AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pioneer PDP-5070 and wanted to share an experience in case others are experiencing this. It is hooked up to a Moto DCT-6416 HD box. I noticed screen motion judder for over 2 weeks. You can see the scene moving and then, it is as if the picture stops for a fraction of a second and then restarts. My cable company cme and rewired some rooms (for free) but still the same deal.

My LCD in the MBR does not do that so I thought it was the TV. Nope, it is the cable box. Used the cable card and the issue went away (still see it every so often on TNT but much less and I can see it happening on the 40" LCD).

It seems there may be an issue with the feed and the box cannot overcome it while the plasma tuner can.

I have the signal split after the wall jack (no noticeable signal degradation) - one directly to the TV and the other to the cable box (using it as a recorder only). Best of both worlds, better picture and DVR capability. I use my receiver for audio so the analog out of the TV is going to the receiver - no video to audio delays.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is simply a weakness of the Motorola box. It's a terrible piece of hardware IMO. I have one and experience the same jerky motion that you do on occasion. BUT - I have found a fix. Go into the cable box setup and switch the output from 1080i to 720p, and back again. This doesn't change any settings, but it does reset something in the 1080i output that causes this jerky motion problem.

If you don't know how to access this setup menu, I'll tell you:

1. Set your TV to the Cable Box Input. (ie watch TV through cable box)

2. Turn off the cable box (but not your TV) by hitting the "Cable", then "Power" buttons at the top of your remote.

3. Hit the red "Menu" button the right side of your remote. After a few seconds a black and white setup screen should appear.

4. Move down (using the arrow keys) to the "HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT" line, then hit the right arrow. The screen should flash. Keep doing this until "720p" is selected. Now, hit left until 1080i is selected.

5. Hit "Menu" again. This should turn the cable box back off. Turn on your cable box, and the motion issue should be gone.

This problem does return occasionally, just repeat the process above. The Motorola boxes are really trash, I really hope Comcast replaces them soon.

Oh - BTW you see TNT jerky occasionally through CableCard because that station sometimes edits their programming by adding frames to extend programming longer than their original recorded length. For example, their law & order rebroadcasts contiain less commercials the original broadcasts, so they mess with the frames to extend the playback time. The result is occasional jerky motion and/or sound - the sound is especially evident on the opening music.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I will try tonight. I agree it is a terrible box. I will wait until TIVO lowers the price on their Series 3 DVR and then this piece of junk goes back to my cable provider. You are right, even with the cable card thereis ocasional jerkiness on TNT. I notice it quite a bit via the cable box on HDNet.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinito /forum/post/0

I have a Pioneer PDP-5070 and wanted to share an experience in case others are experiencing this. It is hooked up to a Moto DCT-6416 HD box. I noticed screen motion judder for over 2 weeks. You can see the scene moving and then, it is as if the picture stops for a fraction of a second and then restarts. My cable company cme and rewired some rooms (for free) but still the same deal.

My LCD in the MBR does not do that so I thought it was the TV. Nope, it is the cable box. Used the cable card and the issue went away (still see it every so often on TNT but much less and I can see it happening on the 40" LCD).

It seems there may be an issue with the feed and the box cannot overcome it while the plasma tuner can.

I have the signal split after the wall jack (no noticeable signal degradation) - one directly to the TV and the other to the cable box (using it as a recorder only). Best of both worlds, better picture and DVR capability. I use my receiver for audio so the analog out of the TV is going to the receiver - no video to audio delays.

Many AVS Forum participants have experienced the benefits (e.g. CableCARDs - A Primer ) and drawbacks (e.g SDV ) of one-way CableCARDs, howver there are some exciting developments regarding OCAP & iDCR coming next year.

Panasonic And Comcast To Join Forces To Test Interactive Digital Cable-Ready Television. Interactive Television to Integrate Open Cable Application Platform (OCAP) and Offer More Choice for Consumers to Enjoy HD, VOD and Other Advanced Home Entertainment Services.

Samsung, Time Warner Cable and Advance/Newhouse Join Together to Launch OCAP on Interactive HDTV Sets and HD Set-top Boxes. Time Warner Cable Launches High-Definition Interactive Digital Cable Services on World's First Interactive Digital Cable Ready (iDCR) OCAP-Based TV and Set-top Box from Samsung.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts