AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PLA50-UNLP-GB was intended for 30" - 50" plasma or lcd screens. I have a 46" samsung a950 so I bought the PLA50 mount but I am replacing the lcd with a refurbished 55". The 55" is only 80lb and the PLA50 is rated for load capacity up to 150lb. Since the 55" is lighter than the load max I should be fine right?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found on my mount on my z-line stand it said it was good up to a 50 inch tv. Yet on the website it said it was good for a 65 inch unit. My guess is that when my stand was designed 50 was the largest common size.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 /forum/post/16983432

The PLA50-UNLP-GB was intended for 30" - 50" plasma or lcd screens. I have a 46" samsung a950 so I bought the PLA50 mount but I am replacing the lcd with a refurbished 55". The 55" is only 80lb and the PLA50 is rated for load capacity up to 150lb. Since the 55" is lighter than the load max I should be fine right?

Unless you live in an area where 80 is more than 150, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16989462

Unless you live in an area where 80 is more than 150, you'll be fine.

Obviously this is what i'm thinking but was looking for some people with first hand experience. Do you have first hand experience?

Strange thing is that peerless offers a PLA60 model for 60" tvs, yet 60" plasma and lcds are still under 150lb. Makes you think.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 /forum/post/16989664

Obviously this is what i'm thinking but was looking for some people with first hand experience. Do you have first hand experience?

Strange thing is that peerless offers a PLA60 model for 60" tvs, yet 60" plasma and lcds are still under 150lb. Makes you think.

Yes. My car is a 5 passenger model but I frequently drive with fewer passengers - even just myself sometimes.

Seems to work just fine.

As to tv mounts, my experience is to stay within the weight limits recommended for the mount. Never had a problem when doing this.

My feeling is that the mount for your tv is not the place to save money by going with one that is not rated for the weight of your set.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 /forum/post/16983432

....Obviously this is what i'm thinking but was looking for some people with first hand experience. Do you have first hand experience?

I have the PLA50-UNLP-GB. It's been out for at least a few years and back then, a 50" Plasma was a lot heavier than the current crop of Plasmas and LCD TVs of the same size range so that's probably why it has such a high weight rating but a smallish 50" size rating compared to the newer PLA60. The first TV i mounted to it was my 42PZ700U which weighs 84 lbs and the mount was solid as a rock with no sagging or other problems. I pushed down on the arm when i first mounted the TV to it to check to see if it was still solid and it was fine.

As long as the bolt holes on your 55" 80 lb TV line up with the universal brackets i'm virtually certain that the larger size won't be a problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16990011

Yes. My car is a 5 passenger model but I frequently drive with fewer passengers - even just myself sometimes.

Seems to work just fine.

I suspect you are not TRYING to be an ass but your words aren't adding any wisdom. You just described using something to less than it's full capacity whereas my concern lies in using something beyond it's recommended size limits. That is, if you were a huge fat hog of a person and your car recommended only drivers of a certain dimension that's less than your dimension, would that still be fine?

Quote:
My feeling is that the mount for your tv is not the place to save money by going with one that is not rated for the weight of your set.

I think everyone with any sense feels the same. But the issue here, if you haven't caught it, is that while the LCD is within the weight capacity it is not within the recommend dimensions and while i'm fairly certain that isn't a problem I would like confirmation from someone who has some experience with this preferably with peerless mounts. I think scorrpio probably answered it sufficiently. I just still wonder why there is a PLA60 if load capacity is everything since most tvs 60" and bellow are not over the PLA50's load limit of 150lb

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 /forum/post/16990264

I think everyone with any sense feels the same. But the issue here, if you haven't caught it, is that while the LCD is within the weight capacity it is not within the recommend dimensions and while i'm fairly certain that isn't a problem I would like confirmation from someone who has some experience with this preferably with peerless mounts. I think scorrpio probably answered it sufficiently. I just still wonder why there is a PLA60 if load capacity is everything since most tvs 60" and bellow are not over the PLA50's load limit of 150lb

I think the primary reason why the PLA60 is rated for a 60" TV is not because of weight, it's because it extends a few inches further out from the wall than the older PLA50 does (32.3" vs 30.5"). That extra few inches of reach may be needed for clearance when you want to turn the much wider 55" TV 90 degrees from the wall. The arms are more beefy on the PLA60 and the wall bracket portion on the is also taller than that of the PLA50 apparently to help support the added lever moment that goes with that extra reach. The TV mounting plate and uprights look to be identical.

>> PLA50 Specs PLA60 Specs

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would say that your probably fine, unless something does go wrong. If you do encounter any problems with the mount and then need to take action, the fact that you were using a 55" set on something rated for 50" might cause a problem for you.

just another thought to throw into the mix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.