AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody more computer apt than me can post the Perfect Vision review of the Ruby. The quality of the review on a scale to 1 to 10, with the WSR review being a 10, is a 1. The reviewer thought the Ruby was the product of the year, but IMNSHO his review was the worst quality review this year of any projector review I have read. He mumbled about having to have the projector screen center vertically to avoid keystoning (I guess he never found he vertical lens shift), that the projector had excessive white crush which I suspect resulted from him using his DVD player set to 0 to 255 output rather than setting it to 16 to 235 or other causes, and a reddish grayscale cured by calibration but he said if you didn't mind that, don't get it calibrated. I think he acknowledged that gray scale issues would vary from machine to machine. IMNSHO, this review is not worth the time it takes to read it. Pretty much useless info.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I read the review some weeks ago, but didn't really notice any major faults in it - probably because I had already decided to buy a Ruby, and was simply ecstatic to read the praise. Now that I got my Ruby, I have to say that you make valid points, Mark. White crush? No sign of that at all, quite the opposite in fact. If anything, it's the blacks that are crushed. Granted, I only got the pj ceiling installed a few hours ago and haven't done any (and I mean *any*) adjustments or attempts at calibration yet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
The Perfect Vision sucks anyway.
I agree. It used to be good years ago, but now the reviews are pretty much garbage and uninformative. When they recommended the HD Leeza over the Lumagen HDP, that was the last straw for me.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Did Greg not describe some type of white crush in his WSR?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS
Greg described "brightness compression" which I suppose could be considered to be a form of white crush.

I know I'll be talking Greg's ear off the whole time I'm at CES ;)

Best,

·
Registered
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby
The Perfect Vision sucks anyway. Man, do I miss the old Stereophile Guide to Home Theater.
FWIW, The SGHT guys are up and reviewing on the UltimateAV web site. There is a review of the Ruby there.

MiD

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS
He spent about 2000 words describing brightness compression in the Auto Iris mode. I suspect that is what you mean by "white crush". However, some people mean white level clipping when they say "white crush". Hence, that is a good reason not to use a term like "white crush" that means different things to different people. The Ruby will not have any white level clipping IF it is correctly calibrated. It will have some brightness compression in the Auto Iris mode (because it is fundamental to the way an Auto Iris works), but not in other iris modes.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I must agree that TPV is going downhill fast. The reviews are way too short and far too superficial. Worst of all is that they often miss some really critial points. An issue or so back there was a review of a B&K AVR which completely neglected to mention that the unit did not have any kind of HDMI input/switching - pretty critical as we move into the HD-DVD era.

Oy!

Simon

·
Registered
335 Posts
TPV in theissue I received today gave it the "Product of the Year" award which seems at some variance with the review you all read. I guess they had second thoughts.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No one here said the the Perfect Vision reviewer didn't like it. We said the quality of the REVIEW was awful. The reviewer mentioned in his review that he was voting for it as Product of the Year. It is just that compared to the WSR and others, the Perfect Vision review is amateurish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.