AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. Not only does BestPrices.com have the lowest prices, but they're fast, at least with my first D-Theater tape.

I received Peacemaker at 2 p.m. today (today is the "street date"). Unfortunately BestPrices has temporarily sold out Terminator 2 (they're flying off the shelves?), so that's on back order. They expect to get a resupply "real soon." I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have 2 extra T2's. If anyone doesn't want to wait, check ebay. My Peacemaker tape was sent out by bestprices.com but I have not received it yet.

bb

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peacemaker is my first movie in the D-Theater format. I've had the demo and the two music videos for several months.

Here are my impressions:

1. As others have said, I was not "blown away" by the experience. Maybe if this was my first HDTV experience, I would be awestruck. But after watching 124 hours of the Olympics, 12 hours of Masters golf, etc., the video in this movie was not strikingly different than broadcast HDTV. However, I suspect that in a side-by-side comparison, there might be differences. For example, the color was always vibrant, and subtle shading/lighting gradations were apparent.

2. As others have said, the sound was spectacular. Instead of a 5.1 speaker system, it seemed like there were an infinite number of sound sources. When someone spoke, the sound seemed to be coming from that person's spot on the screen. The machine guns sounded more realistic than in any movie or PC game I've heard (I'm not an expert on machine gun sounds, but it sure seemed like I was next to the real thing.). Maybe we can skip DVD-Audio technology -- this may be as good or better?

3. No audio or video dropouts. I have seen plenty of those on programs that I've taped on the JVC or have been taped on other (non-JVC) D-VHS machines. There was one "hiccup" about half way through the movie, similar to a DVD layer change. The little on-screen twin speaker logo appeared briefly. However, I played the tape over that section again without seeing the hiccup.

4. Bottom line is that there were no flaws to complain about. This may not be the very best demo, but it certainly was a great way to see this movie. (I give the move 3 stars out of 5 for content). It is reasuring to see HDTV 1080i, 28 Mps, Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.35:1 on the box.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think when people talk about the PQ experiences they have with these movies it would help if they list thier display device. Just as when other film based HD sources are discussed such as Showtime and HBO where opinions run the gamut from awesome to mediocre on any given movie, I'm sure that will be the case here too. In other words, the more capable the display, the more likely one is to see the differences. Which of course is why at the WSR Festival they didnt use a run of the mill RPTV (like mine).

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I'm really interested in the sound being "better"--the spec for D-Theater DD is 640 kbps (the max for DD), so I assume that all the movies/content are recorded at 640, vs. the typically 448 we see on DVD. Can anyone confirm this? Or are we witnessing some re-mixing too?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan: My display is a first generation Panasonic 56" rear projection HDTV.

·
Registered
Sony A90J | ATV 4th Gen | Sonos Arc, One SL, Sub | Oppo UDP203
170 Posts
First things first...I have a G90 with a DVP-5000 projecting 1080p on a 96" screen.

To be fair, I did a relatively quick 30-minute evaluation of "Peacemaker" but I can state definitively it is not close to the same class as "U-571". It reminded me of bad HBO HD. There were many scenes--not just dark and dimly lit--that appeared closer to 480p than HD. As a matter of fact, if I didn't know the source and had to guess, I would have bet the ranch that I was watching a DVD. FWIW

Jim

·
Hello, World!
2,465 Posts
Can anybody with D-Theater tapes comment on the quality of the coding, ie are you seeing any of the usual compression artefacts that we see on DVDs...

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
Mark,

That's an excellent point and one worth mentioning. I thus far have only the demo tape and T2. I can tell you that the lack of artifacts is one of the qualities that sets D-Theater apart from the pack. I've seen ZERO compression artifacts, in fact, I've seen just about ZERO artifacts period. I say "just about" because in the demo tape, I saw one instance of what I guess was "moire" in very closely spaced vertical bars on a railing in the segment on Spain. It gave the edges of the railing a purplish color. Other than that it just doesn't get anymore pristine than this.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Do you guys see compression artifacts on HBOHD?. I looked very hard and always look for it but never see it. I sometimes see those on Showtime HD though. I think also that we should talk about DVHS not having artifacts. D-Theater is just an extra encryption on top of 5C which has nothing to do with picture quality..

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
CKNA,

I think the extra bit rate may help alleviate most or all of the motion artifacts that are sometimes seen on satellite or OTA HD as with rapid camera pans. Thus far I haven't seen these artifacts on D-Theater but I don't have sufficient software yet to judge fairly. I do know the demo tape showed many many tiny features that would have shown some slight artifacts had they been broadcast on satellite or OTA. On D-Theater they are virtually absent, nothing but pure picture. :)

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I've never seen artifacts on HBOHD but I have on OTA HD. Last sunday's repeat of Alias in HD was terrible. All kinds of compression articfacts in solid colors.

·
Hello, World!
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA

Do you guys see compression artifacts on HBOHD?. I looked very hard and always look for it but never see it.

Yes, nearly all the HBOHD tapes I have exhibit compression artefacts of one form or another, hence my question about the quality of the D-Theater tapes... compression artefacts are, for me at least, one of the most distracting aspects of DVDs.

Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
concerning HBO HD, I'm getting the OTA cablevision feed which my hipix tells me is encoded at 10 megabit, vs the 18 megabit that CBS broadcasts through the antenna. During heavy motion in final fantasy yesterday, and angel eyes the day before that, it broke up significantly... So what's D-theater at? someone said 28 megabit a while back... that still true?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
I'm getting the OTA cablevision feed which my hipix tells me is encoded at 10 megabit
There seems to be difference how HBOHD is delivered. If Cablevision sends HD at 10Mb this means it is way too low. Data rate on Dish5000 output is around 15mb. This looks to be causing the difference people see.

DVHS can go as high as 28.8mb but I doubt that D-Theater tapes run this high. They are probably around 24-25Mb.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For what it's worth, the box for Peacemaker says 28.2 Mbps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.