AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a pda or palm pilot as a remote to control all of their stuff, and will they work through walls with a extender or something, my equipment is all behind a wall, behind my rptv that is built in the wall. Please any suggestions is grateful.

·
Premium Member
4,182 Posts
Hi,

Many people in the Home Theater Computers forum use a PocketPC like a Pronto. One of the favourites tend to be the iPaq 2215 because of its stronger-than-average infrared, and its built-in "Nevo Remote" universal remote software. (The iPaq PocketPC model 2215 doubles as a universal remote).

It was neat being in a restaurant, I programmed the restaurant's TV (from the database installed on my iPaq) and sneakily changed the channel. Of course, I changed it back before anybody noticed. :) But I don't use it in my home theater, though there are several choices of universal remote software (including software that can use Pronto .ccf files on PocketPC's)

Right now, I like the Harmony SST-659 remote.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can get an emulation program at

http://www.pdawin.com

You create your CCF (this is a Pronto file) in ProntoEdit, then upload it to your pda like any other file.

You can get an IF Extender that will fit in your card slot.

PM if you have any other questions.

Steve

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I tried it with a Dell Axim X5 and PDAwin's software. It didn't work for me. I tried 2 different brands of IR extender cards (electric dog and ultramote), and neither seemed to give me the range that I needed (which is only about 20' or so...) and they were too directional for me to use successfully. In addition to that, I found the page changed in the ccf file to be slow using the emulation software, and there is another problem. The PDAwin software is designed to transmit an IR signal upon the RELEASE of a button - not the PUSH... so that means things like turning up or down the volume or surfing a channel guide can be a pain.

Some people have had good luck with it, and I'm sure that my experience is not shared by everyone.

However, by the time you spend 200 (at least) on the PDA, 15 on the software, 25 on the IR extender, and factor in the PITA factor for the repeated button problem...it was too much for me, considering that one can purchase a TSU-3000 for just a trifle more. It's not a color model, but hey... it's designed to be a remote - PDA really aren't.

YMMV

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Many people use PDA's and some of the more usefull programs have been mentioned.

But I agree with the rest in this thread, PDAs make great PDAs and remotes make great remotes.

Also I don't know of any RF based PDA remote, so I would definetly recommend a remote built for that (for the Pronto TSU-3000 you can buy an RF base and put it in the closet with the equipment , the MX-600, MX-800 come with an RF base, harmony should be comming out soon with the 768RF).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.