AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
What did you watch it on? I used the HBO Max app on a Fire TV 4K Stick and the picture quality and audio were very impressive for a 1080p stream. There have been a number of reports that document they have just about doubled the bitrate of streaming content on HBO Max from the previous HBO GO and HBO NOW apps. I can see the difference. Many who used HBO through the Amazon Prime Channels for the best quality now say the the HBO Max app is of the same quality. I have no idea what the quality is like from a cable set top box if you are watching it live as a HBO linear channel. That may be a compromised live signal. But, the HBO Max standalone app just a few minutes after the live airing began was a very acceptable quality.
I was watching it on Amazon which also has live with HBO. I've tried it before but don't remember about the quality being way down, but I rarely ever watch anything much live on HBO. I guess it could have just been some type of problem going on. I use an Apple TV 4k box. Amazon & AT&T has that thing going on so I cannot get the Max app. I wouldn't want it anyway unless its truly equal in picture quality. I've never seen any cable system equal to what you can buy on Amazon with cable programming, that's any where near their quality. Certainly not Direct TV either which I've had forever. I'm not saying the picture is terrible on those systems, but I've seen some cable HD that was bad after enlarged on a projector. Especially dark scenes. I didn't need to do an A/B comparison really but I've done it many times anyway. Mr. Robot was in a class by itself though, the difference between the two.

So, I was just curious about it since really didn't care for the quality of the Perry Mason picture live. I'll try it again later and maybe watch it on HBO Now before they take it away, just to see how it looks.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
So, I was just curious about it since really didn't care for the quality of the Perry Mason picture live. I'll try it again later and maybe watch it on HBO Now before they take it away, just to see how it looks.
I think it has to do with how the series was shot...it has that film noir look to it...you're not going to get the crisp detail like you do with something like Westworld or Watchmen

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Guess source material is not an issue!
Not for this version. As I ranted ad nauseum earlier, this HBO's Mason is being invented from whole cloth, aside from the names of some of the characters.

It's worth noting that, while ESG was very closely involved in the TV series (which ultimately adapted nearly all of his Mason stories) and approved of Burr's version of the character, his ongoing books did not acknowledge anything that happened on TV.

Perry Mason has been widely dubbed an "empty suit," especially recently in discussions of the new series. That refers to the complete lack of any backstory in the books or TV show, and a similar lack of any real continuity or serialization. This of course made him the perfect TV character for the 1950s and the birth of episodic TV.

So the character really is a blank slate, which HBO is making liberal use of.

I always have issues with the appropriation of a creator's work without permission. ESG is dead, and can't agree to this. I'm very aware that in the real world this is IP that can be bought, sold, and licensed by an estate and an author's executors. I just don't think it's right.

I'm still steaming over the recent butchery of Spenser on Netflix. Now this.

Unlike the Spenser travesty, this might actually be good. That's no excuse for essentially dismissing the creator of the characters and throwing away everything he was trying to do.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I wrote this in the HBO MAX thread as well, but tonight’s episode looks significantly better on DirecTV HBO than it does on HBO MAX (on ATV4K device).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I wrote this in the HBO MAX thread as well, but tonight’s episode looks significantly better on DirecTV HBO than it does on HBO MAX (on ATV4K device).
I only have HBO Max and I thought both episode 1 and 2 looked excellent for a 1080p stream. Viewing on a Fire TV 4K Stick and a 55" 4K HDR/DV TV. I don't have another source to compare with, but I don't see how a 1080p stream could look much better. I guess a lot of factors go into individual results.

Really good follow up episode to the pilot. Good to see Tatiana Maslany 'bringing it' to another role.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I only have HBO Max and I thought both episode 1 and 2 looked excellent for a 1080p stream. Viewing on a Fire TV 4K Stick and a 55" 4K HDR/DV TV. I don't have another source to compare with, but I don't see how a 1080p stream could look much better. I guess a lot of factors go into individual results.

Really good follow up episode to the pilot. Good to see Tatiana Maslany 'bringing it' to another role.

Well my DirecTV feed did look great. The HBO MAX feed less so for me. Enjoying the show so far though.

p.s. I have the HBO GO app on my FireTV Cube (4K). And it looked worse there than it did on HBO Max on my ATV 4K.

So the PQ for me tonight, DirecTV > HBO MAX (ATV4K) > HBO GO (FireTV Cube)

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Not a bad episode. Keeping my interest. And looked pretty good on the HBO Max app.

Reactions: blade005

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have the HBO GO app on my FireTV Cube (4K). And it looked worse there than it did on HBO Max on my ATV 4K.
That makes sense. There have been a number of articles that have looked at the bitrates of HBO GO and HBO NOW apps versus the HBO Max app. Most have reported that the bitrate on HBO Max is almost double what it was with HBO GO and HBO NOW, resulting in a much better presentation of the content.

·
Registered
26,853 Posts
Who is your broadband provider? Might be a bandwidth issue. Most people seem to think HBO Max is a significant PQ upgrade over the linear satellite feed.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
Who is your broadband provider? Might be a bandwidth issue. Most people seem to think HBO Max is a significant PQ upgrade over the linear satellite feed.
I have Gigabit internet. No issues there.

Honestly in general HBO Max looks good. This show did not look as good last night though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Chapter 2 is providing some backstory for the character with the WW1 flashbacks.
I don't especially like what he has done but the situation was extreme.

Mason is always snapping pictures with his camera but we never see him wind the film to the next frame!

·
Registered
26,853 Posts
Chapter 2 is providing some backstory for the character with the WW1 flashbacks.
I don't especially like what he has done but the situation was extreme.

Mason is always snapping pictures with his camera but we never see him wind the film to the next frame!
They've shown him rewinding a few times, but not always. His camera is also pretty silent. ;) I was thinking that most of his fees must go toward buying film and processing chemicals & printing paper. :p

·
Registered
26,487 Posts
Interesting that both this show and Penny Dreadful are set in 1930s Los Angeles and have nearly identical characters in Sister Alice and Sister Molly. I assume they're based on a real person, but I guess I don't know my history well enough.

Reactions: Don S

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Interesting that both this show and Penny Dreadful are set in 1930s Los Angeles and have nearly identical characters in Sister Alice and Sister Molly. I assume they're based on a real person, but I guess I don't know my history well enough.
And that Mega Churches were a thing even way back then....

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts

I know! Was thinking this exact thought yesterday.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
And that Mega Churches were a thing even way back then....
My interest in this layer of American history -- so relevant once again today -- was originally sparked by the 1960 Burt Lancaster film Elmer Gantry (I was about 11 when I saw it, and much of it went over my head). That led me to Sinclair Lewis's source novel (very different from the movie), and the whole phenomenon of faith-healing, revivalism, and radio evangelism that led to much to today's media-focused fundamentalism. It's fascinating history, and it's no wonder that current writers have found renewed inspiration in it.

This kind of religion is a cornerstone of American culture, and not all of it is spiritual in nature, even for believers. And there's a complex but traceable network of social connection between radio/TV evangelism, the Prosperity Gospel, and Trumpism (which relies on a coalition of sects that in ordinary times would not be allies) that helps fuel out cuurent politics.

It's easier (and probably safer) to write about this stuff as history than as current events.

·
Premium Member
8,941 Posts
81 - 100 of 166 Posts