AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through the other threads where they test PDP/LCD input lag, but I'm not very technical. Is input lag an issue on PDP for gaming? Are some manufacturers worse than others? I couldn't stand it on my parent's old Samsung DLP tv.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honestly its more to do with how they process the image than plasma vs lcd, and I would check the individual model you are looking at. LCDs are usually a bit slower on average since most LCDs are PVA or something similar, and the overdrive they use to reduce response time requires 1-2 frames adding 15-30 ms right there.

Panasonic is supposed to be pretty good, I think their IPS lcds are probably faster than plasmas (sadly they don't make them very large), and I've heard the plasmas average in the 20-30 ms range. Plasma doesn't guarantee a fast response though if they do alot of image processing - for example I was looking at a panasonic and a samsung plasma next to each other in the store the other day and the panasonic transitioned to the next scene MUCH sooner than the samsung, though they were probably running off a digital coax feed which the tv might have been buffering, so with a real input maybe they are both about the same.

To summarize.... well we really need the manufacturers to start listing this in the TV's specs! Though if they cared enough about lag to do that it likely wouldn't be a problem in the first place, its not that hard for them to make the panels fast (at least sub 30ms in game mode) if they really want to...

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
It varies between brands. Panasonic has little input lag, but Samsung PDP's -- much like their LCD's -- have pretty bad input lag outside of Game mode or PC mode. I'm basing this off of Samsung's 2008 models and from tests done with the PNA650 in the Input lag thread.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree with Rahzel. Trying out a Panasonic G10, Sammy B650 Plasma, and Sammy B650 LCD in store with COD4, the Panasonic was king for overall responsiveness/input lag.

The g10 (and im assuming the rest of the 2009 pannys) felt like playing on a CRT. The sammy plasma was still great, both in and out of game mode, but not quite as quick as the panny. The lcd felt the most sluggish (although from what ive read, the Sammy lcd panels are some of the worst in this regard), but still playable.

A friend of mine used to have an old DLP that was awful in this regard, dont know if it was the technology, or a busted set, but you could press a button twice before it registered once.

My 2 cents

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.