AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received the new Peachtree Audio DAC*iT and have to give first impressions. First of all, clarity in instruments is greatly enhanced. I'm using a mac mini with Pure Music. Source media was a 16 bit 44Khz ALAC file of Adele's "Lovesong." First I used my old MF V-DAC. Then the DAC*iT in optical mode and then in USB mode. The difference was significant. Even between optical and USB mode. The USB mode was much more defined without coming across as overly bright. Surprisingly much better than the optical mode. My wife and I listened to the song over and over again and we both agreed the USB mode with the DAC*iT was the best (not that it sounded bad through the other modes). Only one problem, the mac mini will not play anything higher than 48 KHz in USB mode. I tried Pure Music, iTunes by itself, Decibel and VLC and everytime I tried to play a 96Khz file, the program did nothing and wouldn't play. I set both sound settings and Audio Midi to "Peachtree USB DAC" and nothing. It would play hi-res through the optical cable but not through the USB. I haven't figured out if it's a DAC problem or mac mini problem. The sad thing is that it definitely sounds best through the USB connection.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timosmith /forum/post/0

Just received the new Peachtree Audio DAC*iT and have to give first impressions. First of all, clarity in instruments is greatly enhanced. I'm using a mac mini with Pure Music. Source media was a 16 bit 44Khz ALAC file of Adele's "Lovesong." First I used my old MF V-DAC. Then the DAC*iT in optical mode and then in USB mode. The difference was significant. Even between optical and USB mode. The USB mode was much more defined without coming across as overly bright. Surprisingly much better than the optical mode. My wife and I listened to the song over and over again and we both agreed the USB mode with the DAC*iT was the best (not that it sounded bad through the other modes). Only one problem, the mac mini will not play anything higher than 48 KHz in USB mode. I tried Pure Music, iTunes by itself, Decibel and VLC and everytime I tried to play a 96Khz file, the program did nothing and wouldn't play. I set both sound settings and Audio Midi to "Peachtree USB DAC" and nothing. It would play hi-res through the optical cable but not through the USB. I haven't figured out if it's a DAC problem or mac mini problem. The sad thing is that it definitely sounds best through the USB connection.

A) Congratulations on getting your hands on one -- I've got gift certificates to burn at Crutchfield, and I've been waiting for two months for it to show up in stock there. Did you pre-order direct from the manufacturer?

B) Sounding great through USB isn't sad, it's just that you haven't yet figured out how to get the higher sample rate file to play through that input. There's got to be some way to get that file to play -- the spec sheet specifically says it supports 24/96 on data sent through the Type B USB input.

C) Have you had a chance to try the coaxial input? The spec sheet says coax supports 24/192. I'd love to know how it sounds on coax.

D) If you can't figure it out soon, I'd be happy to share with you via PM the contact info for a senior executive at Peachtree Audio. I'm sure he'd be happy to help you get to the bottom of it.

Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bill,

I am very happy with the sound overall. I actually also posted to computeraudiophile.com and have Jon Derda from Peachtree helping me troubleshoot. I pre-ordered it directly from the Peachtree website back in May so I think I may have one of the first ones. With regards to your other questions.

B. My latest testing has revealed this:

My setup:

2010 Mac Mini with 8 GB of RAM connected to DAC*iT via Wireworld USB, and Optical, and HDMI which is then connected to a Denon AVR 3310CI Receiver.

-I have installed the 10.7.1 update and done more testing.

Using iTunes only and USB output:

-Settings/Sound set to Peachtree USB DAC

-Audio MIDI set to USB output 2 channel 24 bit/44.1 Khz

**44.1/48/96Khz music files will play**

-Audio MIDI set to USB output 2 channel 24 bit/48 Khz

**44.1/48/96Khz music files will play**

-Audio MIDI set to USB output 2 channel 24 bit/96 Khz

**44.1/48/96Khz music files will not play. Double clicking on song in iTunes brings up the little speaker icon indicating playing next to song title but in the play window the song timer never moves off of "0"**

C. I haven't used the COAX but I've used the optical which also goes to 192Khz. I think it sounds better through the USB.

D. Thanks. As said above, Jon Derda is all over it. Great service so far!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I uploaded the firmware via a PC Laptop and rehooked the DAC to my mac mini and so far, so good. Hi-resolution files are playing and sounding fantastic. Thanks!

If anyone else is having this problem. Look on computeraudiophile.com under the forum titled, "Problems with iTunes and OSX Lion - - HELP!" and you can get info on where to get the firmware update.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...-OSX-Lion-HELP

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
I'm thinking of giving this DAC a try. Major re-configuring of my system is likely going to force the sale of my Eastern Electric Minimax...which I am very, very happy with...and into something a little less expensive (hopefully only temporarily).

What's the PSU like on this unit? It's not a wall-wort is it?

CD

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/0

I'm thinking of giving this DAC a try. Major re-configuring of my system is likely going to force the sale of my Eastern Electric Minimax...which I am very, very happy with...and into something a little less expensive (hopefully only temporarily).

What's the PSU like on this unit? It's not a wall-wort is it?

CD

Yes, it is. But it's small. Think of it as a wall-pimple.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWPascoe /forum/post/20928013

Yes, it is. But it's small. Think of it as a wall-pimple.

Even worse. Just got rid of the WW on my SBT, and it makes a big difference in the level of background noise.

CD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.