AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the film critic surely won't please the die hard fans of the movie :D ( are there any ? :D , perso, I kinda liked it, some parts ).

technically, seems like good stuff, typical Michael Bay colors, contrast and a big but not so subtle audio track ( dts prefered here so say widescreen and dvdfile ).

Yet, what many await is the director's cut, rescheduled for May 2002 I think. we'll see if critics will change thereafter.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video

_4/pearlharbor.html

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo...bor/nurses.jpg

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I enjoyed all of this movie.

The new cut is supposed to down play the romance, and concentrate more on the action/ war....I'm not so sure I like that idea...sounds like they're trying to cater to the people who were disappointed that it was a romance/ relationship movie set during one of the most dramatic moments in our history.

I enjoyed it's balance in that regard...but I'll probably buy both, IF the Director's cut (or whatever) puts a different spin on the events.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
KennyG, where did you hear that it was going to downplay the romance? I heard that it had like 3 minutes of added footage was all (though I can't recall where I heard that).

What I found most irritating about the review was this comment about the History Channel Documentary:

Quote:
Thankfully, this special gives us the background and context on the real event the film never does, though the overly patriotic tone was a little much for me.
Geez, sorry if our sappy patriotism doesn't mesh with your palette there pal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kinda felt a bit puzzled, though not American myself ( but by heart yes ) by dvdfile critics, especially that they even felt so bored that sort of took the side of japanese (!!!).

We can critic Michael Bay-Disney approved ( note the distinction !) cut of the Pearl Harbor for its flaws or depiction of the event and big romance part but we can't feel unpatriotic. That's not tolerable.

As far as I have read, Bay had to modifiy his cut to be approved by Eisner ( less blood, more romance,thus, more familiy oriented, in the spirit of Disney). Given the fact Eisner was controling the moneys, negociation possibilities for Bay were limited.

On the other hand, who knows, maybe the disappointing BO causes the two of them to decide on a director's cut, more violence, less romance (hence the small difference in total duration ), since the dvd market has become so important for majors.

I'll pick up both editions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
KennyG-

The added three minutes is footage cut during the attack sequence that is a bit bloodier. BUT- i dont know how this downplays the romance as you stated. I dont think they really have anything to do with one another. IF they wanted to downplay the romance they would have to cut about an hour out of the beginning of the film.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Exactly, that's what I'm wondering...perhaps they have cut more of the romance than that (3 min) but added more in the war/action areas giving the 3 minute change in length.

If they cut 15 minutes of the relationships, and added 18 minutes of action footage, well that changes the whole story line. However, if that's the case, the ending we saw in theaters will not work as well.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from widescreenreview:

".....Deep bass is very powerful at times, with particular intensity below 50 Hz with substantial use of the .1 LFE. The DTS® Digital Surround™ version offers a noticeably more prodigious low-end presence, as well as what seem to be subtle refinements in terms of spatial rendering and midrange resolution (noticeable particularly with stringed instruments for the music score). "

this seems to confirm what I felt in theaters ( saw it three times in different modern theaters): the lack of deep subsonic bass (the stuff you hear on SPR, TITAN AE), that "sub 20hz making feel your bowels getting crushed" :D

·
Registered
833 Posts
Oh boy, even P.B. at DVDFile complains about visible EE. Thats a bad sign. I sometimes find titles terrible EE wise, where he doesn't even notice it. Still have my hopes up, though.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi Bjoern

well, looks like this dvd will need your expert review :)

you got Le PACTE DES LOUPS YET ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KennyG
I enjoyed all of this movie.

The new cut is supposed to down play the romance, and concentrate more on the action/ war....I'm not so sure I like that idea...sounds like they're trying to cater to the people who were disappointed that it was a romance/ relationship movie set during one of the most dramatic moments in our history.

I enjoyed it's balance in that regard...but I'll probably buy both, IF the Director's cut (or whatever) puts a different spin on the events.
I think someone called it "Titanic with Guns", I know my wife is dying to see it, I told her that the Directors cut is coming out in May, and maybe we should wait, and she said "I'm not waiting till May", so I guess I'll be buying both as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.