1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I should have mine on Friday :) Can't wait to see if it lives up to expectations :eek:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Free -

I was thinking about you when I found this update to the web site. I got a client of mine in on the Dell sale today for a 503, hope they can deliver! I noticed this site made mention of feet and removable besel ?

Keep us posted.

regards, Bruce

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
"...end-users can be assured of an investment that will not become obsolete..."

Can we hold 'em to that? :)

My comment is that it's difficult to tell the differences between the 503CMX and the PRO1000 from the specs/releases because they emphasize completely different features.

doody's picture in another thread made it look like the ugly frame on the PRO1000 is just bolted onto a 503CMX, so I can hope...:)

What is the deal with the feet? I'd like to forgo the stand. I'm weird like that.

Alex

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Wait, I think I have some insight on the feet. Go to the pioneerelectronics.com link above, and go to the Plasma section under the "For Business" menu. What's holding up the 502MX and V402? The feet!

To confirm this, one of the links for one of the overseas 503's (Europe?) had an "included accessory list". On that list was something like "Desktop Stand x2", and on the "available accessories" list was "Tabletop Stand x1".

Good enough for me!

Alex

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alexander -

Good Eye! About the feet. Maybe that's it.

What about removable besel?

Someone posted info before about different electronics, sorry I don't remember who. But I remember 10 bit vs 8 bit, 16million vs 8XX million colors and I think Big diff in grey shades. It's too late to think right now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In the "Dell 20% off repeat sale" thread, Brucer writes about the Plasma Depot link purporting to compare the 503CMX v.s the 505HD:

Quote:
The link you provided is clearly someone taking a 502mx vs. 505hd comparison and changing the 502 to 503. There is not a 503MX. Those same words are on Pioneer's web site 502mx vs 505hd. People have been using mx and cmx interchangably, but I think the press release's and specific info now clearly shows there to be a pdp-503cmx or a pro-1000hd only for the US.
I hope (for Pauly's sake) that you're wrong. The chart under "Technical Features" indicates that the 502CMX does not have "film mode", i.e., 2:3 pulldown. So, let's hope the PlasmaDepot comparison really is the 502CMX and not the 503CMX.

/eric

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
erehm -

You obviously read what I said backwards, go to the Pioneer web site and click on business plasmas, then pdp-502mx. there you will see virtually the same words as was in Paulys link, EXCEPT, in Pauly's link the 502 was changed to 503, In other words someone at that web site copied the pioneer words but changed 502 to 503. I thought I made that point clear to begin with!

regards, Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
erehm -

Well, I now see what the confusion was.

Pauly's link now shows something different than when originally posted. When he posted it the 'Comparison between 503mx vs 505hd ' popped up. Now your link has been corrected to say pdp502mx vs. pdp505hd.

I still say Pioneer web site has correct nomenclature - pdp-503cmx

there does not exist on pioneer site a pdp-503mx.

regards, Bruce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you all for your responses,

I have called Pioneer Tech Support for some direct info, but it appears as if their guys don't have that much info yet either. I did find out some interesting information however.

1. There is no 503MX. Only the CMX. Anyone who has it listed as the 503MX (Including Dell) is wrong

2. The guy on the phone did not believe that it came with a stand

3. The 503CMX has the EXACT same Plasma Screen as the Pro 1000HD. So there should be a noticable improvement over the 505HD.

Thats all for now.

Thanks Again

P.S. If anyone wants to call Pioneer and talk to their guys directly, (800) 421-1625. You will have to go through a teleprompt, select Plasma, wait, talk to a rep, have them transfer you to a different location, go through a new teleprompt, select Plasma, Wait, then you should have someone who knows what they are talking about. :D

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I've been saying - no 503mx...

By the way Dell is not calling it a 503mx either, in fact they are not calling it anything yet other than 'new 50', but they also added to optional video card 'PDA-5002 for pdp-503CMX at the same time. H---, they don't even have a Sku # yet (at least not posted).

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bruce,

Actually, we purchased it yesterday, and confirmed it today. They have it listed on their internal computers as the the 503MX. We told them that it is really the CMX, they just told us to expect the 503MX. Whatever. They can call it the 100b22XP5 if they want. As long as it is the 503CMX when it gets here, we are happy.

Thanks Again,

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pauly
2. The guy on the phone did not believe that it came with a stand
I'm not 100% sure, but I have a strong justified belief that it will come with a pair of feet that will hold it upright on a flat surface. Not everyone will call that a "stand", but it's enough to keep me from purchasing a proper stand. :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pauly
3. The 503CMX has the EXACT same Plasma Screen as the Pro 1000HD. So there should be a noticable improvement over the 505HD.
Define the range of "screen". Does that include the color filter?

Are the electronics (other than the video card) different? The same?

I hope and suspect that the 503MX and PRO1000HD are the same display, save for the frame and video card. (Crippled card comes with the PRO1000HD, none included with the 503MX, but same card with addition of DVI can be purchased.)

Alex

·
Registered
925 Posts
if the 503 ships with NO card whatsoever (crippled or otherwise) you're limited to VGA input and component input. svideo and composite are only on the de-DVI'd card in the PRO1000, if memory serves correctly (don't have the manual with me - but it's four inputs and i'm pretty sure it's 1=VGA; 2=component; 3=SVid; 4=Composite).

my understanding is that the electronics are not the same - that the 503 lacks 3:2 pulldown. there have been other posts that suggest the difference in electronics is further more radical than that.

the PRO1000HD does not come with any "feet", fwiw.

doody.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doody
if the 503 ships with NO card whatsoever (crippled or otherwise) you're limited to VGA input and component input. svideo and composite are only on the de-DVI'd card in the PRO1000, if memory serves correctly
Agreed. That's what made me order the card. :)

Quote:
my understanding is that the electronics are not the same - that the 503 lacks 3:2 pulldown. there have been other posts that suggest the difference in electronics is further more radical than that.
Peter Putnam's pre-production review physically verified 3:2 pulldown in the 503CMX. While unlikely, it could have been ripped out for the production model, but that seems odd at best. Has anyone actually seen a production 503CMX and verified that it didn't have it?

Quote:
the PRO1000HD does not come with any "feet", fwiw.
Wacky frame. The feet probably wouldn't fit on it. Besides, I suspect it's more of a presentation thing.

Alex

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I just spoke with the freight company and they are delivering my 503CMX tomorrow between 10 and 2 Arizona time. It would have arrived today but they forgot to put it on the truck :mad:

I will let you guys know if it comes with feet. Mine is coming with the card included (well actually in a seperate box). How much did you guy's pay for the video card?

Anyone want to suggest how to test for 3:2 pulldown? I will do my best to check if you guy's tell me how.

Don't expect me to spend all of my time tomorrow with this plasma, my projector is coming at the same time. Geez I wish they would spread this excitement out rather than having it all arive on the same day :)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
How much did you guy's pay for the video card?
$350 shipped. I didn't check around for prices, it's such a pain with these obscure items. :) What's the norm?

Quote:
Anyone want to suggest how to test for 3:2 pulldown? I will do my best to check if you guy's tell me how.
Check the menus for something like "Film mode" or "Cinema mode". I think Pioneer calls it "PureCinema".

You can also eyeball it if you know what to look for. (Judder in pans or smooth motion when viewing film-based sources.)

Quote:
Don't expect me to spend all of my time tomorrow with this plasma, my projector is coming at the same time. Geez I wish they would spread this excitement out rather than having it all arive on the same day :)
Aww, poor you. ;)

Seriously, enjoy both your plasma and projector. :)

Alex

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ericbee -

Alex reported in the Dell 20% sale thread that he ordered 503 and video card from them (not in stock). Card lists for $437 but with sale net $350.

regards, Bruce

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.