AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
I agree about the annoying audio...the volume for the ads is much louder then the audio for the movie currently playing...definitely agree about the immersion as well...during John Wick the later ad breaks were immediately after an intense action sequence which broke my concentration...
I hit the mute button on a ads then they have very little impact. Usually it's just a bunch of people acting silly to sell me a product I have absolutely no use for.

You might want to check out "Mr. Mercedes" which is an adaptation of Stephen King's story (and King has a cameo). There are three seasons the latest just added.

I checked "Mistress of War" yesterday but accidentally got the dubbed English version which does not have the bug I mentioned earlier. Switching to the Spanish version the freeze was still there. It was not only a freeze but left out a segment.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
You might want to check out "Mr. Mercedes" which is an adaptation of Stephen King's story (and King has a cameo). There are three seasons the latest just added.
is it one continuous story/mystery over 3 seasons or is each season a new standalone mystery?

·
Registered
20,241 Posts
Will Forte Suicide Drama Slammed by Mental Health Group as "Wildly Irresponsible"

Forte's drama series for Peacock is facing calls for cancellation just days after it was announced.
Will Forte's suicide drama series is getting slammed by a mental health organization.

The Last Man on Earth actor's new Peacock project Expiration Date — about a man who spends a year plotting his own demise — is being called "wildly irresponsible" by the nonprofit group Inseparable.

“What a wildly irresponsible and callous concept that will, no doubt, endanger countless viewers,” said Inseparable founder Bill Smith in a statement. “Glamorizing suicide leads to contagion, that is a fact. At a time when our country is already suffering a mental health crisis compounded by the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left Americans’ mental wellbeing at a two-decade low, the last thing we need is a reckless show hinged on the question of 'will he or won't he' succumb to the devastation of depression — an all too real and painful experience for millions of Americans."

Expiration Date, from creators Harry and Jack Williams (Fleabag), was announced earlier this week as in development at the NBC Universal-owned streaming service. Expiration Date's official description says the show is about "a man [Forte] who is consumed by grief and finds a life insurance policy that covers suicide — provided that the individual doesn't carry out the deed within one year. Content that his family will be provided for, Robin sets his expiration date and contemplates how he will spend his final year. It's going to be a long 12 months."

Smith acknowledged that his group doesn't know the details of the show — let alone how the show will be, well, executed — yet insisted the show's overall idea was enough to condemn the project.

"NBCUniversal would do well to rethink such a dangerous idea that could lead to an increase in suicide among viewers," Smith continued. “This show shouldn’t air, period. Equally as important, Hollywood content creators should educate themselves on what’s helpful and what’s harmful. There is such a great need for education among storytellers about the power they have to shape narratives around mental health that can be preventative instead of damaging ones that may be the difference between life and death.”

"Suicide contagion" is defined by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services as "the exposure to suicide or suicidal behaviors within one's family, one's peer group, or through media reports of suicide and can result in an increase in suicide and suicidal behaviors. Direct and indirect exposure to suicidal behavior has been shown to precede an increase in suicidal behavior in persons at risk for suicide, especially in adolescents and young adults."

NBC Universal did not have an immediate comment, but a source close to the production noted that the Williams brothers planned to work with mental health professionals in their crafting of the show.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
Yaphet Kotto, Homicide: Life on the Street Star and Bond Villain, Dead at 81

Yaphet Kotto, best known to TV audiences as police lieutenant Al Giardello on Homicide: Life on the Street, has died at the age of 81...

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
is it one continuous story/mystery over 3 seasons or is each season a new standalone mystery?
A mix. There is a related theme between each season but essentially each season could be watched as a standalone.

For those who have been watching "Mistress of War" with the original Spanish soundtrack, I checked last night and episode 7 has now been fixed.

·
Registered
20,241 Posts
Natasha Lyonne To Star In Rian Johnson Mystery Series ‘Poker Face’ Picked Up By Peacock From MRC Television

By Nellie Andreeva

EXCLUSIVE: In a competitive situation, Peacock has landed Poker Face, a mystery drama starring Russian Doll‘s Natasha Lyonne from Rian Johnson, his T-Street banner and MRC Television, with a 10-episode straight-to-series order.

This marks the first TV series for Knives Out and Start Wars filmmaker Johnson who is the creator, writer and director of Poker Face and will also executive produce alongside T-Street partner Ram Bergman and the company’s television president Nena Rodrigue. Lyonne will serve as an executive producer via her Animal Pictures. The company’s Maya Rudolph and Danielle Renfrew Behrens will co-executive produce.

“Rian Johnson’s distinct sensibility and talent for telling edge-of-your-seat mysteries is a massive gift for Peacock, and we can’t wait for audiences to delve into each case,” said Lisa Katz, President, Scripted Content, NBCUniversal Television and Streaming. “Paired with the acting genius of Natasha Lyonne, this series will be entertaining and addictive.”

No details of the premise have been revealed but Johnson lifted the curtain on what the show will be about.
“I’m very excited to dig into the type of fun, character driven, case-of-the-week mystery goodness I grew up watching. It’s my happy place,” he said. “Having Natasha as a partner in crime is a dream, and we’ve found the perfect home at Peacock.”

Poker Face marks the fourth straight-to-series order for MRC Television over the last year, in which the TV business has been battered by the pandemic. It joins The Terminal List for Amazon, starring Chris Pratt, Constance Wu, Taylor Kitsch, Riley Keough and Jeanne Tripplehorn, which is in production; limited series Shrink Next Door for Apple, starring Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Kathryn Hahn, Casey Wilson, which is also in production; and Shining Girls, headlined by Elisabeth Moss, also for Apple. The Terminal List and Shrink Next Door are co-productions with Civic Center Media, the joint venture between UTA and MRC; Shining Girls is a collaboration with Appian Way.

“Rian is a gifted writer and director who draws you in with his unique approach to mystery and we’re so proud to partner with him, and Ram, and to have Natasha Lyonne as our lead, and land this phenomenal show at Peacock with a talented team,” MRC Television President Elise Henderson said.

Poker Face stems from T-Street’s first-look deal across film and television with MRC, which is is a minority investor in the company.

Johnson received an Original Screenplay Oscar nomination for Knives Out, which earned more than $300M worldwide. Johnson’s other recent credits include “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” and Looper. T-Street was launched in 2019 by Johnson and Bergman. The duo is currently preparing the follow-up to Knives Out, which Johnson is writing and directing; and they are producing upcoming Netflix series Three Body Problem alongside David Benioff, D.B. Weiss and Alexander Woo. T-Street is repped by CAA and attorney Stephen Clark.

Poker Face will not interfere with Lyonne’s duties as co-creator, writer, director, executive producer and star of Netflix’s Russian Doll, for which she earned Golden Globe and Emmy acting nominations. The series is currently in production on its second season. Lyonne also recently executive produced and directed Sarah Cooper: Everything’s Fine, produced by Animal Pictures, and can currently be seen in Lee Daniels’ United Stated vs Billie Holiday. Lyonne is repped by WME, 3 Arts and Schreck Rose Dapello Adams Berlin & Dunham.

MRC Television, a division of MRC, is also currently in production on the fourth and final season of Ozark for Netflix, the second season of The Great for Hulu.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
I watched John Wick 2 last night on Peacock...once again it had a few quick 15 second ad breaks...I wish the ads were not there but it goes by so quick you barely notice it...I signed up for Amazon Channels Cinemax to watch John Wick 3...really great series of movies...the action is insane...all of them are excellent but I'd rank them in the following order- Chapter 3---> Chapter 1---> Chapter 2

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
I was hesitating starting this as 30 episodes is a lot but after doing a bit of research on the series I decided to do it...5 episodes in and it's excellent...it's a very slow burn but I'm loving the characters, the actors and the writing...the dialogue in this is funny as hell at times...I was surprised to find out that David E. Kelley is the showrunner/writer (which explains the sharp dialogue) and LOST director Jack Bender directs the vast majority of episodes...those are 2 heavyweights which give this series some major gravitas...the fact that it touches on some Obama era socio-economic commentary is also an interesting touch

Brendan Gleeson is excellent as the retired detective, I've been a fan of Harry Treadaway since Penny Dreadful and the supporting characters are also interesting and funny (the character of Ida who plays Bill Hodges' neighbor is hysterical)...I hear Season 1 covers Book 1 but then Season 2 jumps to Book 3 (Season 3 covers Book 2)...my only question is why the hell was this on Audience Network and not on a bigger platform like HBO, Netflix etc?...seems like it flew under the radar because no one ever heard of Audience Network

with the talent behind this I'm surprised it couldn't secure a deal on a bigger platform

·
Registered
393 Posts
..my only question is why the hell was this on Audience Network and not on a bigger platform like HBO, Netflix etc?...seems like it flew under the radar because no one ever heard of Audience Network

with the talent behind this I'm surprised it couldn't secure a deal on a bigger platform
This and Condor both flew under the radar. I suppose AT&T had some plan for the Audience Network but being AT&T, they couldn't help but screw it up.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I was hesitating starting this as 30 episodes is a lot but after doing a bit of research on the series I decided to do it...5 episodes in and it's excellent...it's a very slow burn but I'm loving the characters, the actors and the writing...the dialogue in this is funny as hell at times...I was surprised to find out that David E. Kelley is the showrunner/writer (which explains the sharp dialogue) and LOST director Jack Bender directs the vast majority of episodes...those are 2 heavyweights which give this series some major gravitas...the fact that it touches on some Obama era socio-economic commentary is also an interesting touch

Brendan Gleeson is excellent as the retired detective, I've been a fan of Harry Treadaway since Penny Dreadful and the supporting characters are also interesting and funny (the character of Ida who plays Bill Hodges' neighbor is hysterical)...I hear Season 1 covers Book 1 but then Season 2 jumps to Book 3 (Season 3 covers Book 2)...my only question is why the hell was this on Audience Network and not on a bigger platform like HBO, Netflix etc?...seems like it flew under the radar because no one ever heard of Audience Network

There are some pretty good deals still out there. Here's the current 50% off for four months deal: Watch WWE - Stream every live pay-per-view including WrestleMania | Peacock

·
Registered
15,778 Posts

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
I finished Season 1 of Mr. Mercedes...excellent series...deserves way more accolades...hopefully the move to Peacock will lead more people to check it out...I'm hearing that the subsequent seasons aren't as good as the first but are still worth watching...

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
I'm not a wrestling fan but I check it out every so often...the WWE hub officially launched today on Peacock...I took a peak at some of the WrestleMania shows and picture quality looks decent...for wrestling fans it seems like a great deal and much better then the previous WWE Network

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I finished Season 1 of Mr. Mercedes...excellent series...deserves way more accolades...hopefully the move to Peacock will lead more people to check it out...I'm hearing that the subsequent seasons aren't as good as the first but are still worth watching...
Gleeson did some fine acting in this.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
A mix. There is a related theme between each season but essentially each season could be watched as a standalone.
I'm not sure if S2 can be watched as a standalone...you pretty much need to watch the 1st season to fully appreciate the events of S2...the first 2 seasons are pretty much 1 story...I hear the 3rd season is a new case...

·
Registered
16,794 Posts
Last night, I for some reason, decided to search "Schindler's List" on ROKU, and it turned up Peacock .. being the tightwad that I am, I am on the free sub ..

Went ahead and decided to watch, it is one of my favorite films .. low and behold, not a commercial in sight .. don't know if I just got lucky or what ..

721 - 740 of 764 Posts