AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I making a mistake? LCD to PDP?

I had problems with two LG XCanvas LCD TVs, so I was given the option of getting a PDP instead. The problem I had with my LCD was uneven backlighting.

See here for photos: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847671

I have instead chosen a 50" LG XCanvas PDP to replace my LCD. The new PDP will only be 1080i, and the old LCD was 1080p. I hate downgrading like this, but I'm not really seeing a huge difference in video quality between p and i.

My problem is this....

I've always read that PDP sets have better blacks than LCD models. It seemed, however, that the LCD sets in the stores actually had better blacks. I could see much more detail in hair, on suits, etc., with the current new crop on LCD sets. The PDP looked a bit muddy in the blacks, by comparison. Honestly, I wanted to go LCD again, but I absolutely can't live with another TV that has uneven blacks.

I'm scared that the PDP won't have as much detail in the blacks as the LCD did. My old LCD had an 8,000 to 1 contrast ration, and this new PDP has a 13,000 to 1 ratio.

Is my problem just that I was viewing them in the store, and not in optimal home lighting conditions? Will I be able to see more black detail once I get the thing home?

What is your experience?

·
Banned
2,580 Posts
Here's a model from LG that also has the built in DVR that would be similar to what you had in your LCD. I looked at LG before I purchased my Pioneer and it appeared to have a decent picture. From doing some research the reliability seemed to be a slight issue with their sets but it does come with a two year warranty. It's not a 1080i set but you most likely couldn't tell the difference. Like mentioned above, Hitachi is the only one that makes a 1080i set. What's your viewing distance?

http://us.lge.com/products/model/det...__50PB4D.jhtml

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmatiz2 /forum/post/0

....I've always read that PDP sets have better blacks than LCD models. It seemed, however, that the LCD sets in the stores actually had better blacks. I could see much more detail in hair, on suits, etc., with the current new crop on LCD sets. The PDP looked a bit muddy in the blacks, by comparison. Honestly, I wanted to go LCD again, but I absolutely can't live with another TV that has uneven blacks.

I'm scared that the PDP won't have as much detail in the blacks as the LCD did. My old LCD had an 8,000 to 1 contrast ration, and this new PDP has a 13,000 to 1 ratio.

Is my problem just that I was viewing them in the store, and not in optimal home lighting conditions? Will I be able to see more black detail once I get the thing home?

What is your experience?

Maybe the issue is the definition of "better blacks".

The "better blacks" of plasmas refers to the fact that plasmas, as a rule, can get closer to true black(no light output). Maybe the term should be "deeper blacks". In any event, all else being equal, a set with elevated blacks in a well lit environment will show more detail in the blacks simply because all the detail in the dark areas will be brighter.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmatiz2 /forum/post/0

Am I making a mistake? LCD to PDP?

I had problems with two LG XCanvas LCD TVs, so I was given the option of getting a PDP instead. The problem I had with my LCD was uneven backlighting.

See here for photos: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847671

I have instead chosen a 50" LG XCanvas PDP to replace my LCD. The new PDP will only be 1080i, and the old LCD was 1080p. I hate downgrading like this, but I'm not really seeing a huge difference in video quality between p and i.

My problem is this....

I've always read that PDP sets have better blacks than LCD models. It seemed, however, that the LCD sets in the stores actually had better blacks. I could see much more detail in hair, on suits, etc., with the current new crop on LCD sets. The PDP looked a bit muddy in the blacks, by comparison. Honestly, I wanted to go LCD again, but I absolutely can't live with another TV that has uneven blacks.

What is your experience?

A couple of things.

The plasma display you saw was a 768p display not 1080i. It accepts a 1080i signal among others and then converts it/them to 768p for display. A good 768p display will look and perform better than a so so 1080p display so it is not necessarily a step down to go from 1080 to 768. Moving from LCD to plasma is generally a step up regardless of the resolution.

As far as the black detail you have seen in the stores, you are certainly looking for the right things to judge PQ but I fear not looking for them properly. You can not walk into a store, look at a display as set up, and then make any type of reasoned judgement particularly a negative one. Looking at a dispay without making sure it is reasonably adjusted is meaningless. I take it back. It is less than meaningless it is misleading. OK enough said. Go out and adjust carefully the displays you want to compare to get a reasonable idea of how the display can perform and do it in a reasonable environment, not under super bright lights.

You want a display where black signals can look as black as possible while near black signals are distinguisable from one another yielding detail and texture in dark areas. Plasma does this very well when properly adjusted. Much of this is controlled by the brightness control.

Cheers,

Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.