Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K,

I know some of this has probably been asked before, but i'm just tryin' to hash out a purchase before I sink the money. I'm really a newbie when it comes to the plasma technology (er even displays for that matter). I've been to a few shops in the area to look at displays and i'm pretty set on the 503cmx. I just have a few questions about cards, etc:

1. I notice a *lot* of people on here buy from dell. Is that because of packaging er warranties? Is there something i'm missing?

2. Does this display generally come packaged w/a table stand?

3. Aurora card vs. pda-5002. I'm pretty sure I only need the pda-5002, but i'm trying to get some "warm fuzzies" about this purchase. I intend to hook this up to a dvd player, a SD directv receiver, and maybe a 'puter down the road (all devices except maybe the 'puter switched through a denon 5803 receiver). I'm not real concerned w/HDCP just yet. Is that the only reason for payin' for the aurora? Is the pda-5002 gonna b a good choice here?

4. I do like the bezel on the elite series televisions sets. Is there a way to get something similar for the 503cmx?

Thanx for the help folx.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
1. The Dell warranty is the same as others unless you buy an extended warranty (don't know if Dell offers one). I found better prices than Dell's on a recent 503 purchase.

2. The 503 comes with a table stand which should be bolted to the table top. Could tip over otherwise.

3. The Aurora card should be a better choice not only for HDCP protection but should be a better scaler.

4. Many Pro1000 owners (including myself) have removed the Urishi frame and are storing it. Others may be willing to sell as it will fit a 503cmx.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
1. Dell has had some really good deals in the past and they are good about returns. They are not pushing it as hard as they used to. It is currently listed for about $1000 more than I paid last October.

2. Yada/Ditto.

3. The Pioneer card is a better choice if its free. It is 100% ok for component inputs. I do not user the 480i input because the internal scaler is not so good. I do all scaling on a PC which is set to the native resolution of the plasma. A good companion for a plasma.

4. I like the bezel on the CMX !

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you are considering using PC then the Aurora card is not the best choice because it can not accept a Native Rate Signal from a PC. If you are not concerned with HDCP just yet, the 5002 card will serve your needs just fine.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
WIth my 5002 card I have the PC resolution set to 1280x720 and the plasma set to dot for dot. This is the primo setting for everything other than HDTV via composite. If the Aurora cannot accept that then it would not be my choice for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.