AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to pull the trigger on a MyHD last night, but noticed that there was a new demo version of the Fusion software out. I'd tried the previous version, and DxVA didn't work with my video card(well not with later driver versions, anyway; Radeon 8500), so I was stuck with software decoding.

Anyway, I tried it again. In DxVA mode, the picture quality isn't all that great. Specifically, the BOB deinterlacer bobs. Way too annoying to watch. In software mode, this version gives a 1080i quality option. In standard quality, things look OK, but detail seems to "shimmer" a little(that is, it isn't there all the time, pops in and out), and everything looks overly sharp. High looks better, but still has most of the problems. Highest looks great: the picture is much softer as I've come to expect from HD, but the detail is still there without shimmering. MPEG blocks aren't as noticeable/annoying anymore. My machine can't sustain it though, and drops to 15-20fps and audio runs out of sync. I'm on an Athlon XP 1800/Radeon 8500.

I was under the impression that the hardware decoder in the MyHD would be my best bet. I've had enough trouble with audio sync, video locked to audio instead of vertical retrace, etc over the years with Windows video software. But how does the MyHD stack up in picture/deinterlacer quality? I'd be viewing on a computer monitor(LCD, 1280x1024 or 1600x1200) and may be upgrading to a CRT projector in the future. If the Fusion deinterlacer gives better results, upgrading the PC wouldn't be a problem(been needing another machine anyway). But, all other things equal, I'd rather have a hardware decoder.

Another question: What about monitor calibrators(ex: Eye-One Display )? Everyone keeps making a big deal about having spot on grayscale tracking in the display forums, so maybe this would be a good investment for watching HD on a computer monitor, too?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The component output of the MyHD card looks nearly identical to my Samsung DirecTV HD STB. The only difference? Picture position....the MyHD output is shifted slightly higher than the Samsung.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does it look with 1080i deinterlaced and scaled to 720P? Or say, viewed in a window at 900P(for a 1600x1200P monitor)?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Can't help you there, my display is a 1080i HDTV so I do the opposite, scale 720p to 1080i....which looks great.

You can't beat the MyHD card!

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
The component output of the MyHD card looks nearly identical to my Samsung DirecTV HD STB. The only difference? Picture position....the MyHD output is shifted slightly higher than the Samsung.
Wayne,

Did you try the ScanSetup utility to shift the image down?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I tried the scan setup to shrink some of the overscan, but by the time I got it shrunk down enough to my tates, it introduced some strange red artifacts to the image, so I gave up on it...I was probably pushing it too hard. Not that big a deal, I find the overscan to be the exact same as my STB, and its only shifted a couple of scan lines anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.