AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an answer to a question that is probably something I should know, but non the less, one I don't know the answer to. Which is better to use on a DVD player, Bitstream or PCM? From what I understand from my research, PCM is a format that has more capabilities as far as the maximum bandwidth of sound that can be output, but isn't compatible with everything. I have a reciever that can decode the 96k signals and has both Coax and optical inputs, and I just bought the new Samsung HD931 dvd player, which I must say, has a noticable sound improvement over my old Panasonic RP56, but I have read that you should use Bitstream because if you set it to PCM, you can't output the standard DD5.1 singal through it properly, only DTS. Can somebody please shed some light on this for me and explain exactly what the difference is, and what I should be using? I have the Pioneer VSX-D810S which does the 96kHz/24-Bit Digital to Analog Conversion. Any information would be greatly appreciated (and sorry for making this question so long). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Actually,the ans. is simple. If you want your movies in 5.1--use bitstream. If you are going to a 2 ch. dac or an older prologic processor;use pcm.

I haven't tried it in ages but a lazer disc in 2ch sounds 10x's better going thru a quality 2ch dac / than a movie processor. Geo.

Geo

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
PCM is 2 channel (stereo) only. A Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream allows for 6 channels (5.1) if your receiver handles the bistream format you want to play - by all means use it. Use PCM only if your receiver doesn't support it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.