AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this at *************** last week since it involves my Mitsubishi TV. Although it could go under programming, I think the problem really pertains to the hardware. Clearly, many readers of this forum watch hockey, since several people have posted here about HD hockey. I am hoping someone can shed some light on this subject and maybe even has a fix:

I have a Mitsubishi 46805 TV purchased in Feb, 2000, which has performed extremely well (minimal geometry issues which people in this forum have helped me correct). In November, 2000, I added the RCA DTC-100. A few days later I got the latest software update, and the picture has been great. I am using RCA's transcoder to connect to the TV and have the timing set to that option. Now for the problem.

I am a hockey fanatic and subscribe to NHL Center Ice on DirecTV. If I watch these games through an s-video input with HD off, I get the usual picture I have seen before. Here is what happens, though, if I watch hockey through the HD input with HD on. If the broadcast is one of the Fox Sports channels (and unfortunately a lot of them are), I get a very strange little black rectangle at the right edge of the image about 1/3 of the way up the screen. It appears only when the Fox Logo with the score and time are shown on the top left of the screen. It disappears when this logo is removed during stoppages of play, and re-appears when the logo is put back on. It usually starts as a small square, and it becomes rectangular 5 to 20 seconds later. On the screen it measures about 1/2 by 1 inch. If the picture is stretched to fill the 16x9 screen, the rectangle stretches to about 1 1/2 inches. If I stretch the picture again to get the correct AR cutting off some of the top and bottom, the rectangle goes back to its original size and moves with the picture to the bottom of the screen. There is no way I can get rid of it while watching in the HD mode. This only happens with Fox Sports stations. I can't swear it's happened with every one, but I think it has. It never happens with any other sports station. I don't believe I've ever seen this rectangle if the Fox logo is not being displayed on the screen. The way it moves as I adjust the AR shows that it is clearly attached the transmitted signal in some way as it is always in the same relative place.

I know this sounds crazy, and in every other respect the DTC-100 TV combo works fine. Is there anyone out there who has seen this or a similar problem? Has it occurred with other Fox Sports transmissions? I am not a basketball fan so I don't subscribe to the NBA package, and I don't know if it happens with NBA broadcasts. I don't have a local Fox Sports station to watch to see if it occurs at other times. I assume it has something to do with the DTC upconverting the signal, but I can't imagine how it would do this.

This is actually a minor annoyance that I can completely avoid by going back to watching hockey via s-video, but I wonder if anyone knows anything about this.

SMK

·
Registered
209 Posts
is this perhaps XDS (similar to closed captioning)?

Check your TV setting, and make sure XDS is set OFF.

dinesh

------------------

DVI/HDCP sucks. DFAST sucks. Boycott JVC.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my TV's closed captioning set to go on when the mute button is pressed. I will turn it off completely. I believe there is also a setting for closed captioning with the DTC and will look into that.

Thank you.

SMK

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also see this black box located along the right edge of Colorado Avalanche broadcasts on Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain when using my Dish 6000 in HD mode. I suspect that this is something that Fox Sports is embedding into the signal, probably through their scoreboard/graphics overlay. I also suspect that in standard definition modes, the overscan of our equipment hides this black box from us.

Zephyr

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for writing, Zephyr. At least now I know I'm not totally crazy. The fact that it shows up on DISH means it has to be something in the signal from FOX and not from DirecTV or my DTC-100. Why doesn't that surprise me? I don't believe that the box disappears in SD mode due to overscan issues. I think it has something to do with the HD processing that makes it appear on HD.

Now I just wish I knew how to get rid of it since I have grown to like watching SD materials in HD even if the picture is a little "soft."

SMK

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last night I tried watching with the closed captioning and XDS set on and off and to different options. It made no difference. Anyone else have any thoughts?

SMK

·
Registered
469 Posts
Roy,

I always see that same black spec on my DTC 100 while viewing fox sports detroit Red Wing broadcasts. Like you stated, it only shows up on the HD output, and it only shows up while the fox scoreboard is on screen. When I would watch the same feed from my other directv receiver, the dot would not show up. I now have a DST 3000, watching through the HD out the dot does not appear. Very strange, but I feel better reading your post and knowing it was not just my set or receiver. I bet if they would just show the games in HD we would not have the problem!!!!

GO WINGS

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peter:

Thanks for responding. It is interesting to hear that it doesn't happen with the DST because, from Zephyr's post, it does seem to happen with DISH.

Anyway, too bad I'm a Ranger fan. What's really upsetting is that if I lived in New York I could get the Rangers in HD from MSG. Oh, well. Good luck in the playoffs.

SMK

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I've got the Proscan PSHD-105 (DTC-100 sister) but, I don't have a transcoder so I can't comment on if the black box appears on my setup. But, I can say that I have not seen the black box on the center-ice broadcasts with my Sony SAT-HD100 when viewing the vairable mode HD output. I will double check output modes next time I see a fox broadcast. (Only a CBC game on now)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Roy,

After further thinking about my post, I bet the spot is there, but I have the picture in full mode, and the picture is actually oversized vs. the DTC100 so I am not really seeing the very far right side of the picture, which is right where the spec would be. Red has the mits, probably has the same oversized picture problem I have, which would also eliminate him from seeing the spec.

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I may be guilty of oversimplifying, but it seems obvious to me that if the splotch only occurs on FOX Sports, it's related to FOX transmisssion issues, not your own equipment. There's nothing you can do about it short of changing the aspect ratio or stretching the overscan to compensate - not something that's really recommended. Complain to FOX en masse, heft a brew, and enjoy the game.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ray,

I agree with you that it is at Fox Sports end, but why would it only show up on the HD output, not the S-Video out? Or on the DTC 100, a standard DSS receiver?

------------------

Peter L.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.