AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run an outstanding soundcard (HT Omega Claro Plus+) from my HTPC to my AVR. However, the only available PCM passthrough with this sound card is via the PCM 2.0 TosLink (I will not use analog 5.1). Don't get me wrong, this soundcard does a great job of sending a DTS/PCM 2.0 signal to my AVR and sounds phenomenal. Though, I am looking to advance my HTPC audio with HDMI PCM 5.1 Audio Passthrough via my ATI Sapphire 5870 Eyefinity Edition video card...

My only question is if I am required to (or limited to):
  • Output two separate connections from the video card (1 audio [HDMI] output to AVR & 1 video [DVI] output to LCD).

or
  • One [HDMI] output from the video card to the AVR for both audio & video and then output the video from the AVR to the LCD [via HDMI].

My guess is that it would have to be the second option. That being said, my next question would be if I would be effecting my video quality in any way by routing it through my AVR (Yamaha RX-V663 HDMI v1.3) to my LCD.

Thanks in advance,

electrickrypt

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
It does not need to be the second option, but I recommend the second one (simpler and less troublesome). Video quality won't degrade.

Send LPCM 5.1/7.1 in the WASAPI exclusive mode and bitstream all the BD/DVD compressed audio formats (DD/TrueHD/DTS/DTS-HD) to AVR.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20812004

It does not need to be the second option, but I recommend the second one (simpler and less troublesome). Video quality won't degrade.

Send LPCM 5.1/7.1 in the WASAPI exclusive mode and bitstream all the BD/DVD compressed audio formats (DD/TrueHD/DTS/DTS-HD) to AVR.

Thanks for the response and confirming that both methods should work. I look forward to the adventure of getting this setup properly.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

Quote:

+1. This is what I did to eliminate the loss of audio playback from my audio files when I turned off my hdtv.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:

If you play PC games on your HTPC will the HDMI send 2 channel or 5.1/7.1 to the AVR?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge /forum/post/21063342

If you play PC games on your HTPC will the HDMI send 2 channel or 5.1/7.1 to the AVR?

Multichannel LPCM.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:

Forgive me for being somewhat of a noobie here, but how do you do this? The only place I have found on my computer to tweak the audio output signals going to my AVR via HDMI is the Windows Sound Mixer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.