AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, 1st post. Typically an audio nerd over at gearslutz but needed a TV so...

I'm hoping I made the right decision.

Thanks for any opinions.

I just bought a used Pioneer PDP 5020 (from best buy even)

Bad part 1st...

It has a scratch on the screen + it's been on for 10 hours a day for the last 16 months there.

What happened was, For the last week been poking around here, decided to go for a 50' plasma.

We will be watching from 8 feet and considered the Panasonic TCP S2 series but then thought maybe best to not go below the G20/25 series considering burn in potential and general investment.

Walked into BB and they had the 5020 hanging there, scratches on the framing were evident but damn, what a nice picture.

Tag said retailed for 3500.00 (sounds unrealistic) and they were selling it for 1699.00.

Long story short, when it was turned off for a minute I saw a nice scratch "on the screen". However, I was not able to see the scratch from a few feet back.

Here's the deal I was able to talk them down to...

4 years extended coverage + calibration (I'm assured the 1 guy out of their 3 techs is very good / we shall see) + tax = $1300.00.

We have 30 days to return it so we shall see if it bugs me/us in that time period.

I just thought hell the 50' G20 would be $300.00 more than that with all the coverage, tax and calibration!

And this thing is clearly quality. I realize it's a crap shoot though re; hours already logged on it.

Bottom line seems to be, It's seen significant on time and has a scratch on the screen "but" maybe it's good for another 4-5 years or more? and w/ the 4 year coverage (that can be extended in the 4th year even) maybe I just got lucky???

Have to make sure the scratch does not distract in the next few weeks or maybe it will go back and I'll have to pay more for the G20.

Again, Thanks for any insights and sorry to be long winded.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d
Hello, 1st post. Typically an audio nerd over at gearslutz but needed a TV so...

I'm hoping I made the right decision.

Thanks for any opinions.

I just bought a used Pioneer PDP 5020 (from best buy even)

Bad part 1st...

It has a scratch on the screen + it's been on for 10 hours a day for the last 16 months there.

What happened was, For the last week been poking around here, decided to go for a 50' plasma.

We will be watching from 8 feet and considered the Panasonic TCP S2 series but then thought maybe best to not go below the G20/25 series considering burn in potential and general investment.

Walked into BB and they had the 5020 hanging there, scratches on the framing were evident but damn, what a nice picture.

Tag said retailed for 3700.00 (sounds unrealistic) and they were selling it for 1699.00.

Long story short, when it was turned off for a minute I saw a nice scratch "on the screen". However, I was not able to see it when on though from a few feet back.

Here's the deal I was able to talk them down to...

4 years extended coverage + calibration (I'm assured the 1 guy out of their 3 techs is very good / we shall see) + tax = $1300.00.

We have 30 days to return it so we shall see if it bugs me/us in that time period.

I just thought hell the 50' G20 would be $300.00 more than that with all the coverage, tax and calibration!

And this thing is clearly quality. I realize a crap shoot though re; hours already logged on it.

Bottom line seems to be, It's seen significant on time and has a scratch on the screen "but" maybe it's good for another 4-5 years or more? and w/ the 4 year coverage (that can be extended in the 4th year even) maybe I just got lucky???

Have to make sure the scratch does not distract in the next few weeks or maybe it will go back and I'll have to pay more for the G20.

Again, Thanks for any insights and sorry to be long winded.
So you got a 5020 for 1300 bucks? Sounds like a superb deal to me....

Should be good for 7 to 10 years more, not 4 or 5. You have yourself a great set at a fantastic price, good job

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/19524663

So you got a 5020 for 1300 bucks? Sounds like a superb deal to me....

Should be good for 7 to 10 years more, not 4 or 5. You have yourself a great set at a fantastic price, good job

Thanks for your reply.

I sure hope your right about 7-10 years.

If the scratch doesn't distract when there's significant dark colors over that area it will indeed be a keeper.

So far feeling thankful.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d /forum/post/19524746

Thanks for your reply.

I sure hope your right about 7-10 years.

If the scratch doesn't distract when there's significant dark colors over that area it will indeed be a keeper.

So far feeling thankful.

The plasma itself is either 60,000 or 100,000 hour rated. Do the math and that is at least 20 years at 8 hrs a day. If there's some sort of issue with an electronic board inside the set it could go kaput sooner but frankly that could happen to any tv, new or used...you did well, now enjoy it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.