AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if anyone was running the oppo 970 dvd player via 480i over HDMI to their Sony Pearl projector. I like the idea of using the DVD player as a transport that sends unaltered data directly to the projectors upconversion hardware.

Are there any good suggestions for DVD players that mate well with the Pearl?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I've done several searches, but couldn't find any first hand experiences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jacob:

I've been running 480 thru HDMI directly to a Pearl using the Oppo 981HD.

My office is down the street from Oppo HQ, so I dropped in and picked one up the other day. Have not had time to test the various resolutions yet (Oppo 1080p up-conv. vs. 480 to the Pearl), but the Oppo default setting is 480 and it looks great.

Am currently looking at HDMI receivers (my older NAD T752 receiver is starting to bug-out again), and I will eventually move the 981HD to another room when HD/Blue-Ray shakes out & prices come down...but for now this is my setup. Have nothing to compare with, since this is my first HT & first Oppo player - but I am delighted with the quality so far. Hope this helps.

Anyone else with an Oppo player care to comment further on resolution settings to the Pearl?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I think you'll get the best results letting the best deinterlacer do the initial 480i to 480p conversion. Is the Oppo Faroudja based? (I'm not sure.) But if it is, it's probably going to do a more reliable job of deinterlacing than the Pearl's internal VP.

The Pear's VP is pretty good. But aside from the macroblocking issues in dark scenes on certain projectors, it's tough to beat a Faroudja for deinterlacing DVDs.

I own a Faroudja based Denon DVD player that upconverts to 1080p and I find that I get the best picture outputting at 1080p and avoiding as much of the Pearl's VP as possible.

In my quest to get rid of the annoying double outlines that the Pearl's VP adds to certain low resolution content, I found that outputting 1080p from the DVD player resulted in the least EE/ringing. The EE that remained visible was most likely on the DVD itself.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy /forum/post/0

Is the Oppo Faroudja based?

Yes, it is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am considering the 981 for my Pearl. I am currently using a 971 outputting 720p. I have tried 180i and not been as pleased. My own experience and reports indicate that the Pearl is happiest with a progressive input. The deinterlacer in the 971 is the same as in the 981 according to the web site. I would be very interested in anyone's experience with the 981 outputting 1080p as opposed to 720p, and whether they thing any difference is worth the relatively small cost of upgrading. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The best way to enjoy DVD is to get HD-DVD. It plays both regular and the new format great.

And the lower line players are as cheap as most of these "up-converting" models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.