AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any performance reason to choose a PCIe TV Tuner card over a PCI TV Tuner card?

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
624 Posts
Think its because some PCIe cards have dual ATSC tunners, but PCI cards dont.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Technically, I don't know how different the performance would be between the two. But I do know that PCIe 2.0 is the latest and greatest and has the ability to carry a lot more data than the old PCI standard. My choice would be to buy a PCIe card, simply because it will be supported by future motherboards, whereas PCI slots are the past.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKaustin /forum/post/14262552

Technically, I don't know how different the performance would be between the two. But I do know that PCIe 2.0 is the latest and greatest and has the ability to carry a lot more data than the old PCI standard. My choice would be to buy a PCIe card, simply because it will be supported by future motherboards, whereas PCI slots are the past.

PCI-E cards (i.e. other than video cards) have been around for several years but nonetheless remain relative rarities. The substantial majority of cards that are sold today are still PCI cards. Maybe the PCI-E would be a slightly better choice because of its greater data capacity, but PCI cards are hardly dead technology.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousygolfer /forum/post/14265818

Maybe the PCI-E would be a slightly better choice because of its greater data capacity, but PCI cards are hardly dead technology.

True, but PCI slots have become less abundant than before. Meh, I buy for whichever slot's available on the motherboard. In my experience, it's usually the PCI-E one as the PCI slots are already occupied by adapters and other peripherals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts