AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but this isn't a well covered topic, so i am hoping for some help/input.

I am currently refurbishing a traditional tenement flat and i am looking for some suggestions and recommendations for speakers in the bathroom.

There will be a Sonos ZP120 in the central media cuboard to serve the bathroom. The speakers would be for music while soaking in the tub.

We have high ceilings (3.10m or 10') and with neighbours above, it'd be a bad idea to use in-ceiling speakers.

We are having a very traditional looking bathroom, so wall speakers would likely look out of place.

I then stumbled across Pendant Speakers like this one ...

Adasta Pendant Speaker - Wide Angle White
http://www.inta-audio.com/pa-live-so...le-white-p4014

... has anyone used pendant speakers or can comment on the sound quality?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Pendant speakers can vary in quality, performance and cost just like any regular speaker. To use one like that, or any similar to that, you would simply switch the tap to the 8Ohm setting and connect the speaker wire.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I have these on my deck. Being an outdoor spear would be great in a humid bathroom. I use them with the subwoofer and it's great. I'm guessing they'd be fine alone for what you want them for, but would suggest the sub since it makes music much better, especially at low volumes. Good thing is that you wire all three up together as 2 speakers, makes it easy.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/a...ex-outdoor.php

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your relies guys!

kwkshift - yeah, its hard to know what you have to spend to get half decent sound.

ambesolman - those Polk Audio Atrium Sat's look ace!! if only i had a garden to use them, they are just too much money for a bathroom. The cheapest i can see here is £200 for a pair and i was hoping to keep this to £100 tops?!

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
You don't see pendant speakers in the home too often. They are used often in commercial spaces with very tall ceilings. I would still consider ceiling speakers with a built in enclosure or a back box so it doesn't bleed through upstairs. You'll have a greater range of price and quality.

If you really like the look of the pendant speakers, you'll need to check more in the commercial market at brands like JBL, Tannoy, TOA, Bogen, Atlas, Soundtube, OWI, Valcom, etc. I doubt you'll find many opinions here as it is used more in commercial areas. Also, with these speakers they are designed for a purpose. Some models have a very narrow dispersion pattern to cover a more focused area and some are made for wider area coverage. You will not be happy with any pendant speaker, you'll have to do some research on the ones that will best suit your needs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, thats what i've found so far, most pendants are for alarms or voice paging, so some of the spec sheets i've looked at have had very narrow frequency responses etc.

I I used in-ceiling speakers they will be almost 3 metres from the listener in the bath, and so will have to be turned up, and so will be heard in my neighbours flat above. Pendant Speakers seem to be a great solution, but i just don't know which ones?

Can you convince me an in-ceiling speaker with a rear enclosure would not disturb the neighbours above?

thanks again!!

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
A good enclosed ceiling speaker will not bleed through to the neighbors above anymore than the pendant. If you play either loud enough it will go ceiling and disturb them.

The trade off is price. I don't think you will find decent enclosed in ceiling speakers any where near the price of the Adasta pendant in your link. Isn't that about $20 in US currency?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.