased with this card...But I'm still tweaking drivers and such...

Nathan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nathan - Thanks for the parts suggestions, I've been searching for some time for a decent low-profile solution. I honestly don't think I could stick a huge box in my living room, I don't know how these other people do it. :)

Have you resolved your crashing issues yet?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Bomax182...

I never fixed the problems I was having...I do believe, however, that HEAT is the issue (rather than drivers as I mentioned previously). I couldn't get the card to stabalize whatsoever...So I'm swapping it for another (many people suggested that the heatsink may not be seated properly on the GPU).

Until I receive my AOpen replacement, I've turned to the Powercolor X700 low profile card...It is VERY loud, but it gets the job done without crashing. It is fast enough to handle HD but, again, noisy as a car on the street (so my wife says).

I'll keep you posted.

Nathan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I too figured heat was your problem. Its unfortunate that this seemingly perfect card is plauged by heat to the point of being unusable.

I am going to try one of the new Tforce boards when they hit market, with their integrated graphics. We shall see if they can handle HD. (I kinda doubt it...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.