AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am building an HTPC with Pentium G3420 Haswell and 4gb of ram 1600Mhz.

Is it powerful enough for

- 3d bluray (do i need special mobo for this?) or 3d movies in general

- 10bit 1080p encoded video(mainly anime)

- madVR

- 4k video (no a priority but still would be happy to be future proof as i am planning to keep the htpc for a long time)

- not concerning htpc but light gaming (FIFA 14 or PES 2014 and emulators would be enough) and probably a light file server

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

No. Pentium will not do 3D. You need AMD, or at least an i3 Intel. Other option would be a cheap video card like the RADEON 6570 on the Pentium.

- 10bit 1080p encoded video(mainly anime)

- madVR

- 4k video (no a priority but still would be happy to be future proof as i am planning to keep the htpc for a long time)

- not concerning htpc but light gaming (FIFA 14 or PES 2014 and emulators would be enough) and probably a light file server

Sounds like you might want an AMD CPU unless you want to add an AMD GPU to the Pentium. You can basically buy an AMD chip with a superior GPU built in though, and it will do light gaming, light madvr and 3D better than any Intel CPU.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Again, for Intel, you need an i3 or better for 3D.

I expressed this in Post # 16 in the previous thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165  /t/1513039/a6-6400k-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24250241

For what you have stated as your intended purpose, No.

For Intel procs, you need a i3 or better for 3D.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
10bit 1080p content also needs a bit more CPU power, since you can't use HW decoding for those files, so I wouldn't cheap out on the CPU here.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24281527

10bit 1080p content also needs a bit more CPU power, since you can't use HW decoding for those files, so I wouldn't cheap out on the CPU here.

Nevcairiel, Have you found anything to back this statement up? I have been unable to find anything definitive on the internets, in my limited searching, but some have expressed that a Sandy Bridge Pentuim can handle Hi-10.

Some have even suggested that a Celeron, and even iPad can handle it, but I doubt that.

I've just haven't seen anything to support any claims.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24278102

No. Pentium will not do 3D. You need AMD, or at least an i3 Intel. Other option would be a cheap video card like the RADEON 6570 on the Pentium.

Pentium will do easily 3D, if we are talking about 3D video. Not 3D games.

As a matter of fact AMD cards like Radeon 6570 and any other AMD discrete or "internal" card can't accelerate Full HD 3D Video because of the high resolution (3840 x 1080 for SBS or 1920 x 2160 for TAB)

So they are pretty useless for 3D files, unless you have a powerful CPU to do the 3D processing in software.

The only option for HW accelerated Full HD 3D files are Nvidia discrete cards or any Ivy/ Haswell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24278102

Sounds like you might want an AMD CPU unless you want to add an AMD GPU to the Pentium. You can basically buy an AMD chip with a superior GPU built in though, and it will do light gaming, light madvr and 3D better than any Intel CPU.

You need to add a discrete card to a Pentium G3420 only for MadVR or 3D gaming, pretty useless in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24281527

This is funny

It is well known that even Core 2 Duo processors above 2.66GHz can play every 10 bit 1080p H.264 out there without dropping frames.

With my Pentium G3420 I can play the most difficult 10bit H.264 files I have found, at about 100fps on average.

If you think you have an unplayable 10bit 1080p H.264/ MPEG-2 file by a Pentium G3420, you can post it here and I will give it a try.

I'm pretty sure that I can decode it in more than 3 times faster than realtime.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24284297

Pentium will do easily 3D, if we are talking about 3D video. Not 3D games.

That's great news. If you let me know how to play full resolution 3D blurays (frame-packed using HDMI1.4a) using a current generation Pentium I will be very grateful.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements/0_100#post_24284352

That's great news. If you let me know how to play full resolution 3D blurays (frame-packed using HDMI1.4a) using a current generation Pentium I will be very grateful.

I think he is just confused.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24284352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24284367

I think he is just confused.

I'm confused by your replies.

What exactly is the limitation of a Pentium, that Core i3 doesn't have ?

Why is a Core i3 capable of 3D, but Pentium isn't ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
The link you paste is from August 2013, before the release of 4th generation Pentiums.

Even in the release notes of latest Intel's drivers here http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23405/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_3345_64_2.pdf Intel says that my Pentium G3420 doesn't support OpenCL and Intel Clear Video HD, which both are obviously wrong, because I have OpenCL GPU v1.2 and QuickSync acceleration.

I'm pretty sure that they have forgotten to add 4th generation Pentium processors or they didn't include it on purpose (that's bad)

The HDMI output of Pentium G3420 is v1.4a capable of [email protected] fps.

Maybe I have to ask Intel for this, just to be sure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you find evidence that the Haswell generation Pentiums do indeed support Intel InTru 3D I would genuinely be very interested. For what it's worth my Sandybridge Pentium does support QuickSync & OpenCL, but does not support InTru 3D.

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24284632

If you find evidence that the Haswell generation Pentiums do indeed support Intel InTru 3D I would genuinely be very interested.

I'll post any official info here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24284632

For what it's worth my Sandybridge Pentium does support QuickSync & OpenCL, but does not support InTru 3D.

Your Sandy Pentium has QuickSync only for decoding and not encoding (like mine), but it doesn't support OpenCL in GPU.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would be very surprised in a negative way, if marketing/ sales departments of Intel, artificially cut Intel's drivers from installing 3D driver on Celerons/ Pentiums.

Because the HW is there, ready to fire BluRay 3D.

On the other hand you bought a card with 50$ that is not capable of playing FullHD 3D files or 4K files, due to high resolution, when for 50€ you can buy a Pentium G3420, which is a CPU, a GPU and the fastest Video processor in the same chip!

·
Registered
545 Posts
NikosD,

Once again you have stated an opinion that goes against the grain of what we know to be factual.

I would assume that for the benefit of this forum, you should either backup your claims with either evidence from first hand knowledge, or reference documentation that proves the point.

The OP asked if the Pentium can do 3D. There is no information, or claims by Intel that I can find stating that it can.

According to this Intel link, the Pentium cannot do 3D:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/77769,77777

·
Registered
169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24286695

NikosD,

Once again you have stated an opinion that goes against the grain of what we know to be factual.

True.

You have to admit though, that for the first one I was right and you were wrong - about HW acceleration of 4K H.264 in Kaveri and other AMD cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165  /t/1514654/pentium-g3420-poweful-enough-for-my-htpc-requirements#post_24286695

I would assume that for the benefit of this forum, you should either backup your claims with either evidence from first hand knowledge, or reference documentation that proves the point.

The OP asked if the Pentium can do 3D. There is no information, or claims by Intel that I can find stating that it can.

If I don't get an official answer from Intel I'm not sure of anything.

It looks like Intel cut off in driver that option - BluRay 3D - although the HW inside Pentiums/ Celerons is more than capable of doing it.

But, it seems to me that for the first case - of HW acceleration of 4K H.264 of AMD cards/ Kaveri - you haven't brought any first hand knowledge or reference documentation, to prove your claims.

And many people here, still believe that AMD can HW accelerate 4K H.264.

Unbelievable!

1 - 20 of 110 Posts