AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Pearl since October. The bulb blew with less than 220 hours. No warning, nothing. Just won't turn on past the "starting" screen and then the "Lamp/cover" light is blinking 3 times in a row. The manual says this means the bulb needs replacing.

Does anyone know if this is a common issue with the Pearl? Since it's a relatively new piece of gear, I'm wondering if this is a trend or am I just unlucky? It's also just past the 90 day bulb warranty (figures) but I did get the 3 year Mack warranty so I'm covered.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to why it blew? There was a bit of dust on the filter screen when I took it out to check. Nothing too radical though, is this unit that sensitive to dust? If so, take your filters off and give them a quick blow before it's too late.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That thread is all for cheaper projectors. I was wondering specifically about the Pearl. The Sony repair guy said he wasn't sure if there was a problem with bulbs going early on this model since it's only been out a few months.

So I'm just feeling out the crowd here. From the lack of response it sounds like it was just my bum luck...which is a good thing!

I would still clean those filters once in a while, I know I will.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
That does indeed suck.

I've seen other threads (not necessarily for the Pearl) where re-seating a bulb assembly will correct this. Worth a shot.

That having been said, you may consider calling Sony for warranty... while there will always be outliers on the average, this seems awfully low, and there are enough other Pearls out there with >250 hours on the bulb (mine included), that this is obviously a faulty bulb...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did replacing the bulb fix your problem?

I have had the Pearl since Dec. and have around 100 hrs on the orig. bulb. The projector stopped working last Fri. with the same 3 flashing light beeps that indicate the bulb is bad. I ordered a new one and replaced it and even with the new bulb in it does the same thing.

Guess it is time to get service involved... I just figured I got a defective bulb with my projector, but now it looks like it is something else.

George

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
George,

Don't tell me that! Ughhh, my replacement bulb should be here tomorrow or Friday. I'll let you know if it works or not. I was suspect about the bulb going like that, especially when I turn it back on now, the "starting" message is perfectly clear in the lower right corner. Then...it shuts down and the light blinks 3 times. I'm still not convinced it's the bulb, but this is my first bulb based projector so I have no idea if the bulb will totally shut off or if it's normal to still be able to see the "starting" image...

Guess I'll know soon enough when that replacement gets here.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Check your hatches - are they securely closed? I had a little scare when I first got my Pearl - fire it up and all I get is blink blink blink... Turns out the front filter hatch was not latched. It looked like it was closed, but not quite clicked all the way. There are at least two hatches (filter and blub) and there may be more, I don't recall.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did check the hatches. As a matter of fact, I just pulled the lamp out (as suggested here) and receeded it. I then made sure the hatches all "clicked" when I shut them (you can actually see where the sensors are and what part of the covers must "click" with them).

I turned it back on and same old thing, the "starting..." words come up then it shuts off. The lamp looked perfectly fine when I had it out. No spots, or broken wires....sooooooo we'll just have to wait until the new one shows up to see if it's something else.

I'm thinking there is something else going on though...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jason,

If a bulb goes, does it go completely? Is it normal to still be seeing that "starting" word at the very start? To me that means the bulb is still fine if it can show an image. Again, this is my first bulb based unit so I don't know....

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK.... I did the following....

Removed and reseated the bulb and made sure that there was no dust/dirt anywhere in there.

Made sure that both the bulb hatch cover and the filter cover are completely on.

Still no dice... when I would try to start it the bulb would come on the would soon shut off and the 3 blinks would start.

Than I was looking at the ring around the lens... it twists off. and lo and behold when I took the ring off and tried to start the projector it STARTED. I still have not tested it yet... but it does startup now.

So I am thinking that my problem must be with the sensor that checks to see if the ring is on around the lens.

George

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
If something shows up on screen then how in the world you guys are saying he has a bad bulb?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree and I honestly did not think it was the bulb, but I had tried everything (except removing the ring around the lens) and it still was giving the error. I did not know if there was a defect with the bulb assembly that would let the bulb start for a few seconds and then cutoff and since the error indicator said it was the bulb and not a case problem, I decided to try and replace it. Worst case is that I have a spare bulb for down the road.

Made sense to me at the time anyway.

George

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
George,

You got my hopes up there but when I remove the ring, it still shuts off after the Starting screen is up. Oh well. The reason I keep asking if it's possibly still the bulb is because I'm not sure if the Pearl runs some kind of internal test to see if the bulb is adequate (thus it could still work for the "starting..." screen, then shut off if it's not showing proper bulb specs or brightness. I don't know, still seems like it's not the bulb though.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
might be the powersupply

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The new bulb just arrived, I installed it and lo and behold....it worked! I guess when the lamp no longer meets a certain level, the projector will no longer turn on, even if the bulb still technically "works" (enough to show the "starting..." word anyway).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.