AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha HTR-5890 receiver. It is hooked up to a 5.1 surround system.

I recently discovered that the right channel for front and surround is at a much lower volume than the volume of the left channels.

in other words:

Front Left zone A, Front Left zone B, and Surround Left all have good sound.

Front Right zone A, Front Right zone B, and Surround Right all have low sound.

My front and surround speakers are all identical.

my troubleshooting measures so far:

- confirmed it's not a speaker issue by swapping around the speakers, they each work on a Right channel, but volume is poor on the left regardless of which speaker they are connected to.

- confirmed it's not a cable issue by swapping the left/right cables.

I have had the receiver and speakers for almost 5 years now.

Here is the back of my receiver for reference:

h t t p : \\ \\ data.yamaha.jp/sdb/local/products/images/12819/12075/12819_12075_1.jpg

any ideas? it seems to be a problem with the receiver. in researching, i've read about bad "volume pots"? not sure if that applies to my receiver.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Volume on AVRs is usually electronically done with a special chip.

Could be an issue either in the digital analog conversion section for a few channels, or something is wrong in the amp section.

I assume you tried the test tones?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, i ran the test tones. Right-channel are strong and vibrant, left channels are very noticeably weak compared to the right.

if it is a problem with the receiver, is there anything further i can do to confirm? would there be any point in taking the cover off, if there would be anything a visual inspection could see? unfortunately it's looking to me like there's not much i can do other than buy a replacement.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I did not consider the balance control. You should defintely look for that setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did check for that, the On Screen Display menu allows for "Speaker Level" adjustment, but the Fronts are linked, no individual adjustment.

HOWEVER, in attempting to understand the manual (wtf Yamaha), it seems to say that there IS an individual speaker adjustment via the Front Panel Display (but not through the OSD, wtf Yamaha again), so i'll give that a try this evening. Thanks for prompting me to investigate that further.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts