AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Tried to google this but not getting specific info.

My issue is my AVR connected via ARC is able to play DD and DTS signals but nothing in PCM.

So if a tv show is in DD 5.1 or DD 2.0 then the AVR plays it but if in any PCM format then its just silence.

The AVR shows PCM on the AVR display as being the input signal but I just get silence.

I know AVR does play PCM content when plugged into a direct HDMI input (eg: like ATV plugged into AVR)

Native TV apps like PRIME outputs DD 5.1 so that works. Plus Plex tv app works but only for DD and DTS content not PCM.

Netflix does not work, although I thought Netflix output DD not PCM?

Youtube TV app does not work as its sending PCM from tv to AVR over ARC.

Also ATV does not work as also sending PCM to AVR over ARC

So how do I get AVR to play PCM over ARC?

AVR = Onkyo sr608 (a 2010 product)
Tv = Sony A8f

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
Sounds like ARC with TV or AVR is not working properly. Please note that ARC only carries the same limited audio formats like optical does. That means it can only support PCM 2.0, not PCM 5.1. So, may be you should try the optical audio from TV to the AVR which usually is less problematic.

Streaming services are almost always DD+ for 5.1 or PCM 2.0 for those that doesn't support DD+. YouTube currently is PCM 2.0. ATV mostly send PCM as well but can reencode into DD 5.1 in configuration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply,

I guess I can understand not playing PCM 5.1 but PCM 2.0 you would think be fine?

I assume if I try the optical option then I cant use ARC at same time.

Is the auido formats over ARC the same as Optical, or does ARC do better DD and DTS, noting my AVR does not do ATMOS.

·
Premium Member
88,009 Posts
thanks for reply,

I guess I can understand not playing PCM 5.1 but PCM 2.0 you would think be fine?

I assume if I try the optical option then I cant use ARC at same time.

Is the auido formats over ARC the same as Optical, or does ARC do better DD and DTS, noting my AVR does not do ATMOS.
The audio quality would be the same either way except DD+ which can only pass over HDMI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I tried to go via optical and to my surprise SAME problem!

The TV is sending PCM via optical and still the AVR cant decode it, I am still getting silence???

For some reason the AVR just cant play the Sony's PCM and I dont know why?

The good news is Netflix tv app for whatever reason has figured out to change output sound to DD 5.1 so thats working.

But I need to figure out why the PCM is not working?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know how to get my Onkyo to decode Sony TV pcm feed?

I know onkyo can do pcm as I just watched a bluray plugged direct into onkyo via hdmi that was both 2.0 and 5.1 pcm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is just a guess here, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

PCM directly via HDMI (not over ARC) is 99% of the time actually "linear pcm" which is lossless audio (think DTS HD-MA/Dolby TrueHD), so that working doesn't really tell us anything about PCM from the TV.

I would guess, for whatever reason, the 2.0 PCM output from the TV is just in a format that the AVR isn't expecting. It is most likely something you need to fix in the settings of the TV alone.

I know for my LG at least, you can choose between DD or PCM. Well, in reality it's worded as either Auto or PCM, but Auto really is DD/DD+.

So you should be able to find somewhere in the sound settings for the TV where you can dictate the output format to send out over ARC.

That said, is it possible you have the AVR set up such that when it receives a stereo input it tries to upmix to 5.1? Not that this would normally be an issue, but perhaps the AVR just isn't playing well with this particular signal. So it may be worth a shot to try again and make sure you're on whatever Onkyo's "auto surround" / "direct" mode is.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
PCM is the most basic form of digital audio. Everything else gets decoded into PCM first to on your AVR. So, there is nothing to 'decode' PCM signal. It is probably something wrong with your TV or TV settings. The only thing related to PCM in source device is just PCM frequency support, 48Khz, 96KHz or 192KHz. But typically video signal will mostly use 48KHz which should work with any AVR.

So, it looks most likely your TV is broken somehow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts