AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about what things people have done to personalize their theater and make it their own. Obviously people put up posters of their favorite films but what else? It can be anything . . . how you customized a remote, your lighting control, the decor, memorabilia . . . anything. Include pictures if possible:D

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Great idea for a thread Mattman! I am interested in this as well.

Personally, I have a used a golf theme in my theater. It is nearing completion, and I hope to be taking some pictures for the gallery pretty soon. Don't know how many other HT nuts are also golf nuts, but I am! The Masters was great on an 8 foot screen! My theater uses green paint, golf prints on the walls, and I have a real golf hole sunk in the floor for putting before the feature or during intermissions!

Sorry I don't have pics yet, but I wanted to wait until I could say that it was pretty much done before I posted them.

David

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Mattman,

In the next few days I'm going to post some better pics of my theater but I've made some things and used variants of some others ideas in mine. The Art Deco theme seemed to be right for some reason but getting together information to carry it out was another matter. I saw the large half circle around the door knob in a Marx brothers movie. I've seen the port hole type window in the door in several places and the brass kick plate adds class. The port hole window in my HT is a circular picture frame with glass and a piece of black velvet behind it ( people often walk up to the things and say what is in this room as they are looking into a picture frame!). The brass half circle on the door is Gilded Brass spray paint. The kick plate at the bottom of the door is also spray painted on but I added six brass screws for effect( fools almost everyone!) The Art Deco accent above the screen is rigid foam insulation cut into shapes covered with construction paper first painted gold or flat black. The marquee is made the same way. I'll be posting better pictures of the collage but it is from scanned images from DVD boxes printed on photo paper glued onto foam core and cut out.( I got this idea from the displays at Planet Hollywood).

Art

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine has to be my candy counter and popcorn machine in my "lobby" (actually a front hallway.) Nothing really says the movies like a real popcorn popper and some Junior Mints :)

I also have purple velvet curtains behind my TV and rack and along one wall. I think that adds a nice bit of ambience.

You can see pics of the DIY candy counter and the popcorn machine here:

The Roling Realto

Take Care,

Grey

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would say one touch I like in my theater is the solid glass halo accents around my ceiling can's. I don't have a picture downloaded of them at the moment but I will add them to the website soon.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As part of my (long) review on the Aerial speakers package I purchased last year, which I posted in four parts at the Audio Video Improvement forum (those interested in having the whole review in one single WORD file, can e-mail me at [email protected] ), I included one section to describe my dedicated A/V room. These are the highlights:

+ Cavern-like ceiling, with thousands of small "stalagtites" hanging from it.

+ Bronze/glass dinner table and matching floorstand lamp by renowned artist Francisco Godoy (table shaped like an artist palette).

+ Small gargoyles here and there, watching over the seating area.

+ Framed movie posters as well as reproductions of Baroque-period pictures.

+ Bell'Oggetti and Billy Bags Pro Series A/V furniture (100% WAF-proof).

J.V.

·
Registered
114 Posts
One wall in my Theater room is dedicated to fly fishing and includes a poster of a river runs through it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have several favorites in my new theater......I can't choose just one.

- 9 framed movie posters

- Stadium leather recliner seating for six

- My GrafikEye 3104 Lighting Control controlled by my Marantz RC2000MKII Remote which has four programmable macro's

- Custom built AV equipment racks made from 3/4" Birch and completely finished by hand

- "NOW PLAYING" DVD marquee

- Various signed sports memorabilia (Hockey & Baseball)

Check out my link below for tons of pics of the entire construction process.

Good Thread!!

Brett

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Nicely done theater Brett. I wish I had photographed the progression of mine... too late now - it's nearly done.

Went through all 130 of your pics... You should be proud!

David

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice stuff, Brett. I'm getting close to the mud and tape stage of my theater so I'm enjoying looking at sites like yours that show the start to finish progression.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have all kinds of personal touches that makes my basement/theater unique....Pinball machines, gas pump, 100 year old player piano, signed movie poster, all which can be seen at....

http://photos.yahoo.com/Mich_Jeeper

But the items that get commented on the most are the built in fish tank with brass portholes and the one beam post that I couldn't 'hide'...so I made it into an old fashion street light. Couple of items you just don't see everywhere I guess....that's what makes each of these theaters on this forum personal and unique.

Steve

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:
Just curious about what things people have done to personalize their theater and make it their own.
The barbed wire, padlocks and "beware of owner" signs are generally enough to ensure that everyone knows the theater is mine and not to be messed with. I mean, don't get me wrong...I love my wife and kid and all, but really...:D

--Steve

·
Registered
468 Posts
I bought 4 plain white sconce lights, and my daughter painted a cactus, a bird, a bulls head, and a lizard on them. I also took a piece of paneling from my favorite restaurant (they remodeled, its OK) and I am going to make a plaque with it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm putting old movie projectors in mine. So far I've only got 1 old 16mm projector with a couple of plastic reels. I am going to add more as I find them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My lighting includes four inexpensive Home Depot sconces whose frosted glass shades I discarded, replacing them with 4-segment stained glass shades I made myself. I used opaque black glass in the segments facing the screen and dark green glass in other segments to complement the grren carpet. There is a small window in the outside wall, and I replaced the glass in it with stained glass panels from the same green and black...but it's on the west, and the afternoon sun is still too bright, so it stays covered with a dark green curtain most of the time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I suppose if you count the color scheme, cabinet design and furniture selection, you could say that I customized that stuff... but the only real personalization I've done is my crestron startup screen:

http://garagehost.com/avsimages/vaultstartup.gif

·
Registered
142 Posts
 lindsay.gst.com/ht

We bought from E-bay 3 Film Reels to hang on wall, bug metal 35mm reels they are awesome. My Favorite is what my wife did around the top of the room, she took a bunch of 8mm plastic reel (alsofrom e-bay) attached them to the wall and drew (by hand) a film design between each one.

We also looked around at things we or family had around and used them to make up more things in the room, i.e. Star Wars Shelf, CaddyShack toys, Wizard of OZ memorabilia etc.

Howard

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.