AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have given up on analysis paraylsis and gotten it down to 2 projectors, any

thoughts on either?

Mounting is not a problem, they appear to be about the same price, so any feedback would be great, I am slightly leaning towards the 7700, but only because it has a true hdmi port.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, they both seem to have some issues. The 7700 had some serious bulb issues. I had heard that maybe this was fixed. Not sure however. The optoma will throw out a better picture, has lens shift, and has a DC3. Also better optics. It also has had some bulb issues with some users but apparently less than the 7700. I do not own either so hopefully others will be able to chime in!!

PS: you dont happen to post over on the corvette forum do you?? Thanks!! Chad

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehehe, no, no covervette's in my future =), otherwise I'd go with the BenQ 8720..

thanks for your input!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I own a PE7700 and the picture quality is wonderful. I would go with the DC3 chip if Budget is not a problem or if price is close................. I see a range of about 800 bucks. I personally don't think the picture quality(calibrated) is going to be different enough to warranty the price difference I found, but your price quote may be different.

First I feel the bulb problem has been solved, and if I did not think so I would say, the thread dopped off the planet as soon as the problem was solved. There are to meny of us getting up into the high hours with no problems for a problem still to exist.

Last few things before I ask a question? Always choose a vary good dealer, especially when choosing between 2 PJ that have had trouble in the past,sorry but I don't know if Optoma has stood behind their product or not, I would think so ........but I can say Benq and my dealer stood behind the PE7700.

Lastly............AND MOST IMPORTANT. I noticed the HD7100 has a DVI input NOT a HDMI like most projectors. You need this question answered before you purchase, will the Optoma function fully with a source Player that has......HDMI output like all the HD-DVD players have. In the past HDMI source player to DVI projector has CUT OFF or turncated the" BTB"(Below the Black information) hear is a great article that described the problem....This is really my only concerns with the Optoma, but maybe Optoma have found away around the problem..........hopefully someone who knows will chime in or go ask this question in the HD7100 thread. The good info is near the end of this article.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-11-2004.html

Good luck and you will love the picture no matter which one you choose.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks checklist, yah, I see about a $500 difference between the 2, but having never had a projector before, I will be amazed either way, but after the keystone discussion regarding the 1000u, I might just get that, and wait for the 3 chip dlp's to come down a cpl grand =).

God I hate this...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would also consider the sharp dt-500/xv-z3000. the dt-500 can be found for 1500 at costco and the z3000 can be found at BB/magnolia on clearance for the same price. I'm actually installing the dt-500 tonight and will post some impressions maybe tomorrow. I am replacing a toshiba mt700, which was the benq 7700 clone. BenQ updated the bulbs and firmware for their product, unfortunately Toshiba is not. But they are giving refunds for units with multiple bulb failures. Both companies did a good job handling these issues in most cases. The optoma 7100 was on my list too. But the optoma 7100 thread doesn't give me a warm fuzzy that they are willing to address the problem. Seems to be some denial going on there and mostly sending bulbs to appease customers inside of bulb warranty and nothing outside of 90 day bulb warranty. i almost bought the Benq 7700 in spite of my issues with the Toshiba version, but the sharp deal seemed too good to pass up. And costco has an unlimited return policy, which is nice to know if i go through bulb issues again.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
glowkiss, i would love to hear how that goes, and can u provide some insight into this costco unlimited return policy?

I been all over there site, but can't seem to locate their return policy, sure unlimited can't be unlimited, otherwise, whats to stop u from getting a new projector every 3 years for free or close to it, aside from ethics that is...

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 /forum/post/0

Ok, I have given up on analysis paraylsis and gotten it down to 2 projectors, any

thoughts on either?

Mounting is not a problem, they appear to be about the same price, so any feedback would be great, I am slightly leaning towards the 7700, but only because it has a true hdmi port.

I'm up in Canada and one of the on-line retailers just knocked $300 off the 7700. This retailer is often the first one to lower their price and others follow suit. In other words, you might want to keep your eyes open for a PE7700 price-drop.

FYI -- It's now priced just a little higher than the Mits 1000 here in Canada.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:

glowkiss, i would love to hear how that goes, and can u provide some insight into this costco unlimited return policy?

I been all over there site, but can't seem to locate their return policy, sure unlimited can't be unlimited, otherwise, whats to stop u from getting a new projector every 3 years for free or close to it, aside from ethics that is...

Here is a link to the return policy. http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...166081#Returns

Only computers are an exception at this point. I have heard 3 or 5 years on electronics, but have not seen anything in print. There has also been reports that the return policy is changing this year, but nothing confirmed in writing anywhere. And you're right about the ethics part of this, which is why all the rumors about them doing away with this policy. Unfortunately, projectors seem to be the one of the least dependable electronics products around these days. which is why the costco return policy weighed heavily on my decision. The Toshiba mt700 threw a beautiful picture and i would be confident with the Benq 7700 as well. And Benq handled the bulb issue about as well as could be expected I think. There were certainly some lengthy delays but in the end they seemed to service everyone satisfactorily. that is a big plus and a 3 year warranty on it is a very nice security blanket as well.

Hopefully I can provide you some initial impressions on the Sharp tomorrow. Assuming I can get it up and running tonight. i think there is someone else who switched from the benq to the sharp in these forums as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi Mastiff. I can comment on the Mits 1000. If you can fit this in with regards to placement options, it will probably be your best bang for the buck. I am interested to see how the sharp fairs. But for the money, the mits is sure hard to beat. I think both the mits and sharp's are known for above average reliability when it comes to front projection!! Chad

PS: Yeah, it sure would be nice to have a vette and an 8720!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:

thanks checklist, yah, I see about a $500 difference between the 2, but having never had a projector before, I will be amazed either way, but after the keystone discussion regarding the 1000u, I might just get that, and wait for the 3 chip dlp's to come down a cpl grand =).

God I hate this...

Just make your call on how well the unit fits you room and your budget......glowkiss make a vary good point with the Sharp DT500 and I like the sharp, for the low offset angle....This make install in a low ceiling much more possible. If you have good ceiling height the Mits is an easy chaise for sure.

The good thing all the PJ's mention hear I would be proud to hang in my theater. My advice is pick one that fits your rooms environment. The rooms size,rooms lighting, SCREEN SIZE and seating ARRANGEMENT,and viewing habits are what should determine what projector you need.

I think you are asking the right question..............Just look at you ceiling height ,how many theater seats/rows, and if any ambient light needs to be delt with.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks chklist that helps a ton, I guess part of my problem is I havent seen anything in person, and I hate buying something without seeing it first, but I am going to costco this weekend with a friend to try out that sharp for spin!

My cielings are 8' so not the greatest with a large offset aka the mitsu, but i hear

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:

thanks chklist that helps a ton, I guess part of my problem is I havent seen anything in person, and I hate buying something without seeing it first, but I am going to costco this weekend with a friend to try out that sharp for spin!

My cielings are 8' so not the greatest with a large offset aka the mitsu, but i hear

Mastiff,

I bought my DT-500 from them but online, I haven't seen it in the store. It arrives tomorrow and I will post my impressions this weekend on the differences from my BenQ 7800.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just installed my Sharp DT-500 last night, still have some setup issues. My ceilings in the basement are very low and I was actually using a zero offset projector before, toshiba mt700. This projector has a little offset that I will need to keystone for to make it work in my theater. But initial impressions are very positive. The Black levels are definitely superior to my toshiba, it's very noticeable actually. A few of the dark demo scenes on DVE revealed some details i hadn't noticed before, and i use this disk frequently. Noise level is very noticeable. The only true quiet mode is using Movie2, Eco-mode, high-contrast - with these settings it is actually quieter than my toshiba. Any other mode/settings and this thing really cranks up the volume. Colors are very vibrant and the picture is sharp also, no real advantage over the toshiba here though.

A few nit-picky things - It is very slow when changing channels on my cable system. When going from a 480p channel to a 720p channel, the projector takes a very long time to lock in the signal and display the picture. This will make channel surfing very painful. Seems to be a slight brightness uniformity issue in the upper right. This was only noticeable on solid test patterns, didn't really notice when watching cable. And I think this was mentioned by someone else, but green seems to be not right with this projector. In the DVE test patterns, Green seems to be very lime-ish in color. Was able to improve this a little by working with the C.M.S. options, but still not right in my opinion. But I'm sure as more people buy this and start tweaking that we can get this better. If someone has a link on a How-To for C.M.S, I would greatly apreciate- not sure the differences between Hue/Intensity/Value and how they interact.

All-in-All i think this will be an upgrade over my Toshiba. Just like with the toshiba there are always some issues that will need adjusting or tweaking down the road. But my major complaint with MT700 was with the black levels, and this projector definitely improves on that and contrast details. Which is a big plus for me. i will post more thoughts after this week-end, since I will get alot of Xbox 360 time and some hi-def playoff games on sunday. Go Bears!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GO BEARS IS RIGHT BABY !!! It's our time !

Thanks for the insights glowkiss, I look forward to your impressions on Monday after our March to the SuperBowl.

I am looking forward to your thoughts as well timjuliano

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:

GO BEARS IS RIGHT BABY !!! It's our time !

Thanks for the insights glowkiss, I look forward to your impressions on Monday after our March to the SuperBowl.

I am looking forward to your thoughts as well timjuliano

some call me...tim...

Mine is "out for delivery" and is being delivered here to the office...I don't have a ceiling mount for it, however, so I will have to make do in test comparisons. I have noticed there is an inexpensive mount available on ebay, however, that I would probably pick up if I decide to keep it.

I'll be intereted to see about the noise, as my 7800 is actually rated at 32db, so the DT-500 should actually be an improvement, though it would be nice to have it "whisper quiet" as they say.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.