AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peacock is live for me this AM. Scanned through it, not impressed. Lots of old content, fair number of older movies and recent NBC tv content. Layout is not bad, but navigation could use some tweaks, don't want to scroll through everything to get back to the top. As Xfinity customer I get the "Premium" version free, ad free costs $5/mo.

I'll play with it for a while, not sure I'd pay for it.

·
Registered
26,505 Posts
Peacock is live for me this AM. Scanned through it, not impressed. Lots of old content, fair number of older movies and recent NBC tv content.
This is only a soft launch for a limited number of testers. New original content is not expected to premiere until late this year or next year.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Peacock is live for me this AM. Scanned through it, not impressed. Lots of old content, fair number of older movies and recent NBC tv content. Layout is not bad, but navigation could use some tweaks, don't want to scroll through everything to get back to the top. As Xfinity customer I get the "Premium" version free, ad free costs $5/mo.

I'll play with it for a while, not sure I'd pay for it.
Main two things I see are, the ability to watch The Tonight Show several hours early, and that there may be Premier League games and Olympics coverage on it (when sports returns). Other than that, I can't see myself watching much on there.

Also this article says:

The company also has reboots of Saved by the Bell, Punky Brewster and Battlestar Galactica planned as part of its lineup of originals, which will start to launch later this year.

Do they mean a new new Battlestar Galactica?? OK I'd be interested in that. But Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster, yeah meh.

https://www.engadget.com/nbc-peacock-launch-everything-you-need-to-know-191032095.html

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Also this article says:

The company also has reboots of Saved by the Bell, Punky Brewster and Battlestar Galactica planned as part of its lineup of originals, which will start to launch later this year.

Do they mean a new new Battlestar Galactica?? OK I'd be interested in that. But Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster, yeah meh.

https://www.engadget.com/nbc-peacock-launch-everything-you-need-to-know-191032095.html

Sam Esmail is the showrunner for the new BSG series and he's already said it's not a reboot. It's a new story with the established universe.
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/new-battlestar-galactica-series-wont-be-a-reboot

·
Registered
687 Posts
Any 4K or HDR content? How's PQ? Audio?

Reactions: longhorn23

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Any 4K or HDR content? How's PQ? Audio?
No 4k or HDR content that I could find. They haven't officially announced what content will have HDR, they only mentioned the service is capable of it. I'd imagine we'll have to wait for original content or sports to get HDR.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks. Both their 4K boxes (XG1v4 and Xi6) are supposed to support HDR and Atmos so we'll have to wait and see if/when they'll make such content available.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Won't be available on Roku etc. until summer, this is a soft launch for X1/Flex customers only. Leaves this Tivo user on Comcast (and any legacy customer) out of it until then.

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
We have Comcast for our internet. Apparently because of that we can get their Flex streaming thing and the Peacock included for free. Anyone have any experience or opinions/thoughts on this Flex device?

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's ok, nothing special/ does support Amazon and Netflix,as well as Hulu and others. Does 4k hdr/dolby and atmos on amazon but no atmos on Netflix.

·
Registered
12,700 Posts
I can't think of a single program announced for this Peacock network that I have any interest in watching...Punky Brewster and Saved by the Bell reboots seems to be their 'prestige' programs

do they have 4K HDR support?

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
Ordered their Flex device this morning. It's free. I wouldn't pay for the Peacock. Like I won't pay for CBSAA. Sprinkling a couple decent shows behind these paywalls is getting ridiculous. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Have to draw the line somewhere. All that aside, Peacock will be free. I'm looking forward to the new BSG and alleged Psych movie. Absolutely love that show.🍍

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
Seeing the trailer for the new Psych movie has me, well, psyched!:D

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
Flex streaming box arrived the other day. It’s going on the family room tv where the wife and kids mainly watch. Hooked it up. No Disney+, no YTTV. Disconnected and reconnected the old Roku 3. The Flex will remain in storage until something worthy comes out on the Peacock.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can't think of a single program announced for this Peacock network that I have any interest in watching...Punky Brewster and Saved by the Bell reboots seems to be their 'prestige' programs

do they have 4K HDR support?
King of Queens is on there and def one of my all time favorite sit-coms. It'll eventually be the home of The Office as well which is also one of my favorites.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
NBC put out a press release about what shows will premiere on launch: https://www.nbcumv.com/news/peacock-announces-first-originals-july-15-launch-0?show=7218375&network=7201292
Peacock, NBCUniversal’s new streaming service, today announced its original content that will be available to stream on July 15, 2020, when the service launches nationally. Peacock Premium customers can stream all first season episodes of“Brave New World,” “The Capture,” “Intelligence” and “Lost Speedways;”sports documentary “In Deep with Ryan Lochte;” and the entire full-length film “Psych 2: Lassie Come Home“ on July 15. Additionally, Peacock Kids is home to new episodes of “Curious George” and two original series from DreamWorks Animation: “Cleopatra in Space” and “Where’s Waldo?.”

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I've been disappointed with Peacock. There are too many commercial breaks during TV shows. The are from 30 seconds to a minute. If you rewind past a commercial break you have to watch the commercials all over again. I started to watch Yellowstone tonight starring Kevin Costner. It really looks like a worth while watch. The commercials are irksome but I just have to live with them.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
1 - 20 of 308 Posts