AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain or direct me to somewhere that could explain the difference. Is one better than the other.

I bought a new receiver (Pioneer 811s.)

From my DVD player it appears that I need to set it to bitstream for the decoding information to work properly on the receiver. When the DVD was set to PCM i got sound but the dolby digital did not light up on the receiver.

Also my STB is a Samsung 151. The choices on it are Dolby and pcm. Is Dolby the same as bitstream? It seems to work with both but neither is registering 5.1 on the receiver.

I'm not sure if the STB will support 5.1 or if any OTA stations are using 5.1 to broadcast?

Any comments suggestions welcome. I’m just starting out in the 5.1 world I have been stuck in Pro-Logic for too long.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Dolby Digital and DTS use bitstream in the digital domain.

As for DD not lighting up, it really depends on the station. For example, DirecTV has only a few stations that use DD - mostly PPV in letterbox and some premium stations like HBO. Keep in mind though that the beginning of the movie and/or some ads could be in stereo.

Another thing, DD does not really have to be 5.1. It could as well be DD 2.0 :)

I hope I didn't confuse you even more :D

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Cajun,

Channel 8 is the only ota station that sends out a 5.1 signal. That's only when they have a HD show, such as movies. You wait until you hear it!

Hugh

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool I'll have to check out channel 8.

I guess my only question is if DTS and DD use bitstream when what is PCM even for and why would someone use it? is it just r/l audio but in a digital format?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
" what is PCM even for and why would someone use it? is it just r/l audio but in a digital format?"

Yes, PCM is uncompressed digital audio like what is on a CD player. When you set the output to PCM the player decoded the DD stream into a PCM format. You would use it if you receiver didn't support DD decoding.

Shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.