AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got bak from seeing Pearl. I live here on Disney property in FL (Celebration - town that Disney built) and at the beginning of the movie Disney did a fly by of 4 T6 fighters - awsome.

Man this movie had some awsome bombing run shots, and panoramic lanscape shots. Amazing - It'll be a while of course, but I can't wait to see it in my Home Theater (DILA - Meridian based). I thought I'd post this, because of the emotional feel I get when I see a movie like this. It's a new experience to go to a theater and while watching, think: 'Man if it looks and sounds like this here, wait till I get it Home!' What a weird feeling - Of course ou can't say it outloud 'cause poeple think you're nuts (till you show 'em that is)

I recommend this movie to all us HT nuts!!

(Especially those with calibrated DILA's, gray screens, and HTPC http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif - now if only the Pannie makes it out before Pearl on DVD!)

ken

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
"It will be a 2-disc "Vista Series" release, with DTS, tons of extras that were made during production just for the DVD (including multiple camera angles), and will be released on December 4, 2001."

This was quote from the Home Theater Forum.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool - thanks Tom - Can't wait; Disney used to be one of the worst at the DVD game, but now seems like one of the best. Especially the Collectors and gold series - lots of extras, great transfers

ken

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Since this film was shot by Michael Bay I assume he used about 50 cameras for every shot and feels like he has to use every one of them in the final edit.

Any shots last longer then 2 seconds? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Frank

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frank-

yea you're right. there were lots of short shoots moving from different angles. Much different than Cameron using long shoots from a given angle. But I must say, it was effective in this case with lots of action happening in multiple places concurrently (bombing at Pearl). It gave you a great sense of the scope of anarchy. A couple of long shoots followed the bomb or torpedoe into their targets were especially effective, since they tracked for the longest time. Gave you the sensation that the only entity that wasn't confused in the attack was the bomb itself; very cool..

ken

·
Registered
581 Posts
This movie will be what gladiator was a movie we all can't wait to get home and watch .

This movie camara angle takes you where you've never been before.

No wonder they went over butget the feel of the movie was incredible. at my AMC I did not notice the sub bass explosion as dramatic as I thought it would be.

But I think that was just my theater.

There was some scenes where they wanted a yellowish effect so some scenes will have the yellow green look to it.

Hugo

[This message has been edited by Hugomed (edited 05-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
JP3 will have to be damn good to get me to see it after the ridiculous JP2, effects or not...like, what was with the black gymnast?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
581 Posts
Planet of the Apes will be a good contender.

I did read in on a post that Pear will be realese in Dec and Will incoporate multi camera angles shots on the DVD.

Maybe I'm byas because I love War movies. Enemy at the gate is another I liked.

How about Shrek on DVD and soon to come out Final Fantasy

IMO Hugo

[This message has been edited by Hugomed (edited 05-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom-

I thought the acting was ok, but the story dialog could have used more spark. I also, thought they could have done more to include the war strategies (like Tora Tora Tora and Midway) and veteran memorialization. But the scenery and battle shots were some of the most spectacular I've seen. Also, very good sound mix on the dogfights!

It's a definite DVD for me.

ken

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just don't understand Hollywood these days, 50 million on special effects and 5 dollars on the script. Why oh why can't they marry a decent script with decent special effects on a more regular basis. They ruined Star wars with TPM. Independence day and JPII are a couple more that spring to mind. Seems to me they are written to appeal to the lowest denominator. From what I've read so far on Pearl Harbour it's seems that they've trivialised what was a defining (and horrifying) moment in American history in the quest for the mighty dollar. Still they're not the first and won't be the last to do so.

Ian - rant off

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Pearl Harbor can be summed up by a scene late in the movie where FDR is told of the attack. He asks how bad is it? The assistant replies "real bad and it's not over yet." That's how you'll feel watching this unintentional comedy about the attack.

This is the poorest excuse for a war film since McArthur.

Terrible acting, terrible dialogue lifted from second rate soap operas and every cliche you have ever seen in film.

The special effects are good but the battle scenes are lame and repetitive and do not create any drama. And oh yes, almost every explosion is one of those ridiculous oil fire balls which show no research or common sense whatever on the part of the "creative" team.

Do yourselves a favor and watch Tora Tora Tora again.

I'm not exaggerating-this film is very poorly done!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Wilson:
Why oh why can't they marry a decent script with decent special effects on a more regular basis.
Ian,

I couldn't agree more.

It seems to me the right recipe starts with a good script. Then add special effects as needed.

Hollywood often seems like its recipe reads:

1. Star Power

2. Special Effects

5000. Best Boy

5001. Script

--Les

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Hawk,

You and like minded members nailed it.I will watching TORA,TORA,TORA over and over.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Ron

"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
JP III will surprise. trust me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif . I would even say it's better than the first two combined.

PEARL HARBOR: the 40min attack, the rest......... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

TOMB RIDER: miam miam

PLANET OF THE APES: goody goody

my vote: JP III. it will blow away even the most picky viewers here......

------------------

for cinema sound in your HT, use cinema speakers and cinema amps! unbeatable.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
JP3 can't be any worse than the second one. That was one of the WORST movies I've ever seen. The anti-gun rhetoric was so obnoxious as to make it as close to a pure political propaganda piece as could be.

I very much doubt I'll even watch JP3 after number 2.

And sounds like I'll skip P.H. as well. Thanks for the heads up on the script. I absolutely can't stand movies that are trivialize and cliche. You would think the bar would have been set by Saving Private Ryan for P.H....

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
203 Posts

ditto...Ditto... DITTO... a very disappointing movie with no real substance. That Doolittle raid sure doesn't fit with the movie title. Character development sucks, acting was amusing at best and no sense of drama. It was plain terrible. And I watched it while my wife is out of town. Once she gets back, She'll wants to see it anyway.. So I will have agonize through it one more time. Oh fun`

·
Registered
16,894 Posts
With the crappy dialog and ham-fisted acting I can only guess that you guys have a glutton for punishment.

This is one summer film that won't be finding a home in my theater.

Well, that makes two down so far: Pearl Harbor and The Mummy Returns. I can only guess that Tomb Raider will be in the same genre of brain-dead actioneers. Although, if the story is half way decent, busty Laura Croft (Angelina Jolie) could make up for the other half. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Here's hoping that A.I. and JP III are much better.

Dan

------------------

STOP DFAST and The MPAA!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.