AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a PDP-4340HD from a local installer/dealer. I was researching the PDP-4340HD online and noticed that it had two HDMI connections. My dealer told me that the PDP-4340HD that he is giving me does not have any HDMI connections because Pioneer recalled the units and will not offer a HDMI PDP-4340HD until next year.

Is he full of it? Is he selling me an older version PDP-4340HD and trying to pass it off as a current year model?

Should I be worried/concerned about not having HDMI? He told me that once Pioneer releases the media receiver that has HDMI he will swap it out with another unit. My question is - am I getting an older Plasma and trying to connect a newer media receiver? Are all PDP-4340HD the same? Did they change?

· Registered
904 Posts
Pioneer's web site claims it comes with HDMI. No indication of a recall...

· Registered
582 Posts
I recall that my PDP4340HD at home (purchased in July/August) has HDMI. FWI(not)W, I also recall that I have yet to get HDMI to work with my DCT5100 STB.

· Registered
151 Posts
I got my 4340 in early March and the HDMI inputs work fine with my Motorola 6200 cable box. Ask your dealer for some evidence to back up his claim as there has not been any such info on a HDMI "recall" from Pioneer.

· Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drober02
I guess the biggest question is - are there multiple versions of the same model 4340? If it says it is a 4340, are all 4340's the same?

Check out the back of my receiver on the pdp-4330. I have no HDMI input on the receiver.

Kurt.

· Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikkel
kcaudle,

The 43
30 has no HDMI. The 4340 (or 910) does have HDMI. My 910 was made back in 09/03 and has HDMI.

Mike
Sorry, that 4330 was a typo (didn't know there was such a model), I have the pdp-4340 ...... no HDMI INPUT on mine. Is the JPG in my previous post clear enough for you to see ?

Kurt.

· Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Maximus
I got my 4340 in early March and the HDMI inputs work fine with my Motorola 6200 cable box. Ask your dealer for some evidence to back up his claim as there has not been any such info on a HDMI "recall" from Pioneer.
What's the secret? I have a 4340 and a DCT5100 (v7.15 FW) but I can't get DVI -> HDMI to work. Depending on turn-on sequence, I see snowy picture or a message to use component inputs instead (HDCP?).

FWIW, I have this cable: http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...Name=HDMIDVI-1

· Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSkeptiks
That's funny. The 2 HDMI inputs ARE in his picture on his media box.

Do you see them now?????

hahaha
Yes I see them, but those are outputs ..... both run directly to the screen. What I was looking for was if anyone had an input. I am feeding the receiver with an HD signal from an Explorer 3250HD using a component video cable (it has a DVI out which I would like to use).

The top, right, white plug is an HDMI out. Pioneer calls it a "system cable". I suppose I could take the explorer DVI out, bypass the receiver, and plug directly into the screen, but is that wise? I imagine the screen settings are delivered from the receiver along this cable.

The other plug looks like it might be power ... its not a HDMI.

I have attached a scan of the back of the pioneer receiver unit but reducing it to the 640x640 format of this form really cuts down on the clarity of the scan.

Kurt

· Registered
45 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bart745
What's the secret? I have a 4340 and a DCT5100 (v7.15 FW) but I can't get DVI -> HDMI to work. Depending on turn-on sequence, I see snowy picture or a message to use component inputs instead (HDCP?).
The Motorola boxes have their own DVI bugs, these are not specific to Pioneer plasmas.

See:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...74#post4252374
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51#post4270351
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...09#post4206209

I've got the same type of DVI-HDMI cable. In order to avoid the "split-screen" problem with the Motorola, the tv has to turned on first, then the cable box. That's the major annoyance of using DVI-HDMI. A minor issue is the 3 second delay when changing between SD and HD channels.

You should read the threads on the 6208, your problem is likely with the firmware and setup from your cable provider, older firmwares did not propely support DVI. Call your cable co and see if they can help.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Kurt,

I have the Pio 1110HD, which has virtually the same media receiver.

A few points.

First, the user manual that comes with the panel doesn't show the HDMI inputs on the back of the media receiver. They were added after the user manuals were finished. I received a one-page addendum in my media receiver box that shows the HDMI inputs.

Second, you are correct; they are inputs (assigned to Input 1 and Input 3), not outputs. I have speculated that the HDMI format could support daisy-chaining similar to iLink (i.e., all ports are both inputs and outputs), but I haven't seen anything official on this issue.

Third, the white system cable is a DVD-D (dual) format cable in shape, but it is strongly suspected it is not a DVI-D compliant output. It is most certainly NOT an HDMI output. Instead, it carries a proprietary Pioneer format that is solely used for connecting the media receiver to the panel. There have been other threads speculating on the format, since the DVI spec permits 8 bit colour, but the latest Pio's have 10 bit colour. The other end of the white system cable is also a DVI-D format input, but I doubt you can stick, say, an STB DVI output straight into the panel bypassing the media receiver (nor would I recommend it). The black system cable appears to be a sort of parallel communication interface (it looks like a small-form centronics cable). I suspect audio information is sent to the panel through the white DVI-D cable, but it could also be sent through the black cable. I don't use my 1110HD for audio (monitor only), so its a moot issue to me. Bottom line is both system connections are only for connecting the media receiver to the panel.

Fourth, there was a recall in early 2004 on Pioneer displays in Japan only. The issue was related to solder strength in the circuit boards, not the HDMI format (see http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release131.html ).

Fifth, the current Pio displays use first generation HDMI. I understand there is a second generation out now, but an increment in the generation of HDMI would not lead to a recall (wouldn't that be nice!). Perhaps this is what the sales guy had heard.

Sixth, I looked at the picture of your media receiver. Although it is difficult to make out, it appears that you have the input coax cable going into Antenna B input and the small gray coax shunt connected to the output of Antenna A is connected to ???. Depending on what you're trying to do, the recommended set-up is to put the coax input into Antenna A input, then hook up the small coax shunt between the output of A and the input of B. The output of B remains unconnected (as shown in your picture).

I hope this helps!

· Registered
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kcaudle
I have attached a scan of the back of the pioneer receiver unit but reducing it to the 640x640 format of this form really cuts down on the clarity of the scan.

Go here for a better JPG:
http://members.rogers.com/kjcaudle/p...me1Source1.htm

Kurt.
There was a small additional instruction booklet which covers the HDMI inputs.

Look at mikkel's attachment... see the small inputs he circled, between the large fan exhaust and the component inputs.. those are your HDMI ports. Heck, it even says "INPUT 3 HDMI" below the ports.

We're NOT talking about the the 2 large SYSTEM CABLE ports below the AC jack that go out to the display.

Another simple way to check:

Bring up the Pioneer's MAIN MENU->OPTION->HDMI INPUT->SETTING

Compare this scan of the HDMI manual with your photo

· Registered
46 Posts
I have a PDP-5040HD, which has the same media receiver. It does have 2 HDMI inputs, but I just discovered that by using the HDMI input, Pioneer disables or disallows optical output passthrough! Pioneer should recall the Media Receiver box for this and another annoying issue: the fan noise is quite loud...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.