AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Likely not for a while (although I would welcome time proving otherwise).

I'm aware of only one interface IC (ATI's RT550 Pro), and its likely inappropriate (via functionality and/or economics) for manufacturers to even employ it in such a role.

Haven't seen anything from conexant or philips or others.

·
Registered
859 Posts
So now that there are a few other IC candidates:

Micronas APB 7202A nGene

Conexant CX2388x (where x=5,6,7 or 8)

Philips SAA7162

Hopefully some products will show up sometime soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Terratec have released a PCI-E dual tuner DVB-T model Cinergy 2400DT. It appears to use the Micronas ngene chipset. I have recently ordered one after reading some good feedback from early users of this card :) .

·
Registered
796 Posts
As a DVB-T tuner, doesn't that effectively mean digital SD TV outside the US today? Are there even any DVB-T broadcasts in HD today?

[edit] I got curious and checked. It looks like Aussies have HD DVB-T broadcasts but Europeans are out of luck. Never having been to Australia or Europe, feel free to correct me if I got things wrong. [/edit]

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daza_67
Terratec have released a PCI-E dual tuner DVB-T model Cinergy 2400DT. It appears to use the Micronas ngene chipset.
Yep, already know about that ;) A list of ICs on the card is given here ... read the thread through and it will disclose why I'm not too thrilled by it. For those interested, there was recently also a thread about a Micronas reference design that makes use of the nGene IC.

A quick googling unviels that the Philips chip is already being used in an interesting Kworld DVB card.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2C
As a DVB-T tuner, doesn't that effectively mean digital SD TV outside the US today? Are there even any DVB-T broadcasts in HD today?

[edit] I got curious and checked. It looks like Aussies have HD DVB-T broadcasts but Europeans are out of luck. Never having been to Australia or Europe, feel free to correct me if I got things wrong. [/edit]
I believe the Aussies have had OTA HD available in some spots for several years now. I think there might be some German broadcasters providing HD now too (as of just recently) but I could be wrong -- don't much pay too much attention to what I can't tune :) Irregardless, all the DVB-T cards can receive HD

·
Registered
3 Posts
actually pci-express is useless simply because you require 19.8 MB/s to watch 1080i HDTV and USB 2.0 / PCI is more than adequate for this. In fact ATI's OCUR Cablecard tuner laso uses USB 2.0 for both internal and external versions of the card. Since everyone has USB 2.0 more people will be able to use the card which makes it economically better. See anandtech's first looks of the new ATI OCUR for Vista for more info.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityK
Irregardless, all the DVB-T cards can receive HD
Though it's somewhat obvious, it should be said that all the DVB-T cards can receive HD when it's broadcast via DVB-T. A DVB-T card will be pretty useless in countries using ATSC like the US.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmit007
actually pci-express is useless simply because you require 19.8 MB/s to watch 1080i HDTV and USB 2.0 / PCI is more than adequate for this.
- While USB solutions are very effective and convenient, I'm sure there are many who do not desire an external solution or running more cables (whether it be for an external or internal solution)

- its ~19.34 Mbps

- PCIe is ideal for a dual, tri, quad or whatever tuner solution

Quote:
In fact ATI's OCUR Cablecard tuner laso uses USB 2.0 for both internal
Its been done. See how Dvico implements their DVB-T dual tuner solution .

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2C
Though it's somewhat obvious, it should be said that all the DVB-T cards can receive HD when it's broadcast via DVB-T. A DVB-T card will be pretty useless in countries using ATSC like the US.
Sadly, the requirement of that qualifier probably is necessaary. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.