AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying the Arcam FMJ P7 but am a little concerned that it won't have enough juice to properly drive my B&W 803s and HTM3S (I will be passively biamping the front L/R channels). I'll be upgrading from my current Outlaw 7x100W amp., and having more power is one reason I'm upgrading. I'm going to have a home demo prior to making purchasing decision but wanted to know if anyone has personal experience with this amp and what their opinions might be.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfinley001
I'm considering buying the Arcam FMJ P7 but am a little concerned that it won't have enough juice to properly drive my B&W 803s and HTM3S (I will be passively biamping the front L/R channels). I'll be upgrading from my current Outlaw 7x100W amp., and having more power is one reason I'm upgrading. I'm going to have a home demo prior to making purchasing decision but wanted to know if anyone has personal experience with this amp and what their opinions might be.
I demoed the P7 in conjunction with the new AVP700. I have B&W N803's, NHTM1 & N805's. The P7 is a nice amplifier. It will produce a full and dynamic soundstage, but I think that it is grossly overpriced for what it is. No doubt in my mind that you can obtain more power and more current from other manufacturer's amps for the same price or less. Are you getting one used, or are you committed to mating the P7 with other Arcam equipment??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be buying new. I'm planning to upgrade my processor around the end of the year, probably to the AVP700, but I'm not dead set on having a matching amp/processor pair. I know I can certainly get more watts for less money, but my primary concern is sound quality (especially for music) and I don't think all watts are created equal (otherwise I'd probably just buy a set of Outlaw 200W monoblocks). The other option I'm seriously considering is the Cary Cinema 5, but I'm not sure I'd have the option to demo it in-home before I made a purchasing decision.

What amp did you end up getting, and what did you think of the AVP700?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I really thought that the AVP 700 was the first pre-pro that gave me great 2 channel and surround sound in one unit. That is why I ordered one. It is due for delivery on Wednesday. I was originally set on purchasing a separate 2 channel preamp and a ht receiver for dolby digital/dts, but the Arcam unit changed my mind.

I have an Aragon 8008ST 2 channel amp (sold my Rotel 1075) and I have not yet made a final decision on which new amp to go with. I would like a Krell, but don't desire to spend the $$. I am thinking about a Parasound Classic 5250, but I am waiting to audition the new NuForce Reference 9 amps. I agree that all watts are not equally created and that the sound of the amp is most important. There certainly are a lot of choices out there-pretty tough to demo them all, or even 3 or 4 of them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found out yesterday that I will be able to do an in-home demo of the Cary Cinema 5 as well as the Arcam, so I'll post my results after I listen to them both (in about 2-3 weeks). Haven't thought about NuForce - maybe I'll check them out.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfinley001
Found out yesterday that I will be able to do an in-home demo of the Cary Cinema 5 as well as the Arcam, so I'll post my results after I listen to them both (in about 2-3 weeks). Haven't thought about NuForce - maybe I'll check them out.
Good luck. I have read some very good reviews of the Cinema 5. It is supposed to be very musical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.