AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched Shrek last night (what a good movie !) and happened to select the Special Features Menu which had the gingerbread man in the middle with all the "options" around him. Right then and there, the little guy's red lips were screaming RED CHROMA BUG ! No need to pause, no need to look hard, if you have it, it should be as clear as can be. For all the people looking for the Chroma bug here is the easiest, clearest way I have found.

Now the question is why this particular image managed to exacerbate this problem ?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Quote:
No need to pause
If you pause on a Sony, it goes away! :)

Which DVD player are you using?

There is an update in the works on the chroma bug and the fact that 4:2:0 was a STUPID idea! The fact they they are still using 4:2:0 for HD is even more brain dead.

You know why 4:2:0 was chosen of 4:2:2? In 95, when the choice, was made RAM was expensive.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears

Which DVD player are you using?
I'm using a Toshiba SD-2300.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
The fact they they are still using 4:2:0 for HD is even more brain dead.
Indeed! Both US Panasonic TU-DST50/51 HD tunner and Japanese BSD HD tunner has somewhat chroma bug effect. In motion scene, the Red is the first starts to break up!

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
785 Posts
Guys, I have a Pioneer DV-37, so I know I have the chroma bug, but what am I supposed to see around the lips. There is something that draws my eye to them -- it looks like there is a black outline around them. Is that what the chroma bug is? I've always hesitated to ask because I've read that once you know what to look for, you see it everywhere. I've held out as long as possible. So now tell me--what is it I'm supposed to see?

And Stacey, I have to compliment you on your name. I got an email once, and this person was thanking me for all the hard work I do, and all the testing, and the helpful posts. I was a little confused, until I read something from you. Sorry to (unintentionally) steal your praise.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Oh no ........... chroma but in DT STB's too!!

Does anyone know if the DISH 6000 STB has it??

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I've found that the best for showing the red chroma bug is The Phantom Manace where they are inside the Nubian cruiser (and discussing where to take the Queen) and the lighting by Obi Wan is all very red. It show very bad there. Luckily with my new RP91 I don't have to see it anymore but with my other DVD players it was very noticable!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I watched Shrek last night to see if I could see the aforementioned chroma bug in the special features. I have a Toshiba 2150 DVD player. I was pleasantly surprised NOT to see any hint of a chroma bug on my Loewe Aconda 16:9 HDTV. I guess I am one of the fortunate people to have a TV which hides the chroma bug.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelJW
I watched Shrek last night to see if I could see the aforementioned chroma bug in the special features. I have a Toshiba 2150 DVD player. I was pleasantly surprised NOT to see any hint of a chroma bug on my Loewe Aconda 16:9 HDTV. I guess I am one of the fortunate people to have a TV which hides the chroma bug.
I think it may be the Toshiba player. I know that people keep saying that Toshiba players have the chroma bug. But I keep trying out test scene whenever they are mentioned, and I just can't see it. I have a Toshiba SD9200 and I have never seen any hint of the chroma bug.

Mike

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
What's your display subsystem.

For me, chroma flaw was invisible on a 27" TV, barely visible on a 55" HDTV set, and very bad on an 84" FTPV setup.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches
What's your display subsystem.

For me, chroma flaw was invisible on a 27" TV, barely visible on a 55" HDTV set, and very bad on an 84" FTPV setup.

Regards,
That could be it. I have a Toshiba TW40X81, a 40" RPTV which is connected with both S-Video and component cables, but most DVD watching is done using the component cabling.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.