AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4910 | SI 2:35 150" scope | 7.2.4 RF7iii, RC 64iii, RP 502S | Denon 6500H, Emotiva XPA 5
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I know this topic has been discussed earlier but i want to start this thread to help me decide based on the factors that i am considering.

I have made up my mind that it is going to be one of the 2 tvs for sure.

1. PDP 6020FD

2. Panasonic Th-58PZ800u

The main deciding factor for me after reading reviews from many posts is I want to buy the tv, break-in and CALIBRATE and sit back and enjoy.

I really do not care too much about extra features like picture-in-picture etc. I will be setting this up in my basement where there will not be much light and it is a pretty much dim lighting when i am watching my movies and tv.

Can any help me decide which tv would be good for the above factor? I dont want to spend extra $$ if the Panasonic will work near closeness to Pio after a calibration. That said if the Pio is a better choice (although I have heard that this model locks down a lot of tweaking) I would go for the Pio as well.

I would appreciate any help. This forum helped me pick my receiver, speakers, cables etc. Now all i need is the tv and i will be all set

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you got the Cash $$$$ Then the choice seems easy. I don't have the cash so I tend to go for more bang for my buck, (also easy choice).

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
what???? not only the op is asking for 50" but even the flagship vizio pos could not compare to even the lowest end panasonic.

OP get the pioneer thats better then the panasonic, the pioneer non elite can be calibrated in the grayscale but not fully calibrated, for that you would need to go for the elite. granted its more but if you are planning to calibrate it like you said you will impact HUGE HUGE difference. the pro-151/111 is claimed to be the best TV period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/15518537

I'd recommend the 32" Vizio, for sure.

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/15518668

what???? not only the op is asking for 50" but even the flagship vizio pos could not compare to even the lowest end panasonic.

OP get the pioneer thats better then the panasonic, the pioneer non elite can be calibrated in the grayscale but not fully calibrated, for that you would need to go for the elite. granted its more but if you are planning to calibrate it like you said you will impact HUGE HUGE difference. the pro-151/111 is claimed to be the best TV period.

It is my belief he was being a smartass due to this topic being raised and discussed so many times thatis another thread asking the same thing really necessary?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
What happend with the op post? anyways question answerd, pioneer elite pro-111 is the best even without the calibration, if indeed getting calibrated then thats more of a reason why get the elite,

·
Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/15519198

What happend with the op post? anyways question answerd, pioneer elite pro-111 is the best even without the calibration, if indeed getting calibrated then thats more of a reason why get the elite,

I don't believe the 111 was even mentioned in the original post.

Wonder what you have for a set?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I have a PRO-111 50" elite version of the non elite PDP-5020

·
Registered
1,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 /forum/post/15601298

I have a PRO-111 50" elite version of the non elite PDP-5020

wow, you just walked right into that one.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
If you have $$$ to spend, the 6020FD is without a doubt the one to get. If you want to hold back and still get great performance without the deeper blacks, the 58PZ800U is my choice.

Chris

·
Registered
7,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/15603050

If you have $$$ to spend, the 6020FD is without a doubt the one to get. If you want to hold back and still get great performance without the deeper blacks, the 58PZ800U is my choice.

Chris

dead-nuts. there you go.

James

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/15603050

Chris

How can a set have "great performance" but lack deep blacks?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15604462

It's obviously a subjective statement. Some may consider the unit's black levels to be "great", while not neccessarily the deepest available. Or, while the TV may be lacking "great" black levels, the set on the whole may be a great performer. Although you and I likely consider deep blacks essential to a "great" set, even our standards are likely dis-similar.

This is the case for nearly the entire population of LCD owners, who know they don't have "deep blacks" but still (rightfully IMO) think they have a great television. Perhaps deeper or the "deepest" blacks would be contained in an equation yielding a "fantastic" or "superior" television (see the Kuro
).

It's highly subjective, but I understand (and somewhat agree) with your angle.

YMMV,

James

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15604462

I agree with what mastermaybe stated. Black levels are very important on reproducing a great picture, but lets not forget about the other attributes of picture quality as well. This the order of importance, in terms of picture quality:

1. Contrast

2. Color Accuracy

3. Color Saturation

4. Resolution

You can still reproduce a fine picture without the best black levels. Black levels are subjective to most buyers. LED LCDs have very deep black levels during the day, but the backlight is visible within a darkened room and could cause some clouding issues. Can most people live with this? Yes. Contrast is one aspect of picture quality. It is important, but with today's displays getting better and better each year with the advancement of technology, contrast will become an irrelevant/vague argument. Based on what we have today, there is a noticeable difference in black levels. Depending on who you ask, some people can live with what they have.

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts