AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot of threads here but I am still confused! I have a PC with a nvidia GTX 480 outputting over HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A700 reciever.

So PCM is the audio being decoded already by my PC and the raw sound signal (PCM?) is then being sent channel by channel to the reciever who then does no work other than passing the signal along to the speakers?

Is that ideal?

I noticed when I play an AVI file the receiver shows the dolby digital icon, ( i think this is because ffdshow is not active in .avi files) but when I play a .mkv file ffdshow icon pops up and its decoding the audio, so then it passes the sound over to the receiver as PCM.

What do I want to be doing to get the "best" sound? And out of curiosity how do you set FFDshow to just pass the raw signal over to the receiver to decode?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The 470 and 480, being the earlier releases, do not bitstream audio as does the 430-460.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vullcan /forum/post/19601095

Is that ideal?

What do I want to be doing to get the "best" sound? And out of curiosity how do you set FFDshow to just pass the raw signal over to the receiver to decode?

Thanks

+1....to what Jim said.

The GTX480 is (obviously) a gaming card and Nvidia didn't have the PAP technology when they released it (or they didn't want to put it in there).

They have been playing catch-up to ATI when it comes to onboard audio; about four generations behind.
Check this chart for reference.

In any case, PCM is the original uncompressed audio signal, the Dolby and DTS codecs are simply containers that contain the signal, akin to a 'zipped' file.

Most people can't differentiate between the PCM signal and the signal decoded by an AVR. And sound quality is highly subjective. If it sounds good to your ears then leave it be.

Or if you don't game much then consider changing your card.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts