AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my screwdriver with the penta-pin head. Without that I can't take my plasma down. Anyone know where I can find one? I been all over the place with no luck. I have the Peerless Model PLWPION50 by the way.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
764 Posts
That's a standard Allen wrench. You should be able to find that anywhere -- Home Depot, Lowes, auto parts shops, etc., etc. There's a good chance your neighbor has one. I'm not sure what size you need, maybe you can get it off the website or something, but you can buy a whole kit of various size Allen wrenches for not too much money.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
That's usually called tamper-resistant (or security) Torx, AFAIK.

Wait, you said 'penta-pin' - that would imply five sided!? Never heard of such a thing - Torx, Allen, etc. is all six sided.

Tamper resistant Torx (and just about anything else) can be found at McMaster-Carr . [Search for Torx Driver or whatever.]

·
Registered
33 Posts
we're an appliance parts house and we sell a tool with multiple "torx with a tit" bits, so if you strike out, try your local appliance parts wholesaler.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Strange, my Peerless came with regular Allen bolts. Yeah, Torx is about the same, but with a pin in the middle. Torx wrenches are still pretty easy to find, though. Any auto-parts shop should be able to set you up. Can't vouch for home centers, they might or might not carry Torx.

Both Torx & Allen are 6-sided. 5-sided is strange, I've never seen that. That could be a hard one to locate. Sorry I didn't catch that.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Suggestion: If you do actually have some goofy 5-sided bolts, replace them with something more standard (such as hex-head or Allen) after you get them out, so as to avoid this problem next time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I wish Home Depot would carry more screws with "goofy heads." I refuse to buy slotted screws anymore; they're just a pain to use. And so many of their screws are made of such soft material it's rather easy to strip standard philips head screws when using them in a strong material.

It's on my list to stock up on a variety of screws ordered online so I can get something that works better, and is made of something stronger.

Torx head screws are pretty common in the overall scheme of things; maybe just behind allen head screws, in terms of what you may find on equipment you purchase. Of course the tamper-resistant varieties are much less commonly used. :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peebee
Strange, my Peerless came with regular Allen bolts. Yeah, Torx is about the same, but with a pin in the middle.
Well, to be anal (and maybe avoid some future confusion), 'Allen' is shaped like a hexagon, while Torx is more like a six-pointed star. The center pin is optional (and used to be really unusual) and makes it tamper resistant. [It's 'tamper resistant' because it used to be really difficult to find the mating torx driver. It's pretty easy now.]

You can often use an Allen wrench on a Torx bolt as long as you don't need much torque. But having both a set of Allen wrenches and a set of Torx wrenches is pretty handy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.