AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm not quite sure if this is in the correct forum, so please feel free to relocate this if it isn't.

I would like to be able to broadcast audio/video output from my PC to the TVs in the house. I'd like to do it in 1080i, with 5.1 audio output. However, I currently live in an apartment where I cannot fish new wiring. This eliminates things like network media serving since my wireless network cannot support enough data throughput for multiple TVs.

Are there personal ATSC transmitters on the market, similar to the FM transmitters that are audio only? The range doesn't need to be far at all, possibly 25 feet or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your Google-fu is better than mine.

Can anyone find one which transmits ATSC specifically? I'd rather not have to shell out for receivers when the TVs already have the ATSC tuners built-in.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
ATSC is not an RF modulation tranmission standard.

OTA digital TV is broadcast using MPEG2 encoding in accordance with ATSC standards asnd is broadcast using 8VSB RF modulation. Most cable digitasl content is also encoded in accordance with the the ATSC standards.

I am not aware of any home use transmiters for 8VSB modulated digital video that would enable any TV in a home to receive the content with an OTA 8vsb digital tuner (which is often mistankenly called an ATSC tuner).

Is it if your intention to send different HD programs to different TV all of which have digital tuners from your PC or to send a single program to the other TVs concurently?

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
You won't be able to transmit 8VSB privately. The FCC would frown upon that I'm sure.

Shell out for an electrician and run cables/wiring from your antenna to the TV's to suit your needs.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17033141

You won't be able to transmit 8VSB privately. The FCC would frown upon that I'm sure.

It seems that the product is both legal and illegal.

"The Air HD (BV-2500) will automatically adjust its frequency between 4.9~5.9 GHz."

There are unlicensed frequency bands at 5.3 and 5.8 Ghz. 4.9 GHZ is reserved for public service, but unlicensed. Weather radar uses 5.5 GHz.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
There is a product that will modulate an ATSC signal which is currently being used for tests of amateur DTV, but using one of these on the TV band is illegal. Plus, it's a lot more expensive than those products to which you've already been linked.

- Trip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17033070

Is it if your intention to send different HD programs to different TV all of which have digital tuners from your PC or to send a single program to the other TVs concurently?

A single program to all of the TVs concurrently

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:

I was under the impression that low-power broadcasting on them would be OK? That seems to be the case with FM, at least, since you can get personal FM transmitters that use licensed frequencies for personal audio devices.

Quote:

Shell out for an electrician and run cables/wiring from your antenna to the TV's to suit your needs.

If it were allowed I would run the cabling myself, but, it's not.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
There's a rule allowing extremely low-powered FM transmitters. No such rule exists for TV.

- Trip

·
Registered
22,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy /forum/post/17033378

It seems that the product is both legal and illegal.

"The Air HD (BV-2500) will automatically adjust its frequency between 4.9~5.9 GHz."

There are unlicensed frequency bands at 5.3 and 5.8 Ghz. 4.9 GHZ is reserved for public service, but unlicensed. Weather radar uses 5.5 GHz.

With a broadcast distance of 20 meters... I don't think it will disrupt your neighbor's weather radar too badly.

This device is no different than some portable phones.

That's a lot different than remodulating and rebroadcasting a signal within the 50-800MHz range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/17034023

There's a rule allowing extremely low-powered FM transmitters. No such rule exists for TV.

- Trip

Ah, I wasn't aware that the FM exception was specific. I had assumed it was a blanket low-power exemption.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll just have to wait to do this until I move into my house in a couple months and I can run wires to wherever I want!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since the original poster asked specifically about ATSC... SR Systems in Germany sells an MPEG encoder / 8VSB modulator combination capable of generating about 10 milliwatts of power for about 1000 euros. It's intended for use by Amateur Radio operators - who mostly use DVB-S instead of ATSC anyway. I bought a pair of these and am working on an Amateur ATSC repeater here in the bay area.

But the idea of using these to move TV around your house is pretty much a non-starter. Your best bet is (vaporware, so far as I know) wireless HDMI gear.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
What about using those 8vsb modulators going through RG6 coax ?

·
Registered
14,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsayer /forum/post/17041308

Since the original poster asked specifically about ATSC... SR Systems in Germany sells an MPEG encoder / 8VSB modulator combination capable of generating about 10 milliwatts of power for about 1000 euros. It's intended for use by Amateur Radio operators - who mostly use DVB-S instead of ATSC anyway. I bought a pair of these and am working on an Amateur ATSC repeater here in the bay area.

But the idea of using these to move TV around your house is pretty much a non-starter. Your best bet is (vaporware, so far as I know) wireless HDMI gear.

But does the SR Systems do MPEG2 audio or AC3? I thought the big debate in CA ATV circles was the fact that this type gear didn't do AC3 and therefore CECBs were useless since unlike the more expensive STBs, the CECB's didn't have MPEG2 decoders in them and the ATSC ATV activity would start at 1296 using the L-Band segment of DVB-S receivers and not use 432?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts