AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people have asked about my adjustable height pedestal mount so I took some pictures. The mount is a ceiling mount that I converted to a floor mount. I added wall brackets to attach to my rear wall. The part of the mount that goes up and down (projector, shelf and inner pipe) weighs 40 pounds. Too heavy to move by hand so I have two (stacked) 40 pound gas springs. Two standard stock (smaller) springs were cheaper than one large custom spring. With the springs, I can raise and lower the projector with two fingers.

Pictures were taken on an over cast day with no flash or lights on in the room. You can see from the ambient light why this room is only used at night.

Projector down: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...o/IMG_2844.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...o/IMG_2845.jpg

Projector up: http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...o/IMG_2842.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...o/IMG_2843.jpg

It was easy to do. Mount and other parts were scrap or extra stuff left over from work projects.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
There is a nice looking free standing projector mount I've found online that appears to cost $150.00.

Send a PM and I'll share a web link.

From the online pictures it looked the perfect solution for someone that can't shelf mount and doesn't want the hassle of a ceiling mount.

We use a simple shelf mount - I guess my question is if you've adapted a ceiling mount to be a wall mount why not emply a simple wall shelf?

Ours looks good and was cheap, cheap, cheap to attach to wall studs and simple adjustments using the PJ's built in Vertical and Horizontal lens shift makes up and down shifting quite unnecessary.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/15446545

There is a nice looking free standing projector mount I've found online that appears to cost $150.00.

Send a PM and I'll share a web link.

From the online pictures it looked the perfect solution for someone that can't shelf mount and doesn't want the hassle of a ceiling mount.

We use a simple shelf mount - I guess my question is if you've adapted a ceiling mount to be a wall mount why not emply a simple wall shelf?

Ours looks good and was cheap, cheap, cheap to attach to wall studs and simple adjustments using the PJ's built in Vertical and Horizontal lens shift makes up and down shifting quite unnecessary.

Did you look at the pictures? The projector is mounted center of the screen which happens to be center of the window. A wall mount will not work. How many DLP/LCD projectors can offset horizontally over 50%? I do not know of any. Besides even if a projector did have enough lens shift I would not like using maximum lens shift. That is what it would take if the projector was mounted on the wall on either side of the window. A fixed pedestal mount would work, but it would leave the projector and mount standing in front of the window all of the time. Besides, I use a DLP projector that has as much vertical lens shift (+200%,-100%) as most good LCD projectors, but it has zero horizontal shift. Ceiling mount is out, the ceiling is 17 feet high. The mount that I built has an offset projector shelf so that the projector is over the shelves in front of the mount. When lowered the projector shelf just looks like a part of the shelves below it.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Looks cool. Could you post some close up pictures of the way it is attached to the wall and the spring mechanism?

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 /forum/post/15449455

Looks cool. Could you post some close up pictures of the way it is attached to the wall and the spring mechanism?

I can't take a picture of how this works because it is all hidden inside the tubes. Two angle iron clips were weld to the outer tube and these are bolted to the wall. Gas springs are the struts that you find on hatch back cars. The gas springs that I bought have 12" of travel each. The exterior diameter of the gas springs is 7/8". I placed a 1" interior diameter pipe inside the drop tube of the mount. The 1" pipe is to help hold the gas springs nice and straight. I placed a gas spring inside the 1" pipe. I took a dowel and drilled a hole part way through from each end. I placed one end of the dowel on the end of the gas spring. I then placed the other gas spring into the other end of the dowel so that the gas springs were stacked.

One tube on the projector mount has holes in it every two inches for adjusting the drop. I attached the other end of the gas spring to the tube with shelf by sliding a bolt through one end of the tube, through the end of the spring and then out the other side of the tube. Basically one end of the stacked gas spring pushes against the base of the mount and the other end pushes against the shelf that the projector sits on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts