AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about this?? I just saw the site, and I am wondering if anyone has seen this in action??

does it do what it claims??

http://www.psivideo.com/navdvd.htm

PD-1000 Reference PROGRESSIVE DVD Player

--pasted from site--

Output resolutions options of 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1024 x 1024, 1280 x 1024, 1600 x 1280 all progressive.

All resolutions can be modified by the end user.

Since the PD-1000 reads a DVD digitally and never encodes the video, the scaling begins immediately from the MPEG bitstream. This signal is feed directly into the processing circuitry and carried via the highest quality heavily shielded, precision video cable to true 75 Ohm, shielded, recessed, gold plated, professional BNC connectors. This form of output connection allows for the use of very high quality innerconnects which is critical at these frequencies. Even 7" CRT projectors like the Sony -VPH1272 can now scan clearly at 1024 x 768.

Video Output:

5 hi-quality, broadcast grade, true 75 Ohm, gold plated, dual shielded, recessed separate RGBHV connectors.

Front loading DVD drive

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just returned from visit to projection systems to purchase a PD-1000, and yes, Eric does answer the phone over there just be persistent as his commitment to answering all his customers questions sometimes runs long. They just started shipping last week, I saw one on the bench being assembled and all the components were of very high quality and with each one being assembled and calibrated in house the workmanship was excellent. I Demoed the unit on a g70 against DVD/Progressive through LD100, results were impressive. Hope to post a more detailed evaluation in the near future with an XG135LC. (8" CRT)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, I look forward to hearing the reviews..

one question, can you set the resolution as you need

like 1280x720 or 1366x768 out??

I ask because of the sentence

"All resolutions can be modified by the end user"

or is it just the listed resolutions....

800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1024 x 1024, 1280 x 1024, 1600 x 1280

??

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have one of these in my basement and it rocks!

I have a Sony G70 and an I-Scan Pro DVDO. The difference of the PD1000 and the DVDO is night and day. The presence of lines almost completely disappears. ( You have to get real close on a 10 foot screen to see them.) I have not seen a stairstep pattern yet, except for some of the crappy quality previews on some DVDs. On really high quality DVDs, like the Superbit ones, things look real! I find myself getting really immersed in movies.

I was at Cedia in September and the only thing I saw that was better than the awesome picture I have now in my basement was a $25,000 Faroudja connected to a $36,000 G90!

It is only a DVD player and not a general purpose scaler, (but I hear there may be an upgrade in the works.) It is real simple and classy looking. It reminds me of a real high end tube type mono amp. It is quiet and unassuming. The included remote is OK. I just programmed it into my Pronto.

Eric Lang is the guy who sells them and is a real nice guy. I bought my projector, screen and mount from him. He is very knowledgable and very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just saw this on their new site...

"Current US Distribution MSRP is $2995."

"As an introductory promotion we are offering them factory direct for a limited time for $1999. Units are now in stock at most dealers and at the factory. "

sounds pretty cool..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cclear,

The way that you change resolutions on this box is to put in a CD in the drive, and you reboot it. Each CD is setup for different resolutions that are supported as stated in the specs. If you want other resoulutions, I'm sure that they could build a CD that would setup the resoution and timing that you are interested in. You may have some limitations on the particular settings from a hardware and driver point of view.

They can test for you and make sure that the setup you are looking for is one that will work, etc.

I have seen this product work, and it is impressive. This is the best alternative in my opinion, to a progressive scan DVD player that I have seen. This is a great deal for people that want to have the HTPC quality and flexibility, but not have all of the tweaking, and integration issues. If this box doesn't work, you can just put in the CD, reboot it, wait a few minutes, and it will be completely rebuilt, etc.

I bought a Sony G70 projector, screen, and other components from Eric. He is a very good person to deal with, and has a great amount of equipment to test and evaluate if you live in the area like I do.

I am an HTPC geek, and like to tweak with the best, but this is a pretty appealing product. Just plug it in, and it works. No computer geek needed to enjoy it.

I think if you look at the components that are in this product, and are an HTPC geek, you will be impressed. You don't need to be an HTPC geek to understand it or make it work....

Test123

·
Registered
277 Posts
Does this unit play CDs too, or is it strictly for DVDs? Also, does it have a remote that can be "gobbled up" by a Pronto? Finally, has anyone done side-by-side comparisons with this vs other high level players like Camelot, EAD, etc. Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi all- I finally received my PD-1000 and will try to post a thorough review as soon as possible. There are a lot of small threads about the PD-1000 in several forums, I'll just start a new thread with my review and put a link to it in all the smaller threads.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi ScottH1 and meichacker,

There's currently quite a bit of interest in this player on the forum at the moment.

As you've had yours for a month or so now would it be possible to give us another update on your impressions.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi. I am actually one of the developers of the PD-1000. Obviously I really like it. I watch several movies a week on it. Just as an FYI, it was developed with a Sony G70 as the display with a DaLite 10' 4:3 screen. I have personally never run it on anything else. Eric has run it on several other model projectors.

I will tell you that the only picture that I have seen that surpasses the image quality was from a very expensive ($20k+) Faroudja Scaler and a ($30k+) Sony G90 at the Cedia show in Indianapolis last year.

This might help everyone understand why people are having issues with it on other setups. Eric is working on getting me some of these alternate display setups so I can tweak for these. We are committed to make this work for anyone we can. Any custom resolutions can be applied by the end user with a cd-rom.

The shimmering that has been noticed on Gladiator and other DVD's to a lessor degree has been brought to my attention and a fix is in the works. All software upgrades of this type will be free to end users of the product.

Also, I am working on a built-in scaler for other video sources. The prototype looks great!

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Mike

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
meichacker,

I have some basic questions on the PD-1000 that I'm hoping you can answer:

1) My impression is the this is an "HTPC type" unit (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) If this is the case, then how easy is it to use for family members? For example, just slip in a DVD, point the remote and go?

2) Does it have Component and S-Video outputs?

3) Can you switch from interlaced to progressive quickly via the remote?

4) What is the design of it's analog video channel(s)? For example are deep video DAC's used (12bit or 14bit)? Flat bandwidth to 6.5MHz? Anti-Aliasing filters to control DAC noise? Etc.? What degree of interlaced and progressive over-sampling is used?

5) What control do you have over video parameters? For example contrast, hue, sharpness, gamma, black level, mid-band sharpness, high-band sharpness, Y/C delay, hor/vert filtering, etc.?

6) Does it pass below black in both interlaced and progressive mode?

7) What does it offer to CRT (both FP and RP) display owners relative to: A) Shaping of non-anamorphic images to their equivalent anamorphic size, B) spreading 4X3 images out to the edges of 16X9 screens using exponential side-stretching, and C) side-cropping of 2.35:1 and larger anamorphics to increase height and thus eliminate upper/lower black bars. A) is dealt with well in the Pany RP91, B) is dealt with well in Pioneer RPTV's, and C) is dealt with well in the Malata DVD player - so A), B), and C) should not be difficult to achieve through software in an HTPC type player.

8) For CRT RPTV 1080i HD display owners, can the PD-1000 do output upconversion to 540p for VCR 480i, LD 480i, SDTV 480i, and DVD 480p?

9) What deinterlacing algorithyms will be available? For example - algorithyms "as least as good as" what Pioneer uses in their RPTV's and as good as those used in the Sage/Faroudja and Silicon Image deinterlacing chips?

Please fill me in on how well the PD-1000 addresses the above features and performance .......... thanks a lot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
pnichols,

1) Yes it is based on PC hardware. All "PC" elements have been removed. Turn it on, put in a DVD and push play. It has only a remote control and a power switch and a DVD slot. Simplicity was a major design objective.

2) No. This is strictly for driving HDTV type displays. It has 5 True 75 Ohm BNC outputs for driving a Hi-Res display. A DVI output is planned for the future.

3) No, it is strictly a progressive output device.

4) That information has not been released. It looks great! You have to see it to appreciate it.

5) None. It has a RGB output. It has been calibrated to have optimal settings on all of these parameters. If you need to adjust, just use your display's settings.

6) I'm not sure I understand that question.

7) Currently it is optimized for 4:3 screens. Auto aspect ratio settings are planned for future releases to better accommodate 16:9 screens.

8) Currently it will not work with interlaced displays.

9) That is a matter of judgment. Again, I encourage you to see one for yourself.

I hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I may add a few points....

The on board video DAC is 12 bit and we have done some work with adding filters to compensate for aliasing and additional noise introduced by some material. The digital video path is so clean however that were able to achieve an extremely clean image with little "extra" hardware or software.

The below black levels we've experienced are truly amazing. At times in dark, wet scenes the shadows of wet raincoats in U571 were 3 dimensional and literally made the water appear wetter than usual.

The deinterlacing algorithyms we are using in prototype machines are producing images that look much smoother and handle motion artifacts faster then those used by Silicon Images and the new Omega One (which uses the Sage chipset).

As most aspect ratio control is handled my internal memories in CRT projectors, we had not incorporated this feature in the PD-1000. We are looking to and experiementing with such control at this time.

We are looking forward to offering these on upgrades in the near future.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.