Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys:

I have a home theater system complementing my Infocus 4805 in a small fireplace-room. The system, the Onkyo 8230 (same as the 570), came with a 8' sub. I will be keeping the sub for a while until I can upgrade to a nice one.

In the meanwhile I am considering setting up shakers under the couch to improve the bass and, mainly, because I don't want to disturb my neighbors (I live in a townhouse) by having the bass' volume too high; besides I just need a little more of kick for movies but not a lot.

I found these in part express. My ignorant questions are: can they be installed with the same aura-shaker technique? Do you think they are good or good enough? overall, are they what I need to get that kick?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-010

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Why would he bother his neighbors more? Shakers with isolators are by far the best way to feel low tones in an apartment setting.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Those are really small. It says that they were developed for a backpack gaming system, something you mount to your body, not your sofa. They are 2lbs, 15watts at 16ohms. Compare the Aura Bass Shakers, they are 6lbs and 25watts at 4 ohms. Big differance. I have no experance, but based on specs and what I've read, and since no one else responded, I would recommend that you get the Aura. There only $15 more.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Shakers definately will give the bass effect without the volume. When my wife is working and I have to tone it down, up goes the shaker level and down with the volume level. She can't hear any shaking effects in the next room, but she can hear 100 db of high bass scenes. Since it is a townhouse and your neigbors are not directly below you the shakers won't bother them at all.

Those shakers don't look as thick as the Aura ones from the picture. Hard to tell how well made they are, but I can attest that the Aura shakers are pretty well built and weigh quite a lot for such a small unit. My gut feeling is go with the Auras for a couple bucks more a pair, they look better built.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
MadPoet,

I did not realize that he did not have neighbors beneath him. I read recently in another thread about apartment living and shakers and sub spikes or GRAMMAs that a poster had a problem with his downstairs neighbor being more annoyed at the shakers.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Really? Whether people are beneath him or not, properly mounted shakers should be FAR less intrusive than a sub. If you use isolators all of the energy transfer should be into the furniture.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Shakers will definitely make a difference, see the massive sticky for more information than you will ever need. The personal versions, however, at PE are from those Aura Gaming Vests or similar that failed to take off a few years ago, I'm betting because strapping a small buzzer to your back and chest is not nearly as effective (or comfortable) as mounting a larger one to your floor, riser or furniture. I would get the regular Aura Shakers, also available at PE for peanuts, and isolate your furniture or riser with rubber pads/feet.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yes, they have isolation feet there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys:

Thanks everybody for your comments.

I think I will go with the A. Shakers then (I already have the old receiver, so no problem with that)

Thanks a lot again!!! :D

Jano

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.