AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have asked me to look up a nice 40-42" tv for them ( no they cannot go bigger with the space allowed).

Narrowed it down to the 42" 77U or 700U. WTF is the main difference between these 2 and is the 700U worth the average $200 more?

I have seen them both in the store and can tell little difference. I have never been able to get my hands on the remotes to look at the menu differences if any ( and to get them out of eye burning torch mode )

Thank you

Goofoff

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Right now look down a few posts because there is a BIG Post all about the 77 vs 700.

But what it really comes down to is how much light is in the room. If the room is really bright then go for the 77 otherwise the 700 has more options on it like a bigger audio amp, better speakers, side by side picture, a computer input & etc. Again, Very Bright Room get the 77.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Before Omeletpants jumps in and tells you the 77U isn't even worth the gases in the phosphors....I'll just run down the differences for you.

700U- Anti-reflective screen coating...from what I've seen it's much like the "opticlear" coating on my NEC 20WMGX2 desktop lcd. In other words...it isn't as reflective as a flat sheet of glass but it still lets colors and contrast come through relatively unimpeded.

77U- Anti-glare screen coating which is similar to what you find on most desktop lcd monitors. It does a good job in really bright/reflective environments at the expense of muting the picture somewhat when compared to the 700U. (I have a 77U and it doesn't bother me...the benefits outweigh the negatives for my situation)

700U- better speakers, 15w per channel vs. 10w for the 77U. Still not as good as even a low end reciever/speakers but a good thing if you plan to use them. The 77U has speakers on the outer edges (wider bezel) and the 700U has them below the screen.

700U- VGA port for hooking up a pc/HTPC

77U- must use a DVI to HDMI cable for pc hookup

Other than than those differences...I understand that the 700U and 77U use the same 1080p, 100,000hr panel and the same video processing. (which means same remote/menus.) You'll have to decide for yourself which is better for your needs and if the screen coating, speakers and VGA port are worth the extra $200.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good run down, 700u it is then because there is little ambient light other than a ceiling fan which my father never turns on for one reason or another.

Thanks for all the input, love this forum

Goofoff

·
Registered
777 Posts
Great choice goofoff your parents wont be unhapy at all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea they just sit and watch tv now a days and this will be a big improvement over their old 27" nothing special sony CRT they have had for a couple years.

mine on the other hand will be hard to top :p

i have one of the old

Sony 30XS955 CRT with the super fine pitch, all calibrated. I love this tv, so i am picky as hell when it comes to electronics but i know its time for me to move up as well. I'm waiting a couple months till some of the CES models hit the stores.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts