AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
Do new airings of HBO linear content become available on demand on HBO Max at the same time? I have not done much real-time or near real-time viewing of HBO content in the past and was just wondering.
In fact they appear at East Coast Time.

So those of us on the West Coast are able to watch at 6 PM instead of 9 PM.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was going to watch this tonight but didn't see in on Amazon a little after 9pm EDT. So I tried watching it live but if that is the streaming picture quality then I wouldn't be interested. Its been awhile since I watched anything live on HBO. I dropped premium Cable channels because to me the picture quality was crap on a front projector, on every cable system I tried. I subscribed to HBO with Amazon and GOT was so much clearer/better it was embarrassing. Which for me every cable show on Amazon is much better quality. I've heard it was because it wasn't live so Amazon could improve the quality.

Regardless, I wasn't impressed at all with the streaming picture. It reminded me of compressed cable which surprised me. I know at times shows like Perry Mason lots of compressed signal don't handle it well. Its somewhat grainy, dark and muted at times and that drives screwed up compression crazy. So it just didn't have full look to it, noise around collars and faces sometimes, shaking in background. I wouldn't pay for that. Amazon had it a little later on demand an yeah, much better.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
Kept me watching.

Still interested to see how it will play out, whether this guy will evolve into the legal genius of the TV show.

It's set in 1931 and the character looks to be well into his 30s. He may become the distinguished barrister but the character would be approaching 60?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
First episode seemed pretty good to me ... maybe because I have no clue what the original Perry Mason was like (before my time) besides the fact he eventually turns into a lawyer and looks like Raymond Burr. I'm not sure how fans of the original show will react .... it's certainly not a generic lawyer type of show...

I might question why they didn't base it on Phillip Marlowe if they wanted grittiness in a 1930s setting, but going in with a blank slate the show seems decent enough.

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
Kept me watching.

Still interested to see how it will play out, whether this guy will evolve into the legal genius of the TV show.

It's set in 1931 and the character looks to be well into his 30s. He may become the distinguished barrister but the character would be approaching 60?
I guess they'll have to take a 3 or 4 year "break" in the continuity of the show while he goes to law school. :rolleyes:

OTOH, maybe they're trying to set up a scenario next season (or the next) where he's just so smart he'll be able to read a few law books & pass the bar withOUT going to law school. I dunno. Could you become a lawyer back then without a law degree? You can't now.

I really hate that they're stomping all over the Perry Mason cannon to do this show. Smacks of pandering to a well-known intellectual property just to bring in eyeballs. And there was really no reason for it. There's no reason HBO couldn't have created their own gritty hard-boiled period private eye drama or taken any of the 1,001 gritty, hard-boiled literary private eyes like Philip Marlowe as Doe Doe suggests.

All that said, I enjoyed it for what it was. Matthew Rhys is predictably great. Even after watching the entire run of 'The Americans', which I consider one of the half-dozen greatest series of the last couple of decades, I had no idea he was a Brit of some sort until I heard one of the interview segments. :eek:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I was going to watch this tonight but didn't see in on Amazon a little after 9pm EDT. So I tried watching it live but if that is the streaming picture quality then I wouldn't be interested. Its been awhile since I watched anything live on HBO. I dropped premium Cable channels because to me the picture quality was crap on a front projector, on every cable system I tried. I subscribed to HBO with Amazon and GOT was so much clearer/better it was embarrassing. Which for me every cable show on Amazon is much better quality. I've heard it was because it wasn't live so Amazon could improve the quality.

Regardless, I wasn't impressed at all with the streaming picture. It reminded me of compressed cable which surprised me. I know at times shows like Perry Mason lots of compressed signal don't handle it well. Its somewhat grainy, dark and muted at times and that drives screwed up compression crazy. So it just didn't have full look to it, noise around collars and faces sometimes, shaking in background. I wouldn't pay for that. Amazon had it a little later on demand an yeah, much better.
What did you watch it on? I used the HBO Max app on a Fire TV 4K Stick and the picture quality and audio were very impressive for a 1080p stream. There have been a number of reports that document they have just about doubled the bitrate of streaming content on HBO Max from the previous HBO GO and HBO NOW apps. I can see the difference. Many who used HBO through the Amazon Prime Channels for the best quality now say the the HBO Max app is of the same quality. I have no idea what the quality is like from a cable set top box if you are watching it live as a HBO linear channel. That may be a compromised live signal. But, the HBO Max standalone app just a few minutes after the live airing began was a very acceptable quality.

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
I watched it on the linear HBO flagship channel on DTV and it looked very good. Don't know how it could have looked much better via streaming. I did not notice any difference between satellite & streaming with 'Westworld'. And we have ATT&T fiber broadband to the house, so there's plenty of bandwidth.

I currently have HBO Go but have not downloaded the HBO Max app yet. I presume the PQ is identical with both.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Reactions: archiguy

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
On the use of the Perry Mason name, maybe it is an attempt to draw in audiences with a familiar character.

True Detective did well in the first season but then each season it had to reboot with new characters and I don't think the ratings have done as well. Of course the later seasons couldn't get the same buzz.

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
Watched this last night. While it didn’t blow me away, was interesting enough to keep me around a bit.

Reactions: WilliamR

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I really hate that they're stomping all over the Perry Mason cannon to do this show. Smacks of pandering to a well-known intellectual property just to bring in eyeballs. And there was really no reason for it. There's no reason HBO couldn't have created their own gritty hard-boiled period private eye drama or taken any of the 1,001 gritty, hard-boiled literary private eyes like Philip Marlowe as Doe Doe suggests.

The odd thing to me is, does Perry Mason even have that many fans? Maybe there are zillions of Perry Mason fans out there, clamoring for a new show... don't know... just that it seems like an odd choice. Although a well-known intellectual property, I wouldn't think it's a high-demand sort of property. I would have preferred a Chandler or Ellroy based series myself ... there grittiness works a lot better.

Maybe the creators were just huge fans of the books, I suppose. For those who have read the books, did the books give Mason a darker edge? But even still, I expect...

Dead babies, hollywood stars caught in the sex act, and so on probably wasn't a part of the books... nor did he go clothes shopping at the morgue.

But it does feel like a bit of pandering, just weird pandering. Almost like if HBO decided to reboot the Hardy Boys as a gritty 1930-40s crime solving duo. Yeah, people will recognize the name, just that it doesn't really fit the 'grittiness' theme so well.

As I stated, I thought the first episode was pretty decent ... seems well made, good cast, and so on. It might be one of those shows where not knowing a thing about the original or having any bias may be a benefit.

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Perry Mason surprises with HBO's biggest ratings debut in years

Mason was watched by a total of 1.7 million viewers across all platforms — that's more than the comic drama Watchmen (1.5 million) or the Stephen King adaptation The Outsider (1.2 million)...with somewhat mixed-to-positive reviews and a more traditional feel than many of HBO's more edgy fare, the drama didn't seem like the likeliest series to pop out of the gate...in fact, HBO was for awhile calling Perry Mason a limited series and then last month decided to call it a drama once again, opening the door to a renewal

if the show continues close to this level in the ratings, a pickup is all but assured...

https://ew.com/tv/perry-mason-hbo-ratings/

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Going to be hard to argue with the HBO Max executives now. Whether it was the use of the name or not, they will take the credit.

‘Perry Mason’ Draws Largest Premiere Night Multi-Platform Viewership For HBO Series In Almost 2 Years
https://deadline.com/2020/06/perry-mason-premiere-ratings-hbo-largest-premiere-night-multi-platform-viewership-2-years-1202966612/

And this is before Tatiana Maslany says a word on screen. Saw Robert Downey Jr. listed as an Executive Producer at the end of the article. I had forgotten that at one point he wanted this to be his post Iron Man project in the title role.

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Going to be hard to argue with the HBO Max executives now. Whether it was the use of the name or not, they will take the credit
they used the Perry Mason name to draw in the older viewers of the books and Raymond Burr series while also using the HBO brand name of quality gritty dramas to draw in the younger demo

HBO has also been in a bit of a lull since S3 of Westworld ended in April so people were starving for a new HBO drama...

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
And this is before Tatiana Maslany says a word on screen. Saw Robert Downey Jr. listed as an Executive Producer at the end of the article. I had forgotten that at one point he wanted this to be his post Iron Man project in the title role.
I wonder why he stepped away? Anybody know the scoop?

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
RDJ has the theaterical Sherlock Holmes. He’s fine being just the producer on this.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
they used the Perry Mason name to draw in the older viewers of the books and Raymond Burr series while also using the HBO brand name of quality gritty dramas to draw in the younger demo

HBO has also been in a bit of a lull since S3 of Westworld ended in April so people were starving for a new HBO drama...
I guess the Episode 2 numbers will be revealing. If older viewers thought they would find a bit of nostalgia and tuned in that is not what they got. I enjoyed it. But, I could see this turning off a lot of viewers if they were expecting something similar to the 1950's/60's show.

Reactions: SoundChex

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
61 - 80 of 198 Posts